FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Central Ohana » » RIP Art Snyder
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
RIP Art Snyder
JudyLuck
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-08 09:38 am   Permalink

i didnt realize how much i would be upset when i had found out... i cried on and off throughout the day just remembering good talks with him and how much he truly cared for our whole community.

View Profile of JudyLuck Send a personal message to JudyLuck      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-08 6:16 pm   Permalink

A sad day for the Tiki community. There was a big obit for Art in today's LA Times.

Art Snyder

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
savoy6
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-11-08 7:03 pm   Permalink

RIP Art....you are loved and will be missed...

View Profile of savoy6 Send a personal message to savoy6      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
catmomma
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-08 9:15 pm   Permalink

the 3-4 times we have made the road trip to go to Don's for dinner he always was there, greeting guests and walking the floor talking to people. We had my 40th birthday party there a couple of years ago and he personally cmae over to wish me a happy birthday. very sweet guy and the place just won't be the same without him.

View Profile of catmomma Send a personal message to catmomma  Goto the website of catmomma ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-08 10:40 pm   Permalink

What a shock. He did seem frail recently, the struggles to keep DTB afloat took a lot out of him. But he also got to see it flourish with the International Tiki Market Place. He really loved seeing all the Tikiphiles come together at his place. He just wasn't the guy to retire, so he died doing what he loved. Catch a glimpse of him being interviewed here (around minute 1:35):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ-DasnJXfQ

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Don The Beachcomber
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-11-08 11:15 pm   Permalink

We want to Thank everyone for all the kind comments posted as well as the outpouring of love for Arthur. We are celebrating his life this Saturday from 3pm to 8pm at Don the Beachcomber. Wear your best and brightest Tiki/Hawaiian Shirt in his honor.

Funeral Information:
Date: Wednesday, November 14th
Time:9am
6300 Forest Lawn Drive, Los Angeles, CA (Drive to Old North Church once inside cemetery)

If you have any questions please email
info@donthebeachcomber.com

16278 S. Pacific Coast Highway
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
(562) 592-1321
http://www.donthebeachcomber.com

View Profile of Don The Beachcomber Send a personal message to Don The Beachcomber  Email Don The Beachcomber Goto the website of Don The Beachcomber     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-09 08:04 am   Permalink

Art you were always so kind to me. I remember the first time I went to DTB and you made it a point to come up and welcome me and to talk to me about some of the different parts of the restaurant that you loved. It was great being made to feel so instantly at home

Thoughts with your family and our tiki community on the loss of a great friend and person.

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-09 12:34 pm   Permalink

When we found out about Art's passing, the entire day found the Tiki Farm staff very saddened. There were tears and there were laughs. Laughs? Art shined and that is what we are taking with us - we really enjoyed our relationship with him and we feel very fortunate to have worked closely with this larger-than-life man. Here is how Art greeted me on the phone every time that I spoke with him... "Hello Holden, hello friend, Art Snyder here". I am going to miss hearing that. Someday, I hope to hear that again!! RIP Art.

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Seabee

Posted: 2012-11-09 4:19 pm   Permalink

I had seen Art in the bar many times and knew who he was, but only spoken to him a few times. The first time I met him, I had pulled in to the Dagger Bar after a long day at work just for a quick Navy Grog. He noticed my US Navy ballcap and sat on the stool next to me. We ended up having a nice long chat about our times in the service (his much more interesting than mine). Before long, I was three grogs in. Art seemed to be about that: finding connections with people and sitting down for a good, honest chat over a rum drink. He embodied what I consider to be the Tiki spirit. From a Sailor to a Marine, I salute you, Art. Fair winds and following seas.

View Profile of Seabee Send a personal message to Seabee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SpaceAgeCity
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-11-09 9:25 pm   Permalink

Shocking! I was just at Don's on Saturday with a friend from out of town, and I talked about Art and pointed out his picture on the wall. I looked around and was disappointed not to see him hanging around the place that night. I'm very sorry to hear the reason why.

Art was just the right guy who came along at just the right time to preserve the best of Sam's, morph it into the Don's we know and love, and make the personal and financial investments to turn it all into a success. And as so many have said, he was always a gracious and gregarious host.

I've posted a few comments, memories and photos over at my Tiki Lagoon blog:
http://tikilagoon.blogspot.com/2012/11/arthur-k-snyder-1932-2012.html

CJ

View Profile of SpaceAgeCity Send a personal message to SpaceAgeCity  Goto the website of SpaceAgeCity     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-10 2:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-08 18:16, Dustycajun wrote:
A sad day for the Tiki community. There was a big obit for Art in today's LA Times.

Art Snyder

DC

That's a good obit - who would have been more appropriate to run a Don the Beachcomber's than a "character" like Art?

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-11 5:02 pm   Permalink

I wanted share this earlier but waited to get permission from Delia.

This is a letter Art sent to Tiki Oasis staff. Art in his own words. It shows how dedicated he was to preserving Tiki AND sharing it with everyone. He singlehandedly saved the historic Sams Seafood location. Let's share the love by supporting Delia and the staff. Forever.

For the last three years Delia and I have felt that it would  not be to the best interest of our enterprise to step away for even a day.  We have worked an average of 18 hours each day for the last 42 months.  It is our prayer that we could one day soon be in a position to call our development of management leadership and staff excellence to the level that we will be able to have a vacation.  It's coming, and hopefully that need will be satisfied by the end of this year,  Until then our joy will have to be contained, we fear.

But!  That is not to say we are not happy with what we have done and what we are doing!  To put the old Sam's Seafood back where it does not threaten to fall down on a daily basis, restore its decor and replace its fixtures, and at the same time refresh the memory of Donn Beach in the minds of America--all of this has given us a feeling of satisfaction that will one of these days top-off this, the final chapter in the great adventure that our lives together for the last 35 years has been.

Mahalo, Christi, for being one of the many pieces of that adventure!

Art & Delia Snyder
Don the Beachcomber

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-11 10:23 pm   Permalink

Art allowed me to create my works in the best possible place it could be done. I wish I could match the love, effort and inspiration that has gone into Don the Beachcomber.

I walk into a Paradise escape with fountains, flowers, exotic sounds, beautiful friendly natives, flowing waters and the aromas of orchids. I could sit in a bamboo booth with low lights and remember that life has those pauses where the moment touches the infinite.Much of my own artistic inspiration came while sitting in a deserted backroom; hearing tropical melodies and inhaling that place beside a stream below a mountain that all of us have access to when we allow.

Over a hundred miles away and I can still return whenever I like. Thanks Art!

View Profile of Sunset Mike Send a personal message to Sunset Mike  Email Sunset Mike Goto the website of Sunset Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-12 11:26 am   Permalink

Starting tonight we will begin a new tradition of remembering Art Snyder and his dedication not just to revitalizing Don the Beachcomber but supporting the tiki community in whole. In his honor and memory we would like to raise our glasses in toast at 7:30 pm in the Dagger Bar every Monday night. All of us that attend Monday nights can recall at one time or another Art's coming up and sitting with us to listen to stories and tell some of his own. He felt a very strong tie with the tiki community and always enjoyed our presence. If you couldn't make it to the celebration of life this past weekend or may not be able to attend the funeral Wednesday at Forest Lawn, this might be a good way to show your appreciation.

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-13 09:57 am   Permalink

You can se the proclamation here:

Proclamation for Art Snyder at the Dagger Bar 11-12-2012

"Marriage, Mortgages, Market Places and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation