FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Adrift, Denver, CO (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Adrift, Denver, CO (restaurant)
Freeland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-21 7:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-08-21 04:02, tikijackalope wrote:
http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/18/adrift-tiki-bar-little-man-ice-cream-denver-developer-paul-tamburello/

A Denver Post article states that the new owner plans to reopen Aug 31. I'll miss it as I'll be in town for the Denver Modernism Show and will leave Denver Aug 30.

Sweet I will be flying in rather late on the 31st... May be an appropriate place for a night cap!

View Profile of Freeland Send a personal message to Freeland  Email Freeland Goto the website of Freeland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 24 days ago; 08:25 am   Permalink

Anyone hear any updates? Just so happens I'll be passing through Denver tonight and was hoping things were kept on schedule but I'm betting not. It does not appear the new owners have even taken over the website or social media for the place. Anyone have suggestions on a good place to get food or drink while in town? We're considering Casa Bonita despite the horrific food reviews and fact they don't have a bar.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 24 days ago; 10:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-08-31 08:25, mikehooker wrote:
We're considering Casa Bonita despite the horrific food reviews and fact they don't have a bar.

Casa Bonita is always a good time, and take the food for what it's worth, part of the price of admission to see an amazing relic from the 70's - 80's with amazing indoor décor. For anyone who is into tiki bars, Casa Bonita is worth seeing due to their own style of intense detail in the theming.

The food is not "horrific" as I recall from my last visit about 7 years ago. It's just not really high-end. It's entertainment and atmosphere first, and food second, in my opinion. Go see it while you can - there's no telling how long places like this last - it has an INDOOR WATERFALL DIVER SHOW.

Seriously, tikiphiles should try hard to visit when they're in the area just to see the magnitude of the effort in theming the various areas.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 24 days ago; 12:33 pm   Permalink

I 100% agree about Casa Bonita. That, and the Buckhorn Exchange, were the highlight restaurants of my Denver visit in February...(unfortunately) not Adrift.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Freeland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 24 days ago; 2:22 pm   Permalink

looks like mike beat me to it... aloha shirt packed just in case.

i land shortly after 8 and plan to buzz by the adrift location just in case.

if not, casa bonita is on my list for the weekend.

View Profile of Freeland Send a personal message to Freeland  Email Freeland Goto the website of Freeland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 24 days ago; 5:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-08-31 14:22, Freeland wrote:
looks like mike beat me to it... aloha shirt packed just in case.

i land shortly after 8 and plan to buzz by the adrift location just in case.

if not, casa bonita is on my list for the weekend.

Packed mine too but looks to be for naught. I called over there as you did the other day and no answer, just a machine saying they plan to reopen beginning of September. Bummer. We'll be getting into Denver around 7:30, freshen up and head over to Casa around 8:30 or 9. Gimme a call if you wanna join us.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 11 days ago; 10:04 am   Permalink

A little more info about Adrift at this link, including an updated re-opening date of September 15:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/front-range/denver/adrift-tiki-bar-gets-new-look-new-purpose

I'm planning on being in the Denver area this Sunday, so hopefully it'll be open and I can convince the friends I'll be with to go....

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 11 days ago; 8:17 pm   Permalink

Here's another story about what the "New" Adrift Bar will be:

http://303magazine.com/2016/09/adrift-tiki-bar-will-reopen-under-little-mans-ownership-on-saturday/

Aloha seems to be the proper greeting to welcome back Adrift, the popular South Broadway tiki bar, because not only are we saying hello to something new, but also goodbye to its former self. Because as of this Saturday, new owners Paul Tamburello and Loren Martinez of Little Man Ice Cream will debut their revamped version of the Polynesian haunt after announcing the takeover earlier last month. But don’t expect any giant milk cans, though, since much of Adrift 2.0 will stay true to its original spirit by honoring its Hawaiian roots. However, the kitschy vibe that characterized the Adrift of yesteryear is said to be no longer, and in its place will be an attempt to create an immersive cultural experience:

“We are not interested in exploiting a newfound ‘Tiki-Craze.” We want to immerse ourselves in the Polynesian culture, learn about it and celebrate it,” explained Tamburello. “Unlike kitsch, Tiki-tacky bars, Adrift is focused on authenticity, a welcoming spirit and an invitation to escape.”

A part of this new-found identity will include a new bar and food menu that draws upon the “culture and iconography of the South Pacific to embrace its mystical power and fresh flavors.” One of Adrift’s chefs’ Shaun Motata, was born and raised in Hawaii and brings a menu built with small plates, Pu Pu platters and Hawaiian mix plates, as well as, Kilauea Poke, Guava BBQ Baby Back Ribs, Pele Chicken Wings, Kona Kahlua Pork Sliders and even a Spam burger made with grilled pineapple chutney. Little Man confirmed there will be ice cream, but are keeping that portion of the menu a secret for the time being.

While it seems the restaurant attempts to steer away from kitschy trends, the bar embraces the classic tiki menu and highlights potent rum-based drinks including Mai Tais, Zombies, Hurricanes and a shareable “Scorpion Bowl.”

For Tamburello, though, the driving factor for purchasing Adrift is far beyond trends and seeks to satisfy a “lifelong dream” with the creation of the Mana Immersion Fund. The fund, which is named after the Polynesian word for spiritual power, will benefit from a percentage of every sale at Adrift and provides supports to aspiring humanitarians while they “immerse themselves in projects of goodwill in communities all over the world.” Tamburello, known for his philanthropic deeds at Little Man, explained that the fund is the force behind the decision to buy Adrift, stating that his passion to give back is “the inspiration behind this whole thing.”

Come say Aloha to the new Adrift with its grand re-opening celebration this Saturday, September 17 from 4 p.m. to 1 a.m. with the kitchen open until midnight.

From the article it sounds like it will be more like an Hawaiian food restaurant and bar. Perhaps calling it a "politically correct" Tiki Bar!

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 5 days ago; 10:36 pm   Permalink

Anyone been there since the reopening?

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation