Posted: 2012-11-07 12:07 pm   Permalink

Just heard this from Don the Beachcomber
I will repost the email:

"We are saddened to bring such news but this morning, Arthur
Snyder passed away in his sleep at 79 years old. He was a
United States Marine, a USC Law Graduate, a politician, a
restauranteur, but most importantly, a dedicated husband,
father, and grandfather. He will leave a legacy for ages to come
but what he left in everyone's hearts will last a lifetime.
Burial information will be posted soon. We will be holding a
celebration of his life this Saturday at Don the Beachcomber
in the Longboard Room from 3 pm - 8 pm.

For more information please email
info@donthebeachcomber.com.

We ask that during this time of grieving you do not try to
contact the family or staff at Don the Beachcomber. More
information will be posted shortly"

I am happy to have known the man, Just saw him Monday night and he did seem a bit fragile
my condolences go out to his wife & family.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-11-08 10:01 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-07 12:41 pm   Permalink

This is very sad news I read on Facebook before here.
Art was always very nice to me ...he will be misssed .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-07 1:03 pm   Permalink

(I'm reposting my earlier facebok post here...)

Though I've had my differences with Art in the past, I assure you they were truly business and not personal, and we'd since made amends and have been working together again. Some of our best and most memorable shows were at Don's,and I'm grateful for that.

My deepest condolences go out to Delia and his family.

Thanks Art for Rescuing Sam's Seafood and keeping not only my favorite tiki bar/restaurant alive, but for bringing back the Don The Beachcomber name as well, and giving all us Tiki Nerds a great place to hang out, and a great room for The Tikiyaki Orchestra to perform in.

I know Art put alot of heart,soul,time and money into Don's and it showed.

Rest In Peace Art

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-07 1:14 pm   Permalink

E pili mau nâ pômaika’i me ia (May blessings ever be with him)

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-07 1:16 pm   Permalink

E Ho'omaha Me Ka Maluhia Art. You Will Be Missed. Aloha Nui.

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-11-07 1:30 pm   Permalink

The first tiki event I ever went to was at Don the Beachcomber and I've been hooked ever since.
Rest in peace, Art.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-07 2:31 pm   Permalink

I am at such a loss right now. He was always so great to me, Dinah, and The Hula Girls. We had dinner and drinks with him so many memorable times. Going to miss his stories and his warm personality...

He lost money for a long time on Dons, but wanted to see it though. Where most could have given up, he persevered to make Don's the premiere tiki establishment in Southern California. He was such a gratious host to everyone who came though the place...

We are devastated and absolutely miss you already, Art.

[ This Message was edited by: Luckydesigns 2012-11-07 14:31 ]

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-07 3:08 pm   Permalink

Oh my god!

This is terrible.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-07 3:17 pm   Permalink

I'm absolutely crushed by this news. I'm so thankful that I came out to visit when I did. Spike & I had a nice conversation with Art, Saturday night. It was a pleasure to meet & get to know this gentleman. I remember on my first visit, Art found out I was visiting from Boston & he came over to introduce himself, shake my hand, pose for pictures & just chat a bit. He will be sorely missed in this community. My thoughts & prayers are with his family & friends. Thank you Art, for all you did for the Tiki community. Godspeed, my friend.
Rick

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-07 4:27 pm   Permalink

Rick, I was just remembering that last conversation with him too. I dealt with him a bunch with the band, but those discussions about his massive tiki collection or history of Don or Sam's were always my favorite. I do miss him already. He had such grand views of what he wanted to do with Don's. Hopefully that lives on!!

Glad that you were able to share that night and the hanging out with Art, with us.

[ This Message was edited by: Luckydesigns 2012-11-07 16:27 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Luckydesigns 2012-11-07 16:28 ]

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-07 6:21 pm   Permalink

I've known Art for many years as the driving force behind revitalizing the Don the Beachcomber name and tradition. He succeeded and we should all thank him deeply for that. He was a great man and will be sorely missed.

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-07 6:30 pm   Permalink

I never had the pleasure of meeting Art, but having seen his picture so many places and people speaking so highly of him, I feel like I did. RIP Art.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-07 6:36 pm   Permalink

Art lead a colorful life to be sure, Don's was just a bookend to that. I've read several books and articles on LA history seeing his name being referenced, thinking "Is that the Art I know?".

It's amazing the DTBC that we love so much even exists, it's like something out of a perfect Tiki dream. It took a person like Art to make it a reality. And he always took care of the Tiki peeps, he was a true kindred soul.

We never knew Trader Vic or Donn Beach, but we did know Art. RIP Art Snyder, when we're drinking at the big table we know you'll be there with us.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2012-11-07 18:44 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-08 06:44 am   Permalink

Sorry to hear this. The one time I was able to visit DTB, Art sat down at our table and we had a nice long conversation about rum; esp. the-then lack of 151 Demerara. Really nice guy.

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-08 08:51 am   Permalink

Art really had a vision and energy that we all need to carry on.... it was great working with him and helping him along with these visions. Keeping his Spirit alive, we will carry on.

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation