FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Barbie and Ken's Tiki Bar
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Barbie and Ken's Tiki Bar
NaniTiki

Posted: 2012-11-19 3:30 pm   Permalink

Since I don't have a basement I can turn into a Tiki Bar, and I felt a need to make one - I built a Barbie and Ken Tiki Bar. It's still a work in progress, but wanted to see if anyone else is doing the same.

I apologize, I just realized, I placed this post in the wrong forum and don't know how to move it...

[ This Message was edited by: NaniTiki 2012-11-19 15:38 ]

View Profile of NaniTiki Send a personal message to NaniTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-19 5:15 pm   Permalink

Really cool! I think bigbro would appreciate this

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2012-11-19 5:34 pm   Permalink

Very nice NaniTiki.

I went ahead and moved this to the Other Crafts forum as that's where there are other miniatures and dioramas.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-19 5:36 pm   Permalink

Hilarious! Do a search for "diorama" and you'll find some similar stuff

EDIT - and welcome to Tiki Central

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2012-11-19 17:37 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-11-19 6:08 pm   Permalink

I really like it.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-19 8:24 pm   Permalink

Yes indeed, delightful B&K diorama. CHEERS and nice contribution on your entry to Tiki Central.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-19 8:54 pm   Permalink

Looking back at it I see some great details. Tell us what you found and what you made?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-19 9:52 pm   Permalink

I love what you've done. It's really fun to look at all the special touches. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-19 10:06 pm   Permalink

Thats kool

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-20 07:07 am   Permalink

This is so very cool Nanitiki!! It instantly brought a smile to my face and gave me the chuckles as well.

Your detail is quite amazing... I love it!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-20 11:22 am   Permalink

You've even got Sailor Ken, in port on liberty and looking to get lei'd. Now THAT'S detail.

Welcome to TC NaniTiki.

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-20 3:29 pm   Permalink

Love it! I'm also tantalized by the glimpse of kitchen. Can you post a pic of that too? And are there other rooms as well? Just how extensive is this environment?

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NaniTiki

Posted: 2012-11-20 4:07 pm   Permalink

You are all very kind, thank you for the good words and for the Welcome.

Details: The hanging "floaters" on each side of the roof are just marbles, with a plastic mesh wrapped around them - mesh came from odds & ends I've saved over time (most likely from a bag of cherry tomatoes from supermarket). Shell necklace strung around the bar.

Ashtray on the bar top is made from a tiny clam shell, I rolled up some tissue paper to make some cigarettes, colored the tip brown to look like it's been smoked and glued a few in there. I recall backyards up in NY where I came from, had old clam shells they used as ashtrays (everyone smoked then) - anyone else remember that from back in the day?

Also on bar top - have a tiny rippled-looking clam shell with some beads made to look like small “floaters” sitting in it.

Glued down some small Coco Joe's around for some "atmosphere", wicker chair and table set my mom gave me, added a guitar stolen from a Spanish Flamenco doll.

Mini hula pic was a magnet pic frame and I found a beautiful pic of a Hawaiian Wahini to glue in, shelf on the wall was some sort of a “ desk organizer” thing I found in local thrift shop, made a nice wall shelf. Filled it with a mini-basket, tiki keychain, and a plastic hula (most likely a cake topper from back in the day).

Bar is made from thin pieces of bamboo, hot-glued to a picture frame.

Grass roof is cut from some grass I had growing outside, glued to foam-core board. Assorted chickens, lobster on the roof from local yard sales.

Genuine vintage Barbie and Kens from early 60's - I'm not a hard-core Barbie collector, but do love the vintage ones even if they are missing some hair or makeup rubbed off, they are still beauties!

As Brudda Bear said – he is right, that Ken is looking to get lei’d – and even though he’s a couple of years older than the Ken behind the bar, he’s in town for a couple of days and is going to make the most of his Liberty… Ha!

Thank you for the idea – I need to make leis for all three of them.

Great Eye - Sweet Daddy Tiki – you caught the kitchen next door - I did make other dioramas (more fun than just dressing Barbies up in clothes), but they’re not Tiki. I’ll post pics of them too to satisfy your curiosity.

The dioramas are in a spare bedroom with other old things.

This diorama, I’d like to expand, but still in planning stages – thinking of palm trees outside next to it, tiki torches, a small pond with waterfall using caulking to resemble the water stream. (of course more beautiful Barbies to grace the scene). I would love to hear of any suggestions on how to improve this one.

View Profile of NaniTiki Send a personal message to NaniTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NaniTiki

Posted: 2012-11-20 4:31 pm   Permalink

The other dioramas... not as much fun as Tiki Bar

Kitchen - using Delux Reading toy kitchen set

Renovated old Barbie doll case - next to Ken is a replica of vintage Malm free-standing fireplace made from an old kitchen funnel and pvc pipe. Sofa and chairs is vintage Mattel Barbie livingroom set

LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-21 8:03 pm   Permalink

Nani Tiki,

I LOVE it! Soooo cute & well done. The tiki statues, the bar, the stuff hanging on the walls. Very clever.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation