FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Fake Coco Joe's...is this really a problem?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Fake Coco Joe's...is this really a problem?
bob5150
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-10-28 2:48 pm   Permalink

Hey All,

I've been looking to expand my Coco Joe's collection and, in doing so, I ran some searches on TC. While searching, I found some scattered discussions of "fake Coco Joe's" within threads. When searching these old threads, most of the links and pics from ebay were long expired so I wasn't sure what was being discussed. I have seen the multicolored plaques and the translucent sculps made into lamps, but are ebayers actually reproducing the original lava and hapa wood statues? Even though some of the rare statues fetch higher prices, I wouldn't think that there would be a market for knock-offs of such a niche item. Does anyone know if this is something that we collectors truly need to be wary of?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers,

Bob

View Profile of bob5150 Send a personal message to bob5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-28 7:16 pm   Permalink

I Have never seen anyyhing on fake CoCo Joes items. I would not think so since they were so mass produced. Its been a problem with Tiki mugs and such.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-29 04:56 am   Permalink

It's mostly a guy on eBay that made molds from the originals, then makes new casts.

It's the rare pieces, like the woman and tiki that are re-produced.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bob5150
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-10-29 07:28 am   Permalink

Are these counterfeiters going as far as reproducing labels, tags, stickers etc...? Just seems like a alot of work to do just to sell 20-40 dollar items.

Is it safe to say that all of these are fakes:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/mrbonedaddyz/m.html?item=261119083501&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccbe903ed&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Sorry for all the questions but the prospect of buying something other than the genuine article is a bit scary and I'm far more knowledgeable of mugs than ccj.

Cheers,

Bob

View Profile of bob5150 Send a personal message to bob5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ukutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-29 07:44 am   Permalink

My guess is that all but the lava ashtray are fake

View Profile of ukutiki Send a personal message to ukutiki  Email ukutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-29 4:17 pm   Permalink

If the guy is selling reproductions/fakes without acknowledging such then there's no reason to believe that anything he's selling is genuine. As a rule I won't purchase anything from this guy. Coco Joe's items are simple and relatively inexpensive to reproduce, all you need is a mold and resin. Recreating the labels and hang-tags would be a trivial effort with a scanner and a printer.

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-30 03:07 am   Permalink

You can see more CoCo No's on his completed items, as well as other phoney
Disney items...
http://www.ebay.com/csc/mrbonedaddyz/m.html?item=261119083501&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccbe903ed&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc The bad part is that a company in Hawaii still legally produces alot of the Coco Joe's and Hip items and said he bought the name from the bank at the bankruptcy sale years ago. The Ebay seller keeps saying he "found" more items in his warehouse, and over the years, keeps making more and more items. Brings in alot of copies from China....

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bob5150
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-10-30 6:59 pm   Permalink

So I suppose that if a CCJ piece looks too new to be genuine....there's, at least, a chance that it isn't. I suppose until the fakers start rolling their repros around in the dirt or sprinkle a bunch of dust on them for that "found em in the attic" look.

Hate to admit it but I actually bid on one of the items that that buyer listed (I was outbid thank goodness). Looked legit but almost too clean. Figured that the seller just did a nice job of staging for the listing and dropped a bid. Should have looked at the sellers other items. The two-color repros and the translucent lamps actually led me to research the topic and post this thread.

I hope that the info here helps other would-be CCJ ebay buyers.

Cheers,

Bob

SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-30 11:32 pm   Permalink

I thought I heard that a company bought the name and is reproducing casts from vintage pieces (but not from original molds). I have a few, you can buy they at the Honolulu Airport mixed in with some other brand of black resin tikis. The quality is not great but if you look through them all you can sometimes find a decent one. Some have reproductions of the original labels and some don't.

View Profile of SuperEight Send a personal message to SuperEight  Email SuperEight     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ukutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-31 05:51 am   Permalink

Could someone post pics of "extreme lookalikes" that are known to be fakes. Mahalo.

View Profile of ukutiki Send a personal message to ukutiki  Email ukutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-31 09:29 am   Permalink

isn't this somewhat akin to the SECRET SERVICE tracking down counterfeit pennies?
Just my opinion,I could be wrong.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-31 10:07 am   Permalink

I just wanted to post the seller's Ebay ID in case future generations are Googling for answers: mrbonedaddyz

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-31 10:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-10-31 09:29, TIKI DAVID wrote:
isn't this somewhat akin to the SECRET SERVICE tracking down counterfeit pennies?

I laughed, but I remember this guy from a ways back. They're selling close to $100 in some instances.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-31 10:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-10-31 09:29, TIKI DAVID wrote:

You say "obsessive compulsive hobbyist" like it's a bad thing.
Welcome to the internet.

It's
amazing what can sometimes start with something as simple as a few faded old photographs. TC has several such examples of sleuthing that started from a few crumbs turning into well-researched pop archeology.

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-31 4:15 pm   Permalink

No! No! Don't do it! It's a fake....

Too late!

Photo of stolen Coco joes designs stolen from Tom D Kline
Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation