FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT


advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Sea Creature of the South Pacific Art Swap ~ Done!

You are viewing a single post from the search result.
view the entire topic
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
Sea Creature of the South Pacific Art Swap ~ Done!
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Oct 19, 2004
Posts: 1799
From: Pittsburgh
Posted: 2013-03-27 03:53 am   Permalink

Yay!
I'm glad you got it, Cy!

Here's the background on why it's late. When I was putting the two pieces together, I wasn't happy with the joint, but had too many other details to obsess over, along with the other 10 projects I'm working on. So I ignored the small gap, despite not being too happy about it. I figured it'd be supported well enough by the binding anyway. The club was originally bound with rope, that had wood glue applied under each layer. I wasn't happy with the way it looked when it was finished. The rope looked off, but in the interest of time, figured I'd change it up in REV 1.

Shipping day rolls around, and I've got bubble wrap and packing tape galore. I'm wrapping it up real tight, when I hear a forboding crack. I figured it was just that little gap, no biggie, so I continue to tape, when I hear another crack in the other direction. I unwrapped just the top half to have the maul drop down, and unravel some of the rope. I had broken the weak joint.

It did, however, turn out to be quite fortuitous. I was able to make a better, stronger joint, and in the mean time, went at lunch to a local craft store and wandered aimlessly until I figure out the perfect material to wrap it with. I started out with leather, then suede, but wasn't happy with either. I got some caning, and thought it'd look out of place. Eventually, I settled on finding a big thing of raffia. I wasn't 100% on the raffia, but I had to get that sucker out! I get it all back to work, and fiddle around until the end of the day. At some point, I decided it'd be cool to make raffia rope. So I did. I'm very happy with how it turned out, and will be using the giant bunch of raffia again.

The wood plaque was to make up for how long it took. I didn't end up making a woodblock, and prints, but figured I might as well make something out of the artwork. The title was an afterthought, but I think it's pretty funny.

Glad you like it all. The weapon looks great on the wall.

Can't wait for the next swap, all!

Aloha!


 
View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
U-Moderate:
  
v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation