FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki New mug from Trader Sam's?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
New mug from Trader Sam's?
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-04 10:55 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the clarification, Wiz.
file under sub-category "ButtHurt" under "Bitch File" got ya!

You guys did notice that the bowl is based on the Enchanted Tiki Room
"Tiki Totem Stackable Mugs" by Kevin Kidney & Jody Daily, right?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackskeleton
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-11-05 12:38 am   Permalink

Hey, judge for yourself and get insight on why folks at Sam's chant the chant.

There's updating dated material and then there's... this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFsPDJ3VpIY

View Profile of tikijackskeleton Send a personal message to tikijackskeleton      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-05 09:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-11-04 22:55, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
You guys did notice that the bowl is based on the Enchanted Tiki Room
"Tiki Totem Stackable Mugs" by Kevin Kidney & Jody Daily, right?

I consider that a fairly loose interpretation at best:

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-05 11:20 am   Permalink

I'd say incredibly loose, there's very little resemblance.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTech
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-11-05 12:00 pm   Permalink

Forgive my ignorance but why do the figures appear upside down on the 1st edition Uh Oa! Bowl?

View Profile of TikiTech Send a personal message to TikiTech      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-05 12:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-11-05 12:00, TikiTech wrote:
Forgive my ignorance but why do the figures appear upside down on the 1st edition Uh Oa! Bowl?

No problem. That is because one of the figures (I'll continue this thought in a second) is Ngendei, the Earth Balancer from the Enchanted Tiki Room:

Ngendei
The Earth Balancer

A Legend Comes from the Tropic Sea
It May be True or Fantasy
'Tis Said When Pele Shakes the Lands
Ngendei Rocks and Rolls Upon his Hands

Legends say I'm balancing the earth,
but sad to say, I'm just hanging on.

Pele: I'm the one who's really sad
for when I smile it comes out mad.

Now upon closer view (I don't have my bowl at work so I'm judging this off of the web), I might be mistaken - I had assumed all 4 pillars were made up of Ngendei. It appears its time for me to eat my own hat and admit that some of the figures look like they've been carried over to the new Uh Oa bowl, and therefore are original creations from Tiki Farm. Do the folks over at Tiki Farm ever comment here? I'd love to get more behind the scenes info on some of the mugs that show up at Sam's, and it seems that it would settle some debate here as well.

[ This Message was edited by: kkocka 2014-11-05 12:51 ]

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SBJiminyC
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-11-05 12:56 pm   Permalink

I guess personally, I was looking at the new design as more of an original piece of art. The figures all emoting their own "Uh-Oh-a" response.

On the one hand people complain about Disney never creating anything original anymore, and then people complain there's no Disney reference in something like this. Can't keep everyone happy I suppose.

I wanted to add something else to this thought. From the Mahaloween event, I got the strong idea that the design of the mugs from the Shipwreck Barrel on out to now have originated with a design group within Disney products; and Tiki Farm is merely the producer of these. The Designer of the Shrunken Zombie mug was at the event.

Anyone have any deeper knowledge of this process?

[ This Message was edited by: SBJiminyC 2014-11-05 13:00 ]

View Profile of SBJiminyC Send a personal message to SBJiminyC      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-05 4:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-11-05 12:56, SBJiminyC wrote:

Something I myself am curious on too. I can ask around with various people I know, but its a tough one. Tiki Farm produces them for sure but I don't know if they do or don't design any of them.
Tim Wollweber did the sculpt of the Shrunken Zombie Head mug, but he doesn't regularly do work for Disney. I wonder if he's buddy-buddy with Tiki Farm so they + Disney took the design via commission or what.

Again, some insight from Tiki Farm would be super helpful but they might be unable to comment due to business relations/privacy agreements. In fact, much of Trader Sam's menu is in thanks to MarkeTeam Inc, a food service and design group that creates original menus and menu designs for various restaurants, groups, etc.

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-05 7:13 pm   Permalink

Disney has strict design control of everything (as in complete control freaks)
and lots of privacy agreements to adhere to when doing any business with them.

I have asked Holden (TikiFarm) about the mugs etc. for Trader Sam's
and he can only say he is contractually unable to talk about them.

Doug Horne went through the same hoops, when he did Artwork for Disney
I have other friends who work or have worked for them and they have some tales to tell
unfortunately I am not at liberty to relay those in public.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
closettiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-06 10:23 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: closettiki 2014-11-07 10:58 ]

View Profile of closettiki Send a personal message to closettiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
closettiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-06 10:25 pm   Permalink

How' much is the new Uh Oa bowl ? With the concoction and without ?

View Profile of closettiki Send a personal message to closettiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-07 10:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-11-06 22:23, closettiki wrote:
How' much is the new Uh Oa bowl ? With the concoction and without ?

Its a stinger - $32 w/o the drink and I think like $42 with the drink.

wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-07 10:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-11-05 16:10, kkocka wrote:
Quote:

On 2014-11-05 12:56, SBJiminyC wrote:

Something I myself am curious on too. I can ask around with various people I know, but its a tough one. Tiki Farm produces them for sure but I don't know if they do or don't design any of them. Tim Wollweber did the sculpt of the Shrunken Zombie Head mug, but he doesn't regularly do work for Disney. I wonder if he's buddy-buddy with Tiki Farm so they + Disney took the design via commission or what.

Again, some insight from Tiki Farm would be super helpful but they might be unable to comment due to business relations/privacy agreements. In fact, much of Trader Sam's menu is in thanks to MarkeTeam Inc, a food service and design group that creates original menus and menu designs for various restaurants, groups, etc.

I would imagine it is a pretty standard operation, Company goes to them with desire for mug, if they have an idea but no concept TF starts there. Disney has concept artists to do the sketches, TF translates it to a proof that can work for mass production/survive as drinkware, they sign off and it goes to China for production, shipped back here for final sign off, and there you go.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-10 05:10 am   Permalink

I know Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily were involved with designing and propping the bar, but what about the mugs? On the Miehana blog, I know there's at least some designs for the swizzle sticks that Sam's uses.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-10 10:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-11-10 05:10, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
I know Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily were involved with designing and propping the bar, but what about the mugs? On the Miehana blog, I know there's at least some designs for the swizzle sticks that Sam's uses.

They were responsible for some of the elements, mostly those that needed replication like the Wicked Wench and the totem poles. They did do a mug design or two along with the sticks. As usual, there's a few things that haven't seen light from all the work like the Mai Tai mug that's been created but is somewhere up on the shelves of "we'll get around to making it available someday." Such an example are the mugs created for the Enchanted Tiki Room's 50th anniversary which supposedly were created for the Polynesian Resort's 40th celebration that never occurred.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation