FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Lucky's Tiki Bonanza - Now in 3D!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Lucky's Tiki Bonanza - Now in 3D!!!
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-26 10:34 am   Permalink

The clubs and wooden box are very cool, good job, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-01 09:23 am   Permalink

Got all my electrical supplies in, finally. I'll be wiring up some lamps this week. Tiki Tuesday is tomorrow, so I hope to have at least one to bring to show the other Pittsburgh Ohana.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-01 6:36 pm   Permalink

Hale, that lamp turned out way cool! Hopefully headed to someone's Tiki Bar soon.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-02 05:40 am   Permalink

Oh yeah, it's over in the Marketplace for those interested. Thanks MDM!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-18 05:04 am   Permalink

The lamp is still available for sale or trade, for anyone who is interested. I also have smaller/lighter/more economical versions.

So, I'm pitting a pick guard on this uke that I'm working on. It's a Lanikai, but I'm making it more personal with the help/blessing of a wonderful tiki artist. Anyway, before I glue on the tapa cloth pick guard, I wanted to get other people's opinion.

Can you tell what this is/do you think it looks good? It's just out of cardboard, but will be tapa.

EDIT: OR WITH TWO!!! I like how it looks more abstract, like an elaborate pick guard, but when you look close, you see the moai.

EDIT: Here's the tapa...not sure if I like it. I might just do white/ivory.

[ This Message was edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-04-18 07:33 ]

littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-18 06:59 am   Permalink

I have to agree with you. In the last picture with the Tapa, the details of the Moai profiles get lost.

Just my opinion, but actually the single profile in the first picture I think shows it off the best.

Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pwest71
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-18 08:26 am   Permalink

Hale,

Just cut the tapa about 1/16" smaller than the main pickguard material, then you'll have a light border that will show the shape. Just a thought.

Paul

View Profile of pwest71 Send a personal message to pwest71      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-18 08:34 am   Permalink

I looked at the photos then I read littlegiles response and it was exactly what I was thinking. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-18 08:50 am   Permalink

I agree, one ivory colored Moai. Maybe you can find something with a bit of texture and a color variation to took like stone. Or maybe a thin slab of actual stone if you have a way to cut it.

Very cool idea Hale.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-18 09:08 am   Permalink

I like the one with two Moai.
Plus you may want to use Baleen,(See post here on that)
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=40536&forum=18&start=0&hilite=baleen
Don't know if you can get it but it looks cool.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-18 09:12 am   Permalink

Actually, I can laser cut/engrave stone......well, cut if it's thin enough....I like the way you think, Mike.

EDIT: John, not a fan of that for the pick guard, but I love that material. Thanks for the suggestion. I may use that for other things like inlays.

Mike, you're brilliant. Formica makes great stone textures!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-04-18 09:16 ]

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-18 09:17 am   Permalink

Here is some on eBay.
They put art on it because you can sell it with art on it because it's art.
But not if it's just whale parts I guess.
Has a really nice black shine to it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BALEEN-WHALE-DECORATIVE-PIECE-Exquisite-/221213011215?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338152ad0f

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-18 09:29 am   Permalink

"Actually, I can laser cut/engrave stone" - I figured you might but the formica is a great idea!

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-18 09:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-18 09:17, tikiskip wrote:

They put art on it because you can sell it with art on it because it's art.

That's brilliant, man. And can be said about so many, many things. I really do dig the look of it.

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-23 05:55 am   Permalink

Well, I got in my samples, and immediately hit the laser cutter. I now know that there's one more thing I can add to the list of materials that does not cut well on a laser cutter:
1. PETG
2. VCT
3. PVC - Produces chlorine gas, which destroys the lungs and leads to a slow death
4. Formica

Here's the results. I like the black one better to begin with. It kind of looks like lava rock, and you can't see the burns as well. The burnt edges on the gray kind of look like a shadow. Anyway, you decide. Thanks for the idea, Mike.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation