FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Sea Creature of the South Pacific Art Swap ~ Done!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
Sea Creature of the South Pacific Art Swap ~ Done!
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-06 7:58 pm   Permalink

MDM- 3 pieces???? 3???? Go ahead and make the rest of us feel like slackers.
Looks way cool
OK, you can send me all 3

CY- AWESOME once again. You have my address, so, send it over.

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-06 8:52 pm   Permalink

Cy~ Your's looks GREAT!

Finally some visible progress

~kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-06 9:35 pm   Permalink

Cy - "Fish Sticks", great title Love the look of that piece in living color.
MoeKele - it's certainly looking very sea-ish

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-07 08:57 am   Permalink

Mike, can't wait to see more progress. And to hear the rest of the lyrics to the War song. Cy, cool piece. Waiting for mug to get bisque fired, but should still be on schedule to be finished on time, if not slightly early. For now I'll just keep an eye for all of the cool work everyone's posting....

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-09 7:11 pm   Permalink

Happy New Year all!

Just as an update my sea turtle platter dried beautifully over xmas break at school and should be going into the kiln for its greenware fire by the end of the week. I want to glaze it in a way that the color is darker in the carving than the rest. Is it really as easy as painting it on and wiping it off? Please advise, time is tight-ish and I don't want to screw it up and disappoint anyone. (Not that anyone's REALLY looking forward to getting my piece as compared to some of the amazing creations I am seeing. You guys rock!)

~Lori

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-09 8:51 pm   Permalink

Kele you and MDM are keeping us guessing. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-09 9:11 pm   Permalink

Yes, Lori, you can paint a glaze on and wipe it off, leaving residual in the nooks and crannies. Of course you start with a darker glaze, then put a lighter semi-transparent glaze over it. If you use an opaque or semi-opaque glaze, it covers everything up. If your firing schedule permits, it's always better to try some different combinations first

My pieces are dry and ready to go into the kiln tomorrow. Then to finish with some underglazes, clear glaze, mother of pearl luster, sculpty clay, sand, plaster, ribbon and who knows what else!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-10 07:41 am   Permalink

WMoK-
What's it going to be? Hmmmm

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-10 9:28 pm   Permalink

Mike, are those the ONLY other things you're adding?

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-10 9:46 pm   Permalink

Further progress on the "Narwhals of the (North) South Pacific" Mug. I admit the Marquesan face on the Narwhal makes it look slightly like Charlie the Tuna pre-glazing. After bisque firing, it looked like this:

Cleaned up the piece by sanding down a few of the edges. After blowing out all of the clay dust, started glazing. While normally I try to use a single glaze on the exterior, I went with a few different glazes on the exterior AND interior of the cup. Due to the time frame (and not having my own kiln, and no test tiles for some new glazes) I took a few chances. Hopefully I didn't screw it up completely.

Here's a shot after glazing.

I went with a Light Shino for the outside- the dark brown tones should really come alive around the stone work side- and Mike gave a nice shout-out to that particular glaze on another piece I worked on. I'm pretty stoked with how the interior will look- glazing it was a royal pain, but long brushes and squinting helped getting the job done. Thicker glasses might have helped, too. Next time...

LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-11 06:58 am   Permalink

Tikiano,

I'm looking forward to seeing how your glazes look after they are fired. That's always the best part!

Lori

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-11 07:41 am   Permalink

Lookin good

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-11 1:01 pm   Permalink

I like Charlie the Marquesan Narwhale! Anxiously awaiting the next pics

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-11 1:26 pm   Permalink

Less than three weeks to the trade. This has been a fun ride so far. I like every thing I've seen and there is every type of art in the works. Very cute mug Tiki Ano. Thank you MadDogMike for keeping us working. See you soon, Wendy

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2013-01-11 13:27 ]

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
anthonymaye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-11 1:58 pm   Permalink

yeah im with wendy it is almost trade time i am really excited lots of
way cool art.

View Profile of anthonymaye Send a personal message to anthonymaye  Email anthonymaye Goto the website of anthonymaye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation