FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Grog Log vs. Remixed! - Are The Recipes Original?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Grog Log vs. Remixed! - Are The Recipes Original?
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-17 6:22 pm   Permalink

I bought Apple Jack to make Jack Roses with when I was first treking through the classic cocktail world. I was very underwhelmed, and then I discovered that subbing a calvados in all the recipes calling for Apple Jack actually makes them good.

Won't pass up a bottle of Laird's Bonded though.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-18 12:03 am   Permalink

applejack's good stuff, but definitely has a more whiskey-like profile than a calvados.

i like it esp. in a suffering bastard, 1 oz each of applejack, gin, and bourbon...

[ This Message was edited by: thePorpoise 2013-08-18 00:04 ]

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mermaid1111
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-18 11:48 pm   Permalink

I've used Lairds Applejack for years. It's great added to hot apple cider in winter and served with a cinnamon stick. It's also great to add 2 tablespoons to a pumpkin pie recipe. I love Applejack, but never heard of it in a Zombie before. None of the Zombies in Remixed have Applejack in them. That must have been one of the recipes the bum omitted in Remixed. He omitted the ones that weren't up to par, were almost duplicates or didn't make sense.

View Profile of mermaid1111 Send a personal message to mermaid1111      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-19 07:10 am   Permalink

doesnt the 1934 Patrick Gavin Duffy recipe call for apple brandy?

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-19 2:12 pm   Permalink

Lairds is expensive in the UK ($50 a bottle?), I got a half bottle from the US. I've infused apple in bourbon based on reading Lairds is the same (it's similar but it aint!).

I use the half bottle on special occasions. I think this is one:

Quote:

On 2013-08-17 17:57, hiltiki wrote:
Here you go... Zombie (Grog Log)

1 oz fresh lime juice
3/4 oz unsweetened pineapple juice
3/4 oz papaya nectar
1/2 oz Applejack
Tablespoon powdered sugar
1 oz dark Jamaican rum
2 oz Barbados rum
1 oz light Puerto Rican rum
1/2 oz 151 Demerara rum

I had seen this before on a website, thanks for the verification!

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-19 3:46 pm   Permalink

Laird's Applejack is 1/3 apple brandy and 2/3 neutral grain spirits. That's why it has such a light flavor.

I suppose you could try making your own. Add some vodka or "white whiskey" to some Calvados.

Or you can "jack" some hard apple cider. (Jacking is a form of distillation involving freezing the liquid and scraping off the ice.)

Of course, you might go blind... Any takers?

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-20 8:02 pm   Permalink

Another recipe from Grog Log if anyone was interested in using up their Applejack.
Hawaiian room
1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
1/2 oz pineapple juice
1/2 oz Applejack
1/2 oz triple sec
1 oz light Puerto Rican rum

Recipe from the Hawaiian Room of the Hotel Lexington in New York City, circa 1940s.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation