FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki New mug from Trader Sam's?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 )
New mug from Trader Sam's?
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 18 days ago; 3:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-10-02 14:39, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Perhaps the new Uh-Oa bowl is also bound for Orlando?

Can someone humor this east coaster and let me know what rums they use in the Uh-Oa?

I haven't had the pleasure of visiting Trader Sam's yet, but I'm trying to replicate the drink here based on the ingredient list. "Light and dark rums" doesn't tell me much. And do they include cinnamon syrup, or just the dusting of cinnamon over the flame?

They just use Bacardi Silver and Myers's Dark in the Uh Oa, along with dousing the sugar cubes in Bacardi 151 for the lighting. I believe they do use cinnamon syrup along in the drink, not to be confused with the additional cinnamon + nutmeg dusting they use for the flames. Overall its a nice show, but there are better drinks for much cheaper there (Murky Mojito, Passionate Python to mention a few).

Going back to the Mahaloween event, what Josh said above is spot on. Even for a Parks event, this was weak. You can't claim a turd is a diamond and then reveal that its not even worthy of turd-polishing. The 50th Tiki Room merch event was only a little more and the swag was much better - you could argue that you were paying specifically to get it. With Mahaloween, the costs were skewed and the payoff was very very poor. I'll be happy to get $20 for the junk. Had I been able to buy 2 additional LE mugs, that would have been cool - then I could have bought the regular zombie head mug at the standard price. And, like any event, there are plenty of leftovers so I don't know why that wasn't a possibility.

The new Uh Oa mug will probably just be in California for now - the bowl looks generic tiki as opposed to Disney-themed/branded. I wonder if this will be a fill-in specifically for the bar, much like the Kalifornia Ku mugs were for the Krakatoa or the many other Uh Oa bowls we've seen in the past. I'd really like to see a Mai Tai glass come out.

[ This Message was edited by: kkocka 2014-10-02 15:38 ]

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 18 days ago; 5:28 pm   Permalink

Mahalo for the info kkocka. Somebody gave me an Uh-Oa bowl recently, and I thought I'd try out the namesake drink since it's now confirmed to be coming east with Trader Sam's. Yeah, those are unfortunately Disney's light and dark rums of choice at Disney World too, so I kinda planned on using them or something similar (I refuse to mix with Bacardi Silver).

I'll post the recipe if it turns out well. I'm just making an educated guess based on the ingredients, the size of the bowl, and my experience with Tiki and Disney drinks. I'm assuming they use no more than 4 ounces of rum.

It's unfortunate that the event had so many snafus. It looked like a fun time based on the photos that I've seen. This site has some decent photos and coverage, though it didn't attempt to critique any issues:
http://www.disgeek.com/trader-sams-at-the-disneyland-hotel-hosts-the-inaugural-mahaloween-luau

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SchuTiki

Posted: 18 days ago; 7:21 pm   Permalink

At least the mug is pretty cool.

View Profile of SchuTiki Send a personal message to SchuTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
scottxwl
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 17 days ago; 02:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-09-30 20:00, tikijackskeleton wrote:
I also really lamented the fact that the shrunken Ned mug original concept was shown. Because I would have loved that mug and while I love the zombie mug, that Ned mug would have been better.

Does anyone have a picture of this?

View Profile of scottxwl Send a personal message to scottxwl  Email scottxwl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Chris

Posted: 17 days ago; 09:22 am   Permalink

[/quote]

Does anyone have a picture of this?

[/quote]

View Profile of Jungle Chris Send a personal message to Jungle Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
scottxwl
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 17 days ago; 11:00 am   Permalink

Thanks!

View Profile of scottxwl Send a personal message to scottxwl  Email scottxwl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 8 days ago; 8:33 pm   Permalink

A tribute to UH OA! by The Atomic Grog ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2014/10/07/trader-sams-grog-grotto-design-merchandise-revealed-during-mahaloween-event-at-disneyland/#uh-oa

The proportions are total guesswork based on what I've been told, but it seems to be what I'd expect from a Trader Sam's drink.

FYI, did anyone hear about Don Q replacing Barcardi at Disney bars?
http://www.caribbeanbusinesspr.com/news/disney-taps-prs-don-q-as-house-rum-100996.html

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 8 days ago; 10:53 pm   Permalink

I'll ask re: Don Q. Would be a slight improvement if not a lateral move. Still crushed about the loss of LH151 just as the boys at Sam's really started to use it and got all the approvals.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 7 days ago; 3:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-10-12 22:53, kkocka wrote:
I'll ask re: Don Q. Would be a slight improvement if not a lateral move. Still crushed about the loss of LH151 just as the boys at Sam's really started to use it and got all the approvals.

Total bummer felt here as well. I was in New Orleans last week and at a place called Cane & Table (on Decatur , a few blocks from Cafe DuMonde)that had stocked up on the LH151 (the owner apparently got wind of the production stop early on) and got to enjoy some nice craft cocktails with it.

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2 days ago; 09:14 am   Permalink

Slightly off topic, but I was Trader Sam's Sunday night and Michael was working. He used to be a bartender/manager at the old Don the Beachcomber. He makes four drinks not on the menu, but they are in my opinion, better than any of the drinks on the Sam's menu. He makes a Navy Grog, Lapu Lapu, a tropical version of the Greyhound, and a Mai Tai that includes fruit juices. I'm thinking the Mai Tai is a pared down version of the Don's Mai Tai recipe.

I liked the Greyhound the best, but all were excellent. He mentioned they are stronger than any of the drinks on the Sam's menu, but the alcohol is well hidden. He was right - I was buzzing for hours and had a small hangover to deal with the next morning.

Went back that night to have one last drink and Michael wasn't working. So I had a Shrunken Zombie Head and it tasted so unsophisticated compared to the previous night's drinks. Reinforced the fact that I've been ruined forever by well crafted cocktails!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiHula 2014-10-18 18:25 ]

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Yesterday; 01:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-10-18 09:14, TikiHula wrote:
Slightly off topic, but I was Trader Sam's Sunday night and Michael was working. He used to be a bartender/manager at the old Don the Beachcomber. He makes four drinks not on the menu, but they are in my opinion, better than any of the drinks on the Sam's menu. He makes a Navy Grog, Lapu Lapu, a tropical version of the Greyhound, and a Mai Tai that includes fruit juices. I'm thinking the Mai Tai is a pared down version of the Don's Mai Tai recipe...He mentioned they are stronger than any of the drinks on the Sam's menu, but the alcohol is well hidden.

Yeah Mike's an interesting guy, but I'll focus on the drinks. Most everybody there knows the Navy Grog and Lapu Lapu. He loves to pimp his King Kamehameha Mai Tai (once upon a time named "Captain Mike's Mai Tai" but I think was sorta nudged to rename it to something a bit less about himself, hah) which has like Sailor Jerry's and is basically close to the Captain's Mai Tai of Disney Resorts cocktail menu fame (meaning, not good) but perhaps slightly better than that. Still, the original Mai Tai that Sam's offers is far superior (all Mai Tai's include fruit juices). Now his Island Wolfhound, on the other hand, is a pretty legitimately good drink and I think I've finally whittled it down to the exact recipe - that's how much I've enjoyed it.

If any of Mike's drinks are stronger than what's on Sam's menu, its because he has a heavy pour - so in comparison to the recipes, ALL of Mike's drinks are strong. It's no secret around the place.

Back to the mug discussion, it seems that some people are getting the Mahaloween/Limited Edition version of the Shrunken Zombie Head mug, which is interesting - I'm not sure if its random or by request. I know there were a ton of leftovers from the dud Mahaloween event and I understood that those who worked the event were getting spares, but apparently that didn't happen or it did and there's still plenty to go around.

[ This Message was edited by: kkocka 2014-10-19 01:30 ]

Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Yesterday; 09:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

Back to the mug discussion, it seems that some people are getting the Mahaloween/Limited Edition version of the Shrunken Zombie Head mug, which is interesting - I'm not sure if its random or by request. I know there were a ton of leftovers from the dud Mahaloween event and I understood that those who worked the event were getting spares, but apparently that didn't happen or it did and there's still plenty to go around.

I was wondering about the number of Mahloween mugs too. There were 400 attendees, who each received one mug. Then all were given the chance to purchase an additional mug. I wonder how many people actually did buy the second mug...so that totals 800 minimum that must have been produced. I'm sure they would have had more to account for accidents and what not, they were not numbered. 1,000 seems like a nice round number to order, but that would be 25% more than needed.

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Yesterday; 1:14 pm   Permalink

I would imagine Tiki Farm would require a certain volume rather than just 800, so they may have had a few hundred left over to begin with.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation