FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Adrift, Denver, CO (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Adrift, Denver, CO (restaurant)
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 24 days ago; 09:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-08-27 09:17, tikijimmy wrote:
Looks Nice!

Any idea who carved the two large tikis at the door?

They are large, but pineapples and big teeth don't do it for me personally.

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijimmy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 24 days ago; 3:50 pm   Permalink

I thought Wayne Coombs did I great job with his big teeth tikis....of course Wayne Coombs HAD big teeth....huge grin...great guy (and he occasionally used a pineapple pattern or two)...to each his own I reckon....

View Profile of tikijimmy Send a personal message to tikijimmy  Email tikijimmy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 24 days ago; 4:37 pm   Permalink

Just at Adrift yesterday. They changed the window shutters since the last time I sat inside (my previous visit was spent on the patio), so the ambiance was a little darker. Food was great, drinks were good, music still left something to be desired. As I was leaving, Pop Tiki arrived (with his wife, I assume) and began showing some of his new mugs to management.

As for those toothy tikis, they were reused from the original incarnation of the bar. Perhaps not the best first impression, but there are plenty of other "authentic" tikis once you make it inside, so I can live with them.

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 23 days ago; 07:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-08-27 15:50, tikijimmy wrote:
I thought Wayne Coombs did I great job with his big teeth tikis....of course Wayne Coombs HAD big teeth....huge grin...great guy (and he occasionally used a pineapple pattern or two)...to each his own I reckon....

Totally agree...Wayne Coombs is the only one who could pull it off. His worked. RIP

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 23 days ago; 09:37 am   Permalink

I do remember there was at least one guy who worked for Wayne at one time who left working for Wayne and ripped off Wayne's style to hear Wayne tell it back then.

And yeah Wayne's style could get a bit big in the teeth and the pineapples could give a not so great vibe at times.

Great guy Wayne was, I have a few of his tiki and love them.
No pineapples, and no big teeth on mine.

BUT Wayne was pretty good about putting Mai Tiki on his work so these may not be his.
They do have his style, look.

TC had a love hate relation ship for Wayne's work, but it was funny, pitiful? to see the folks who did not really like Wayne when he was alive absolutely LOOooVvEEe Wayne when he died.

Even had a Hukilau dedicated to Wayne right after he died I think.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation