FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Marketplace » » Temple of Doom Tiki Mug--Cursed Tikis
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Temple of Doom Tiki Mug--Cursed Tikis
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-05 12:13 pm   Permalink

The guy says he's sick of the debate, then goes on to offer a long-ass debate argument? I don't get it... hahah. Anyway, I wasn't arguing that there are no racist elements in tiki, pretty obvious there are. Witch Doctor is on another level.

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-05 12:18 pm   Permalink

Plus, no one is saying this mug is racist, Hale. Just that he won't settle a money dispute with strangedaisy.
You're thinking of the other witch doctor thread.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-05 12:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-05 11:56, happy buddha wrote:
Most of us should have evolved by now.

We have...

Partisanship 2012! The NEW Racism!

Buzzy Out!

[ This Message was edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2012-11-05 12:26 ]

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-05 12:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-05 07:52, Trad'r Bill wrote:
Quote:

P.S. It could be just coincidence but i'm wondering if "The Witch Doctor" and "White Devil" are the same person (same initials). White Devil seems to be the only person who defends him.

Hakalugi confirmed that "James Walker" was a fake account created by Witch Doctor, used to hype up his racist Obama mug, so I wouldn't put it past him.

4WDTiki. See above.

Trader Bill: You can't settle an argument without words. And invalidate points 1 and 2, if you would. Since you still claim racism. The poit was that those point should have settled the debate, along with the point about Jungle Juice. Did I miss something where he said the n-word, or said that mug was intended to be racist? No. He mentioned irreverent humor. No mention or implication of race.

Happybhudda: So, none of us here enjoy racist mugs, or collect them, or drink racially insensitive drinks?
And you missed the point that the Obama mug isn't racist. See points 1 and 2, I believe.

[ This Message was edited by: Hale Tiki 2012-11-05 12:38 ]

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-05 12:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-05 12:25, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
We have...

Partisanship 2012! The NEW Racism!

Buzzy Out!

I got a good laugh at that. Touché, sir.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-05 1:05 pm   Permalink

Hale Tiki, while you raise interesting points, all the things you mentioned are just as
racist today as they where in the 40s,50s & 60s

Yes, we can see them through a "Vintage Lens" and set aside the social mindset of that day
but at the same time we must acknowledge what the intent of the image is humor born out of open racism of the day
or at the very least a "social insensitivity" of that era.

It is a lesson that one would hope has been learned by now in today's "moral conscience"

Does that mean we should not have, discuss or enjoy these objects you mentioned, Of course not.
but we should be aware of the history and what they represented at the time.

In that context, can any new representations or depictions of these things be considered "Racist"
Absolutely!

But there is one antiquated idea I think is every bit important today as it was then
that would be the "Freedom of Speech"

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-05 2:08 pm   Permalink

ATP.

Tell me how the Obama Shrunken Head mug is racist.

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-05 2:47 pm   Permalink

Well H.T.,
In this case it's a combination of the political message the Witch Doctor
was representing, An image of the sitting president as a shrunken head with direct political cartoon stylings
the inclusion of the drink recipe "Jungle Juice" which I think puts it over the top of just a "Political jab"
has its very roots in a racial mindset, if you don't agree that it at least has the overtones of racism
I don't think you are choosing to see it.

Maybe the Doctor has not meant it to be so, but the appearance of Racism is fairly in question.

I myself think for political reasons alone, this has no place on TC & have to question the Witch Doctors
intended message, at the very least he should recognize this has hurt his standing with the TC community
and will affect his bottom line in future mug sales, which alone makes it a bad decision.

Never mind a moral stance.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-11-05 14:50 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-05 3:01 pm   Permalink

Aloha ATP! Didn't mean to sound so standoffish in my last message!

Terribly sorry. More to follow...

Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-05 3:09 pm   Permalink

After reading all the drama from past Witch Doctor topics like.

Not getting you mug,
Not getting your money back,
WD not responding to your P.M. when you didn't receive your mug's

it shocks me people still purchase from him.

All these mugs are clones of objects that he do's not own the rights too.

You want the world to be a better place?

Stop endorsing bad behavior.

Don't send him your money or be shocked by a guys opinion when he has shown a lack of respect for people who buy from him.

Just my opinion,

W

If you like this design go to

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=400059&utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Image+-+Chalice+of+Kali+Replica+Prop+Now+Available&utm_content=Image+-+Chalice+of+Kali+Replica+Prop+Now+Available&utm_campaign=ComPOG_Disney-Lucas_110512

and buy it from someone who payed for the rights to use it.

http://www.tiki-caliente.com

[ This Message was edited by: Wildsville man 2012-11-05 15:26 ]

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-05 3:18 pm   Permalink

I agree with the last post.

The Witch Doctor has shown the Tiki Centralites his true colors.

1. He is a thief, he has taken money for products and either not produced the products or not provided a refund.
2. He is a racist, see his Jungle Juice suggestion for his Obama Shrunken Head mug. Which adds "bottom shelf rum" and "half of a banana."
3. He is unoriginal in his creations, they are knock offs of other, better done mugs/vessels. He's a one trick pony and can only remake things he has done before.

Any post/offering by him is going to illicit this kind of response. He has burned his bridge here and we can only hope he goes away or does enough to get banned.

It's up to us, the community, to ignore him outright until he realizes that he is no longer welcome or wanted here.

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-05 3:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-05 15:01, Hale Tiki wrote:
Aloha ATP! Didn't mean to sound so standoffish in my last message!

Terribly sorry. More to follow...

Oh not at all H.T. nothing to be sorry about

I thought we are having an healthy dialog, I hope my post did not seem like down talking
it is just my point of view from an opinionated bastard

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-05 4:37 pm   Permalink

Not at all. It was me. I often come off as gruff.

So, it's easy, because of the policitcal subject matter, to make it racial in nature, but if the mug were a generic shrunken head, with the jungle juice recipe no matter what ethnicity the mug was intended to be, it would be overlooked. But because it's Barak Obama, it's a sensitive subject.

Just like a work of art, you can make judgement on what the creator intended, but only he, or she, can expain their work.

And as someone who appreciates tiki culture, you can't just say that it's okay because it had it's place in history. Complaceny is tantamount to acceptance. They still make Fu Manchu mugs, people still make Jungle Juice (See ZTL, and others), I hate to go back to the same two examples, but I don't have any of my books in front of me. It's all or none. That's not to say that the mug is racist, but, well, those who live in glass houses.

Yadda yadda. I need a drink. ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHA!!!

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-05 4:37 pm   Permalink

Not at all. It was me. I often come off as gruff.

So, it's easy, because of the policitcal subject matter, to make it racial in nature, but if the mug were a generic shrunken head, with the jungle juice recipe no matter what ethnicity the mug was intended to be, it would be overlooked. But because it's Barak Obama, it's a sensitive subject.

Just like a work of art, you can make judgement on what the creator intended, but only he, or she, can expain their work.

And as someone who appreciates tiki culture, you can't just say that it's okay because it had it's place in history. Complaceny is tantamount to acceptance. They still make Fu Manchu mugs, people still make Jungle Juice (See ZTL, and others), I hate to go back to the same two examples, but I don't have any of my books in front of me. It's all or none. That's not to say that the mug is racist, but, well, those who live in glass houses.

Yadda yadda. I need a drink. ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHA!!!

ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-05 4:48 pm   Permalink

I used the U-mod on this thread.... not because of the racist conversations and not because of people complaining about his business practices....

BUT BECAUSE THIS MUG AIN'T TIKI!!!!!

Seriously, if some excited newby posts a carved koa wood pineapple dish from the 70's there are 15 people instantly jumping up their ass saying.."thats not tiki" and giving them a scolding lecture about mid-century and the decline of tiki....

This is Indiana Jones.... An India related Indiana Jones prop....

Come on...wheres the outrage?...where's the people that carry "where's the tiki" and "hacked tourist trash" like a gun on their hip?

I love indiana jones, and the mug looks sweet.... but this is just another example of nobody saying anything to the people that constantly sell non-tiki stuff on this site.

Witch Doctor isn't the only one.... All these mug makers come out with non-tiki designs or stretch way beyond the "loosely affliated" concept and peddle them on here....

Sorry, I snapped.

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation