Grand Member (8 years)
Joined: Mar 30, 2008
From: The Anvil of the Sun
|Posted: 2012-11-06 8:42 pm  Permalink|
UPDATE 1/14/13 - DEADLINE EXTENDED TO FEB 28th, 2013
UPDATE - NEW INFO ON TOP 11/9/12
Votes were pretty overwhelming for "Sea Creatures of the South Pacific", a nice wide open theme which should allow for lots of interpretation. Swap drawing will be January 31, 2013 (if the world does not end December 21th )
RULES - mostly a re-hash of previously posted Swap rules but here they go:
* Participants must make a original piece of art inspired by the theme specifically for the swap - no prints of previous art, molded objects etc. This does not preclude using a molded object and heavily modifying it.
* Each participant is only allowed to swap once. If you want to make more than one piece of art and allow your partner to choose, that is perfectly fine.
* The art can be anything you like, so it could be a painting, charcoal sketch, pastel art, a carving, a one-off hand carved mug, mosaic, diorama, fabric art, lamp, etc.
* Post progress pics on this thread of the art you are making - to motivate everyone else to get involved!
* Post pics of your completed piece by the due date!!! Only participants who have posted a picture of the completed project will be included in the drawing
* Method of swap has been changed for this time to a surprise method. Names will be drawn in "circular" fashion - person A sends to B, B sends to C, ... Z send to A but I only tell you who to send to. You notify me when you have mailed your package and I notify the recipient that it is coming. You don't know what you are getting until it shows up on your door.
* Note - there is a reasonable chance that your creation will be sent overseas! You are responsible for postal costs of the item you create, so don't enter a 6 foot carving unless you're prepared to cover postage! If you have a big or heavy item or are shipping overseas, shop prices with different shippers (USPS/FedEx/UPS).
We had talked about a new Art Swap beginning in November and ending the end of January ~ is there any interest or is this just a bad time of year?
For those unfamiliar with the concept, you make an original art piece (not a mold or a print) inspired by the theme in any media ~ could be a painting, digital, carving, ceramic mug, beaded, knit, sewn, mixed, diorama, whatever. Usually, at the end of the Swap, you are paired at random with another participant and you swap art ~ you get theirs and they get yours. But there was talk of trying something new where you don't know who is sending to you until you get it in the mail.
Most recent Swap themes have been;
Ladies of Tiki
Papua New Guinea
Suggested themes have been;
Music - Exotica/Hapa Haole/etc
Sea Creatures of the South Pacific
Or some other theme
I organized the last Swap, it was easy and rewarding (besides, I got to choose the topic ) I could do it again or I could get someone else pointed in the right direction
If you are interested in this Swap and you were NOT on my mass-mailing e-mail list last time, drop me a PM with your e-mail address
When you come across a big kettle of crazy, sometimes it's best not to stir it
Pirate Ship Tree House
[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2012-11-09 19:21 ]
[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2012-11-17 18:55 ]
[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2013-01-14 10:58 ]
[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2013-03-01 12:37 ]
[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2013-04-03 17:27 ]