FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki I Hate google!
I Hate google!
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-26 2:42 pm   Permalink

Damn, for 2 months now Google has been listing Tikiroom.com on the 18th page when you search for "tiki". It used to be in the top 10. What's up with that?

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-26 4:21 pm   Permalink

There's been a flurry of articles recently about the tacit power that Google commands. There was pretty solid evidence that Google searches are actually beginning to influence government policy and world economies.
There's also been a lot of whining and lawsuits regarding exactly the situation you mention. Probably just a matter of time before another engine comes along that falls into favor.
Maybe you aren't sending your "preferred search results position" checks to the right address?

Here's a link to one such article:
http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/06/25/google/index.html

[ This Message was edited by: tiki-bot on 2003-06-26 17:09 ]

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mambo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-06-26 7:31 pm   Permalink

Google has recently been advertising their
new adwords pay per click advertising in
most major magazines and on TV. In this
program you "bid" on search terms to get
number one or close to number one ranking.
It has become very popular because your
listing is immediate after paying a specified
deposit. So if someone or organization has bid $5.00 per click on "Tiki" they will
be within the top listings if that is
the high bid. The moment someone else bids
$5.01, they are #1.

http://google.com/adwords

View Profile of Mambo Send a personal message to Mambo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-27 04:30 am   Permalink

Thanks guys:

Tikibot: Yeah, I've read a few of those. The main reason I'm whining though is not because Google ranks the site lowly, but the fact that 2 months ago it was HIGH!, And to have the ranking fluctuate like that just makes no sense. How did I go from #10 to #180 in one month when I DIDN'T CHANGE ANYTHING on the website?!!? I can't attribute that to the 169 sites in front of me all of a sudden becoming more relevant and visited than tikiroom.com.

Mombo: Thanks for the link. AdWords looks pretty neat -- but it looks like it doesn't change your ranking as much as it adds a little ad off to the right side of the page. I'll keep working on it. Perhaps I'll walk over to Google and wait in their lobby until someone will answer my question.

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation