FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Gibbo's Hale KuKu Bar
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Gibbo's Hale KuKu Bar
Gibbo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-10-22 06:49 am   Permalink

Perth - Western Australia...

My first ever new topic after all these years of visiting here. Hale KuKu Bar (House of Ku...or two)renovations 2012, near completion....

Finally made the decision this year it was time for my dream bar to become a reality. The old tiki room was ripped apart, excess items were sold off to fund the new build and after about eight or so weekends of solid hard work, the new and improved Hale KuKu Bar is just about finished. It has been a labor of love and a real learning curve to get this far, it's all been so much fun too. More fun on the way now with time to relax and enjoy a nice Mai Tai for me and a frozen Strawberry Daiquiri for my beautiful wife Georgie.

My sincere thanks to all here on TC for the great inspiration, info and all the fine photos of your rooms posted over the years, I have learned so much from just looking and reading about your experiences and have now been able to put all this into practice building my bar...I truly hope to have done this.. and you all, justice.

And now....insert drum roll...

The entrance foyer.

A bar sign still to be made for above the doors.

Those carved doors.

Behind the doors....

The lounge area...

A quiet corner.

6 footers from PNG. Just arrived Tuesday.

A vintage sign from a local bar.

So, who's up for one?

Please bear in mind that I have not finished decorating by a long shot and this is straight after putting everything back into the room and the tools down on Sunday afternoon, so there is much more to come down the track. I just wanted to finally post something for you all to see.

OK, now that you have all seen it, I do hope you like it as much as I do.... I'm going to put my feet up and relax with that drink now!

Many thanks again to all,
Gibbo

View Profile of Gibbo Send a personal message to Gibbo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-22 07:10 am   Permalink

Congratulations on a beautiful bar! Great job on your build. Those carved doors are simply amazing.

Cheers to you!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-22 08:01 am   Permalink

I love the way you constructed your ceiling at the entrance,very nice. Everything else looks great also. You have a good sense of design. Would like more pictures.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-22 08:22 am   Permalink

Great job there. Love the way you blended all the different wall textures. Looks to me like a nice place to sit back and have that cocktail. Thanks for sharing all those pics.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-22 08:31 am   Permalink

Great looking bar. You must have been collecting PNG for awhile.

[ This Message was edited by: MaukaHale 2012-10-22 08:31 ]

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-22 09:57 am   Permalink

Hey Gibbo What's the cover charge to get into Hale kuku?
Well done !
David, Los Angeles area

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-22 10:05 am   Permalink

Gibbo, Took a second look at your great pix. They are screaming for a narative-maybe some history on how you acquired that great bar in your entry ( looks to be "vintage").The doors are absolutely stunning,tell me about em.
Cheers,
David
P S you don't need a drum roll, you need the Marine Corps Band!

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2012-10-22 10:12 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-22 12:14 pm   Permalink

awesome...

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-22 12:52 pm   Permalink

Yeah, those doors are amazing! We are all envious. Great job on a great looking room!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-22 3:43 pm   Permalink

Awesome! My only problem is you're a little too far away for me to drive over for a Mai Tai.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-22 8:06 pm   Permalink

Great job Gibbo!! Looking very nice indeed.

Love the use of the large bamboo in the round on the ceiling,
really lends a look of authenticity and true character.

The walls blend nicely already and I think they'll just come
alive as you decorate further!

Cocktails? - Hell Yeah!!

p.s. really glad you decided to hang-on to the vintage bar

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lodge 9
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-10-23 04:08 am   Permalink

looks Fantastic!, love the PNG Tikis and the large bamboo poles on the ceiling.
Great Work!

View Profile of Lodge 9 Send a personal message to Lodge 9  Email Lodge 9     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gibbo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-10-23 04:34 am   Permalink

Thank you all so much for the kind comments on my bar build, very much appreciated.

Q-tiki - Glad you liked it, means a lot.

hiltiki - Thank you for the compliments, I am humbled.

littlegiles - Dale, I'm loving your build too and yes, I'm looking forward to spending a little more time in there with out the electric drill in hand.

MaukaHale - Some of that PNG stuff is just copies but some of them are really old, there is far more of those PNG carvings down here than the Hawaiian style carvings. Those big 6 footers came from Madang in New Guinea to North Queensland in a Blackhawk helicopter and then from North Queensland to Perth in a Greyhound bus around the very top of Australia, talk about well traveled...I really like those tikis you have in your bar and your bar in general, looking good.

nui'umi'umi - David, thanks mate. No cover charge for the Hale KuKu for you, let me know if you ever get down this way! The vintage rattan bar in the foyer came second hand years ago and the lady I bought it from had it shipped back from Singapore on a cruise ship in the 60's, seems to be a common thing here as the lounge suite was brought back to Perth the same way... and that came from the original owners too.

hang10tiki - Cheers and thanks, digging your Hawaiian Mai Tai post too. Looks like you had a ball doing that research.

lunavideogames - Those doors...would you be surprised if I told you I picked them up for 60 bucks. They were a bargain but needed a little bit of work to get them squared up. They came from an island to the north of here and are fairly soft timber, lots of cool carving though so they had to come home with me for the room build. Glad you like 'em.

Big Kahuna - Rick, it depends on what you are driving, it's not that far...really. Thanks buddy!

komohana - Bob, if i can get this room half as nice as yours I'll be a happy fellow. Yes, I thought about moving that rattan bar on as I was really short on space but when the time came, I just couldn't do it. Glad I hung onto it as it fits there perfectly there. I now have three bars in the house, go figure!

Lodge 9 - Glad you like it all, thank you.

Cheers, Mahalo and keep smiling,
Gibbo

[ This Message was edited by: Gibbo 2012-10-23 04:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Gibbo 2012-10-23 05:29 ]

View Profile of Gibbo Send a personal message to Gibbo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-23 04:55 am   Permalink

Great pad Gibbo. Those doors are great and i love the stone? Ku at the entrance.

I'm a little closer to you than the majority of TC members but you're still too far away for me to pop over for a drink.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-23 11:37 am   Permalink

I am loving it!!

Really excellent attention to detail.

It's got the vibe that makes me want to come in for a drink and never leave.

As you flesh it out further keep posting the progress pictures for all of us.

Great job!

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation