FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts the vaguely artistic scratchings of elgarbo - Volcano Tiki progress
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
the vaguely artistic scratchings of elgarbo - Volcano Tiki progress
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-24 08:58 am   Permalink

Awesome

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Elgarbo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-02 8:53 pm   Permalink

Well I had to take a bit of a break from the paints as I returned to work this week. Got a chance to return to my adventures in art land today, though. Mostly finished the coral now, and redid the bottom of the tiki in an attempt to make it look wet. Now I've finally started on the sky, which I expect will be the most enjoyable part of the painting.

View Profile of Elgarbo Send a personal message to Elgarbo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Elgarbo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-08 6:08 pm   Permalink

It has only taken a week, but I've pretty much got the whole of the right side of the sky finished. The left side should be a walk in the park from here.

Here's the latest progress:

View Profile of Elgarbo Send a personal message to Elgarbo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-08 7:25 pm   Permalink

Love it!!!

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Elgarbo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-15 10:16 pm   Permalink

Went back to work a few weeks ago, which severely impinged on my available painting time. However, this weekend I decided to just get stuck into it until it was all done... and about six hours later, here we are.

I present the completely finished final version of "The Beacon."

16 x 12 inches
Acrylic on canvas

[ This Message was edited by: Elgarbo 2013-02-15 22:18 ]

Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-16 4:36 pm   Permalink

It's great.

View Profile of Tabu Send a personal message to Tabu  Email Tabu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-16 9:52 pm   Permalink

Dat kicks ars...

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-17 12:31 am   Permalink

Simply amazing! Love it!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-17 1:42 pm   Permalink

Ditto everyone else. Love it!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-17 1:42 pm   Permalink

Ditto everyone else. Love it!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Elgarbo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-17 10:29 pm   Permalink

Hey thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it. Just another step along an artistic journey.

I'm planning on trying to rig up a few flash units and get it photographed a little more professionally, so it doesn't have light reflecting off the canvas. If that ends up happening I might do a cute little limited run of prints, on the off chance anyone is interested.

Anyway, now I've gotta figure out what to paint next. I think I'll go easy on the detail on the next one... started to go a bit crazy looking at the same canvas over the weeks.

Canvas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-19 5:32 pm   Permalink

Love the coral--so bright!

Yeah, the reflection off the canvas is so annoying when photographing work. I find plenty of natural light+no flash can help.

View Profile of Canvas Send a personal message to Canvas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-19 5:43 pm   Permalink

Seems like photographing art is more difficult than creating it. Sometimes outdoors in the shade during broad daylight is a good compromise, bright enough but not too harsh. Or outside on an overcast day.

I don't buy much wall art but I'd pay $25 for that on a tshirt

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Elgarbo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-25 11:18 pm   Permalink

Well, I decided to start a new piece - a little smaller this time at 8x10 so I can knock it over more quickly. Another tiki, this time peering over the rim of a volcano.

Had a few false starts laying down colours - couldn't quite figure out how to get that lava glow work to my expectations, but I think I'm there now. You can see the remnants of the previous attempts on his nose and brow.

Haven't figured out what detail I'll add to this one.. worry about it when I get the tiki all sorted.

Elgarbo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-27 9:28 pm   Permalink

Had a bit of a chance to slap down some paint this week, which means this painting is progressing quicker than I'd expected.

Here's a detail shot. Will probably revisit the tiki later and add some more detailed carvings but for now, the next step is to figure out the background.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation