FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » New mug from Trader Sam's?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
New mug from Trader Sam's?
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 17 days ago; 10:29 am   Permalink

I wanna express my utter dislike for this, but I'm so fucking exhausted from doing the same on numerous other outlets that I just wanna report the basics here. I think Disney is starting to fuck up tiki lately and I'd even credit them in helping boosting the revival. But this...

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 17 days ago; 10:50 am   Permalink

Keith, that's where I was yesterday. Then this morning I came to un-forget the nature and scope of Sam's and the mix of stuff and stories and themes and attractions that they have woven into the place. Tiki is one of the elements.

I agree, the mug is not tiki. But it is a reflection of a number of other things which they have incorporated in Sam's. So I'm fine with the mug, but I don't want one. Thank the tiki gods for the booze in the place! They are serving drinks with better rums and ingredients than we can generally get at their other bars.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JasonMa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 17 days ago; 11:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-11-29 09:22, AceExplorer wrote:

It's interesting to hear of an overlay in Florida though. I have heard that they avoid overlays so they don't cause "disappointment" for foreign travelers who have certain attractions on their bucket lists. They do not want them to come visit and then find them altered for a holiday. So no Haunted Mansion or Small World overlays here ever... I guess Jungle Cruise / Jingle Cruise isn't in that same echelon of attractions?

Unlike the Haunted Mansion, which completely changes the plot and look of the ride, the Jingle Cruise overlay is just adding Christmas decorations to the existing scenes in the Jungle Cruise and swapping in a couple of Christmas jokes. So you see the whole ride but the elephant bathing pool has presents floating in the water, the camp has Christmas lights around it, an gorilla has a Santa cap on, etc. And the jokes aren't consistent from skipper to skipper normally anyway.

View Profile of JasonMa Send a personal message to JasonMa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 17 days ago; 12:29 pm   Permalink

My core, root idea of Tiki is basically Disneyland's Adventureland, probably because that's where I first encountered Tiki. So I'm totally fine mixing the Jungle Cruise, Swiss Family Robinson, generic-tropical-adventure aesthetic into my Tiki funtimes... We've even got things like a hippopotamus cookie jar and African animal masks in our Enchanted Tiki Kitchen as a throwback to the Jungle Cruise. A little project of mine is bashing one of those motorized Christmas ice skating pond tabletop decorations into a tabletop Jungle Cruise.

But man, that mug... I didn't care much for the Jingle Cruise when I actually saw it (at the end of the day, a theme of "Christmas garbage dumped around the jungle" is still just Christmas garbage dumped around the jungle) and that mug is... Maybe it looks better in other pictures? Even if they just went with a ceramic animal mug instead of a proper Tiki one, I'm sure they could have come up with one that's a little more fetching.

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 17 days ago; 10:11 pm   Permalink

Like Ace said, I'm less concerned with the fact that there’s no “tiki” on the tiki mug (How many of us have a Fu Manchu mug? Or a mermaid mug? Mine came from Foundation, which is pretty tiki...); my problem is that it looks like a complete mess. I was serious when I said I could barely see an elephant. Perhaps it looks better in person, but I doubt it. I certainly wouldn’t by that Mickey Mouse mug....

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 17 days ago; 10:58 pm   Permalink

Hamo, i saw the photo on Instagram a few days and i had no idea what it was until i read the caption that went with it. I just saw a gray blob with a few spots of colour. Then last night i was looking at another photo of it and reading all the comments and several people mentioned the 'baby' elephant in it. Did you notice that? I couldn't even see one elephant until i really looked for it and then find out that there is actually two.

The definition of what constitutes a Tiki mug was blurry enough to begin with but now it has just become a joke. You should see some of the absolute crap that is hash tagged as a #tikimug over on Instagram. And i'm not even talking about those things that are an ATTEMPT at a Tiki. Instead of calling them what they really are, a ceramic cocktail mug, businesses like Disney and Geeki-tiki (who produce all the Star Wars/Marvel etc. bullshit) are just completely bastardizing the scene and what Tiki really is, all to make a fast buck.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle Goto the website of swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JasonMa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 16 days ago; 07:48 am   Permalink

Early reports from Trader Sam's this morning are that there are 9000 of the mugs in the run, so they should be available for quite a while (this year's Disneyland Hitchhiking Ghosts mug was 10K and you can still get them today). They're also smaller than expected, with one picture I saw having them at the same height as a Starbucks cup. The pics being put out by fans pickin them up are better than Disney's pics.

View Profile of JasonMa Send a personal message to JasonMa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 16 days ago; 08:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-11-29 22:58, swizzle wrote:
Hamo, i saw the photo on Instagram a few days and i had no idea what it was until i read the caption that went with it. I just saw a gray blob with a few spots of colour. Then last night i was looking at another photo of it and reading all the comments and several people mentioned the 'baby' elephant in it. Did you notice that? I couldn't even see one elephant until i really looked for it and then find out that there is actually two.

The definition of what constitutes a Tiki mug was blurry enough to begin with but now it has just become a joke. You should see some of the absolute crap that is hash tagged as a #tikimug over on Instagram. And i'm not even talking about those things that are an ATTEMPT at a Tiki. Instead of calling them what they really are, a ceramic cocktail mug, businesses like Disney and Geeki-tiki (who produce all the Star Wars/Marvel etc. bullshit) are just completely bastardizing the scene and what Tiki really is, all to make a fast buck.

^^^^THIS +10000000

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 16 days ago; 10:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-11-29 22:58, swizzle wrote:

Not even half of my Tiki mug collection are actual Tiki subjects... Most of them are jungle and nautical themes (coconuts, mermaids, tropical birds, body parts, bamboo). I guess I'm part of the problem

Really, I agree that it's not the lack of Tiki subject that's the problem here, just an ugly mug design.

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 16 days ago; 10:55 am   Permalink

I understand your view on tiki being Disneyland's Adventureland, as the Enchanted Tiki Room was one of my early exposures as well, but as I'm sure you know it's important to remember that tiki is comprised of South Pacific cultures and elements - that is to say that there's a LOT of African elements mixed in there - so for those who are only familiar with Disney-tiki, it's easy to fall into "the Disney trap" by calling any mask a tiki mask, idol, carving, etc. But that African element disqualifies a lot of what the general population/lemmings call "tiki."

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 16 days ago; 12:01 pm   Permalink

To muck things up a bit more for us, there is at least one thread here on Tiki Central discussing "jungle-style" tiki. And it has lots of cool pictures.

"The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent"
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=34744&forum=1

It looks like Trader Sam's stuff crosses over into that category.

So as what others are calling "tiki mugs" evolve (or devolve) into Marvel, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. variants, there will still be a group like us who will be around to point out the degradation of the proper "tiki mug." Why don't we write articles for magazines and newspapers? We need to help get the word out about what this stuff really SHOULD be and what it SHOULD NOT be. I have, in the past, written emails to manufacturers who sold "tiki" stuff online that had nothing to do with real tiki, and I asked them to consider stopping their perpetuation of false examples of "tiki."

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 16 days ago; 1:57 pm   Permalink

It makes sense for Trader Sam's to crossover, because it's based on Adventureland, which itself crosses over. The Jungle Cruise is supposed to be the great rivers of Africa, Asia, and South America rolled into one, looked over by the Enchanted Tiki Room, across from which is a bazaar in the North African mold. It's a huge, romantic, tropical, jungle pastiche. The Tiki and the Safari "scenes" are a pretty heavily overlapping Venn diagram.

We've had this discussion a million times, though, haven't we? Each of those circles on the Venn diagram - Tiki and Safari - have their strong nucleus... Their "pure" form of South Pacific romance on the one hand and African romance on the other. The beach and the jungle. The beachcomber and the great white hunter. Tiki masks and tribal masks. We could complicate it even more if we wanted, by adding a third circle for the Caribbean. Another for Latin America. It's around the edges of those circles where it gets fuzzier... They fuzz into each other where they overlap, and fuzz in their own unique ways on their own edges. I like fantasy Tiki or tropical fantasy or whatever you want to call it, replete with mermaids and sea monsters and Jules Verne-style adventure. Disney works well for me. That said, I can feel a strong difference between Adventureland in Disneyland USA and Adventureland in Disneyland Paris... Disneyland Paris' has much more of a European colonial vibe and lacks any Tiki stuff, whereas Disneyland USA's feels more Tiki even through the attempted colonial aesthetics of the Jungle Cruise. It's like the Jungle Cruise takes place on whatever ecologically impossible South Pacific island the Swiss Family Robinson found.

I dunno'... Isn't there enough room for good people to hold down the nucleus of Tiki's purity and for others to jive around the edges, and all have a good time? Honestly, it's not like this was the first shitty mug that Trader Sam's has made. And no one is holding a gun to anyone's head to buy Geeki-Tiki mugs.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 16 days ago; 7:01 pm   Permalink

Good thoughts and reminders, well stated, Enchanted Tiki Goth.

King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 16 days ago; 9:50 pm   Permalink

Isn't an elephant figure with it's trunk down bad luck?

Quote:

On 2017-11-28 19:28, AceExplorer wrote:
Have not heard....

Nowhere to go but up from here, right? Lol!

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 15 days ago; 08:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-11-30 21:50, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
Isn't an elephant figure with it's trunk down bad luck?

So maybe the mug really is telling us "old people must die" (trunk is down on the big one) but "young people will take over the world" (trunk is up on the little one.)

Finally - we have an entirely new scandal here - to replace the current scandal and the purge of men who haven't been able to keep their zippers up in the workplace!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation