FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Sea Creature of the South Pacific Art Swap ~ Done!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
Sea Creature of the South Pacific Art Swap ~ Done!
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-05 4:30 pm   Permalink

Get with the program GROG!

Hale, don't listen to the GROG!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-05 7:40 pm   Permalink

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-02-05 7:47 pm   Permalink

It just keeps getting better.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-05 7:54 pm   Permalink

Grog wins

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-05 8:12 pm   Permalink

Now you know better then to ask for suggestions Hale.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 03:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-05 20:12, cy wrote:
Now you know better then to ask for suggestions Hale.

Yes, I know that it is better to always ask! Hahahahaha

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 06:23 am   Permalink

HELP!!!!

I glazed my dish and it came out of the kiln not the way I expected it to. I know I should have done a test first but I didn't....

First off it's matte, not shiny. I didn't even know we had those glazes. Secondly, it's all splotchy. What I was going for was darker on the turtle and then lighter for the rest, which I kind of got. But the light parts are all blotchy and so not looking like the images on the manufacturer's website!

Ugh! I don't really have the time to create something new, although I might try but if even if I don't swap this piece I'd like to fix it, if that's possible. Thoughts? (besides how ugly it is)
The art teacher I work with likes it and thinks it looks "rustic." I hate it. He suggested just a clear glaze to make it shiny. I'm thinking more of a glossy semi transparent glaze but what color? Is it possible to sand off some of the glaze around the turtle to make the background more even? I suppose I could just give that a try.

Thanks for looking.

Lori

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 06:41 am   Permalink

mask off the turtle, hit it with super fine grit sandpaper?
That would be my choice, but then again, I know nothing about ceramics.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 07:44 am   Permalink

I can't help on this,
But I know a few who should jump in with answers soon...

Ps- I'm a Honu fan and think its cool

Jon

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-06 07:51 am   Permalink

LoriLovesTiki you have lots of choices. I can't tell if this is a turtle or water color, on my screen it looks gray. I've had pieces that had to be glazed 4 times firing each time. All you have to do is scrub it really well so that there's not a speck of dust and then paint it again with more glaze. You don't want the glaze so thick that it runs if you do one color for he turtle and one for the background. It's a really good looking piece. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-06 09:51 am   Permalink

Love the design Lori. Reglazing is your best option. It would be nearly impossible to grind any glaze off, it's as hard a glass. You can reglaze with a few more coats of the same colors or put a light, single transparent color over all of it but the blotches will probably still show through.

Don't lose heart Lori - the technical aspect of ceramics can be challenging, there are so many variables and some seem out of our control. Some glazes are really hard to get even coverage, especially on large areas. Wider brushes seem to help get glaze on more evenly, as do multiple coats applied in different directions. Keep up the good work and good luck ~ HAVE FUN!!!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2013-02-06 09:54 am   Permalink

You probably didn't put three full coats of glaze on, or you watered down your glaze. It will come out matte and splotchy instead of shiny if you water it down. If you want it to look like the color in the catalog, put a few more coats on it and fire again. If you have an airbrush or a sprayer you'll get more even coats and can get rid of the splotches. To bring the Turtle out, after you've fired it again,( and if the color is right that time) put black glaze over the turtle, when it dries, use a sponge and gently wipe down the surface so that the black is retained in the crevices, and fire again.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2013-02-06 09:56 am   Permalink

You probably didn't put three full coats of glaze on, or you watered down your glaze. It will come out matte and splotchy instead of shiny if you water it down. If you want it to look like the color in the catalog, put a few more coats on it and fire again. If you have an airbrush or a sprayer you'll get more even coats and can get rid of the splotches. To bring the Turtle out, after you've fired it again,( and if the color is right that time) put black glaze over the turtle, when it dries, use a sponge and gently wipe down the surface so that the black is retained in the crevices, and fire again.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 3:00 pm   Permalink

When Grog tells you something twice, he means it...

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 3:01 pm   Permalink

When GROG tells you something twice, he means it...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation