FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki History - The Tahitian in Studio City and Pasadena, CA
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki History - The Tahitian in Studio City and Pasadena, CA
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-06-25 12:08 pm   Permalink

Page 152 of the Book of Tiki shows a great menu cover, exterior photo, and lamp from The Tahitian in Studio City. Its mascot was that great Bumatay-inspired tiki.

It turns out there was also a location in Pasadena. I've finally got postcards showing the interiors of both and thought y'all might like to see them. If puamana might be persuaded, I believe she has the menus to both locations and might show us the differences and what they looked like inside.

Here is the interior of the Studio City Tahitian:

The address on the back of the postcard is 12010 Ventura Boulevard, Studio City, California. One Block East of Laurel Canyon. "Planning A Party - Banquet Rooms Accommodating from 30 to 225 Persons. Open Every Day. Complete Cantonese and American Luncheons Plus A Continental Buffet. Your Hosts: Don Avalier & Bill Dove".

I see a nice clamshell wall sconce and a lit-up tiki mask:

Next is the interior of the Pasadena location, showing a really fine cieling and clamshell waterfall.

In both postcards you can see plenty of those tiki lamps on the tables that are shown on pg 152 of the BOT:

A couple of matchbooks, (these seem to be fairly common and I've seen them often on Ebay. Futura-girl gave me one of these)

Doctor Z also has a nice glass ashtray from the Tahitian that he picked up for a buck at a local swapmeet.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-25 12:24 pm   Permalink

Here's a lunch menu from the Tahitian's Pasadena location, at 137 S. Lake St.:

The cover has just a slight variation from the Studio City menus. The inside of this one is more plain than the Studio City versions, with just lunch selections offered, and no tropical drinks or illustrations on the pages.

A dinner menu for their Studio City location (w/ same cover as their drink menu below ) has some nice illustrations inside:

Following is an appetizer & drink menu for their Studio City location, at 12010 Ventura Blvd:

Its a little more elaborate inside, with lots of drinks & drink illustrations. There are 4 pages of cocktails, categorized in small ( Gardenia Cocktail, Angel's Snake Pit, Zambuonga, etc.), medium ( King Kamehameha, Pele's Kiss, Tiger's Tooth, Surf Rider, Satan's Fang, Tahitian Grog, Head Shrinker, Smog Cutter, Fires of Pele, Kanaka Boy Punch,etc. ), and large ( Stingray, Tahitian Barrel, Lapu Lapu, Stingray in a clam shell for 4)

A few closeups of the drink mugs:

Anyone have any of these ?

There's a story of the " Romance of Rum" on the inside back cover, giving the history of rum, explaining the wide varieties, noting Don the Beachcomber as the originator of many of their rum drinks, as well as Trader Vic's influence of both drinks & Polynesian style foods.

[ This Message was edited by: puamana on 2003-06-25 12:27 ]

[ This Message was edited by: puamana on 2003-12-11 08:09 ]

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-06-25 1:16 pm   Permalink

Nice stuff as always! Damn- I want a "Serpent Of Doom" right now! Killer drink name. I love how it's a Smog Cutter in So Cal. Were there original mugs from there?

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-25 3:51 pm   Permalink

Sabu - Any idea if the Royal Tahitian in Ontario was owned/operated by the same people? The font is exactly the same, but we all know there was lots of 'borrowing' of restaurant names, graphics, etc. going on at that time.

My pics from the front of the postcard came out too dark, I'll repost them later.

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy

Posted: 2003-06-25 11:36 pm   Permalink

Thanks Zulu - I never noticed that before! It seems likely there was some connection with the Royal Tahitian in Ontario. I'm going to go look at my Royal Tahitian postcard and matchbook and see if I can find out anything more. Thanks for the tip!

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-26 10:00 am   Permalink

On the subject of restaurants "borrowing" names & graphics from other restaurants, here's one that uses the Tahitian menu cover graphics :

No indication as to where the Mai Tai was. The inside of the menu is much more basic than the Tahitian, with a handwritten menu offering more basic fare.

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-27 09:45 am   Permalink

Thank you for the very interesting posts.

Excellent historical urban archeology.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-11 12:28 pm   Permalink

Here is a Coconut mug that I recently acquired from the Tahitian.

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-11 12:37 pm   Permalink

I guess the air quality was already suffering when the Tahitian was around, hence, the "Smog Cutter". The Satan's fang looks interesting too!

Scotty

View Profile of Kanaka Send a personal message to Kanaka  Email Kanaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-11 12:49 pm   Permalink

Sabu, keep posting pics like that, and you too may end up becoming a Tiki Special Agent. Thanks, they're very interesting.

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
snarkoutgirl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-12-11 4:58 pm   Permalink

Here is a pic of some Tahitian souvenirs my mom saved from a date she went on with my dad in 1964. It includes a napkin, the check stub, and a packet of sugar. I am sooo glad she is a packrat...

View Profile of snarkoutgirl Send a personal message to snarkoutgirl  Email snarkoutgirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho

Posted: 2003-12-11 5:13 pm   Permalink

Wow, dig those drink prices! $5.00 for a Lapu Lapu for 4, $2.50 for a Serpent of Doom. Compare that to the $8 to $15 price range at Tiki-Ti today.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-25 5:45 pm   Permalink

Like a lot of folks, I have the Tahitian matchbooks....

But today, at a currency exchange store I found a "souvenir" version of the Studio City menu:

It's about 5.5" high, about 4" wide - and the date on the interior says 6/1959. Here's a few more pix - not all of them, but it looks to replicate the big menu...

I'll probably never find a big one in the wild - so I'm happy with this little guy...

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-25 6:37 pm   Permalink

Nice find, Tangaroa !

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-18 2:13 pm   Permalink

I thought I'd bump this to see if anyone has a picture of the lamp pictured on page 152 of the BoT? The lamp looks ceramic - was there ever a mug of the same design? This is one of my favourite menu/logo tikis and I think I might have a crack at interpreting it in stone. Any other pics of ephemera with the logo tiki would be appreciated. Cheers!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation