FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Lucky's Tiki Bonanza - Now in 3D!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Lucky's Tiki Bonanza - Now in 3D!!!
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-23 07:08 am   Permalink

Ok I saw this and this is what came to mind.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Tortoise-Shell-Celluloid-Guitar-Head-Veneer-Shell-Sheet-Parts-jewelry-making-/290901395802?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item43bb13095a

But It seems like you don't like to chop up animals to make things with so
this may not work.
But looks cool.
Maybe this comes in a faux version?

Love the name of this uke.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-23 07:14 am   Permalink

Oh wait these ARE faux.
So no problem.
Comes in all kinds of funky colors and black.

And If
1. PETG
2. VCT
won't work how bout LMNOP or XYZ.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-ABS-Celluloid-Guitar-Head-Veneer-Shell-Sheet-Also-jewelry-Making-Inlay-NEW-/251141242001?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&var=&hash=item3a792f3c91

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-23 07:16 am   Permalink

Personally, I would lean toward the lighter colored feature as I think it shows off the details of the profile better against the darker wood. I like the darker one because of the texture, but I just think it gets lost in the wood.

Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-23 07:25 am   Permalink

I love celluloid and pearloid and and tortoise shell.

And trust me John, as long as it looks good, or tastes good, I'm down. Like Dennis Leary said, "Save the dolphins, save the dolphins!" "Well what about the tuna?" "Fuck them, they taste good."

Also, LMNOP isn't bad, but XYZ will mess you up! Hahaha.

Looks like I'm going to have to be patient, not go with what's on hand, and order up some other materials for testing!

EDIT: We have some of the black pebbled ABS that you'd find on the outside of an ATA Case. Maybe I'll try that while I'm waiting for the other stuff to come in. It's a real bright black, and may provide for better contrast against the wood.

[ This Message was edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-04-23 07:39 ]

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-23 2:24 pm   Permalink

Here it is, the same pebbled ABS you find on the outside of hard instrument and ATA cases:

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-23 7:01 pm   Permalink

That is better than the other dark one you tried I think. I still lean toward the lighter one because it really pops against the wood.

Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-24 05:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-23 19:01, littlegiles wrote:
That is better than the other dark one you tried I think. I still lean toward the lighter one because it really pops against the wood.

Dale

Yeah, I'm still leaning towards lighter myself. Time to go scrounge for other material and see what I can't come up with. I just wish I could cut that light material without the burns. I'm repairing our cutting laser today, so hopefully that one will do the trick.

littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-24 06:47 am   Permalink

Is there no way to polish the burns off? Like you said, it does kind of give it a shadow effect and that isn't really a bad thing.

Dale

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 12:43 pm   Permalink

Here's a wee little moai I printed with the 3d printer that is temporarily on my desk at work. He's next to my Wendy Cevola War God. I've asked artists for their 3D designs, and am looking to print the first tiki mug that was designed in on a computer in a 3d rendering program, and then printed with a 3d printer. From there, the print will be either cleaned up, or the lines from printing will be left in, and molded. Then slipcast mugs will be poured from the mold. There's a few people that have contacted me, so we'll see what comes of it.

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 12:52 pm   Permalink

I am wearing my 3D glasses, but nothing is happening?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 12:56 pm   Permalink

Tilt your head to the left.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-13 1:05 pm   Permalink

This sounds like a lot of fun. I like the photo! Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 7:23 pm   Permalink

Hale Tiki ... I envy you having a 3D printer on your desk ... There are so many possible uses for one ... Your moai is cool and the neon green is a nice color ... I did a tutorial thread a while back showing how I made pendants in 3D programs and had them 3D printed. Working in 3D can be great fun ....

[ This Message was edited by: Gene S Morgan 2013-05-13 19:24 ]

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 8:13 pm   Permalink

Gene, no more tutorials! it had to be said.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 8:35 pm   Permalink

Gene, this is your forum as much as anybodys. It does not belong to one person. Do what you want.

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2013-05-14 00:17 ]

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation