FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Crazy Capizzi tiki carving steps
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Crazy Capizzi tiki carving steps
CrazyCapizzi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-11 5:00 pm   Permalink

1.First things first, i like to pick a good solid palm trunk. Preferably cabage(sable) palm or coconut. Washingtonian is ok too but it seems to rot a little quicker. i have never had good luck with queen. It rots the quickest.
2. i find a good one and i call it "sweet meat"!
3. i find the best side to carve by standing it up and see how it sits best.
4. I strip off the bark 3/4 of the way around it.

View Profile of CrazyCapizzi Send a personal message to CrazyCapizzi  Goto the website of CrazyCapizzi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CrazyCapizzi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-11 5:11 pm   Permalink

5. Once the bark is stripped off you have a clean slate to draw on if you cant just imagine how it will look. It is best to draw a line down the center. I see many new carvers twist up the face by not keeping center.
6. i like to start on the nose first because i can use it as my center point and everything flows off that.

View Profile of CrazyCapizzi Send a personal message to CrazyCapizzi  Goto the website of CrazyCapizzi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CrazyCapizzi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-11 5:23 pm   Permalink

7.get it all rough carved
8. Set it up and see how it sits, if it is crooked you can take some off here and there to correct it. Dont be afraid to go too deep. In my opinion deeper looks better.

CrazyCapizzi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-11 5:27 pm   Permalink

9. Now you can do your finish passes to smooth it out. I only have a 1" wood chisel, but you can get different ones to make it easier

CrazyCapizzi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-11 5:56 pm   Permalink

10. Time to burn one, get a fine flame torch and burn all the grooves. If the torch is too big it looks like crap.
11. Use a wire brush and brush off the excess burn marks.

CrazyCapizzi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-11 6:13 pm   Permalink

12. Step back admire your artwork and take a picture.
13. go to tikiroom.com and post it for everyone to see.

Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-11 7:59 pm   Permalink

Well you sure made it look easy. Thanks for sharing the progress pics.

View Profile of Trailerpark Tiki Send a personal message to Trailerpark Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CrazyCapizzi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-12 09:42 am   Permalink

I forgot to mention a sharp chisel is very important. I sharpen my chisels about 2-3 times during a carving. I am also using a cheezy harbor freight wood chisel, so a good set may need less sharpning due to better quality heat treating.

If you never seem to get a smooth cut or it looks like the wood fibers are always fuzzy, its probably your chisel, not the wood.

CrazyCapizzi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-13 6:41 pm   Permalink

My latest work in progress. Im trying something new so i started off a little different.

CrazyCapizzi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-13 6:51 pm   Permalink

CrazyCapizzi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-13 6:55 pm   Permalink

CrazyCapizzi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-13 6:58 pm   Permalink

CrazyCapizzi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-13 7:06 pm   Permalink

CrazyCapizzi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-13 7:10 pm   Permalink

CrazyCapizzi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-13 7:14 pm   Permalink

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation