FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Hukilau 2003 Report
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Hukilau 2003 Report
Mrs. B
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-29 12:50 am   Permalink

Ok, I'm rolling in green sheets of jealousy.
Hukilau is, as reported via cell "classic, awesome, da bomb...and YES 'coooool'."
My guys, Bamboo Ben, Crazy Al, Holden, King and Casey, are having waaaaaaaaaaaay tooooo much fun.
The Mai Kai has sent Bamboo Ben to "heaven"...he says the place is "out of control".... beautifully designed..."ohana" maintained and strict tradition in hospitality.
The vibe is incredible. At 2:30 am, they are all headed out to shoot off fireworks on the beach.
I think with the water temp at 85, there might be some naked people floundering tonight....oh man, I won't skip next year!
AlOOOOOha!
HUKILAU!!!!

View Profile of Mrs. B Send a personal message to Mrs. B      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-29 11:38 am   Permalink

I'm writing this from the lobby of the Holiday Inn in Ft Lauderdale. What a great event. The mai Kai ruled. Thanks to Swanky and Kiliki for pulling off the event of the Summer. More to come later.
Mahalo,
Al

the other AL had a great!!! time as well GONG!!!!!
Crazy Al

Kiliki here too!!!! Amazing - everyone was and is amazing that attended this weekend. Many thanks to everyone! Damn this was fun! - Tiki Kiliki

Damn! and I thought Sam's was THE place! The Mai Kai is where my ashes will be spread whenever I go! SugarCaddyDaddy

Can't believe I was witness to the most phenomenal Mystery Bowl Dance in the history of Tiki!!!!!! Inky definitely won the best auction!!!!!! purple jade

OOOOOOOOOOOUCH! (Bamboo Ben)

"The Mai Kai...I nearly shit a brick"- King Kukulele

Shelley and Inky found a new kind of sensual experience at the Mai Kai. The Mystery Boy sure can make double tiki trouble happen!! Bang a gong, Crazy Al, Band a Gong!
Shell in the Pacific

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mrs. B
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-29 6:44 pm   Permalink

Ok, the shade of green just became very, very deep!
The crew, Bamboo Ben, Crazy Al, King Kook, Al, Shelley and Inky are enjoying the sunset at the tip of Key West.
They ROCK! After 3 days and nights of heavy partying (All closed the Mai Kai last night then Ben and Al went bodysurfing til 5 am....then, of course, back to the room to torture Holden who had to board his plane in a few hours) and still they all make it to the tip for sunset!! Inky ran up to the group catching the sunset by just a few minutes....very "cool."
It's a sea of about 1000 people for the sunset gig and crazy antics everywhere!
Man, I'm so not missing next year
That's the latest from some of our TC peeps.
Aloha!

View Profile of Mrs. B Send a personal message to Mrs. B      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mrs. B
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-29 6:47 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Mrs. B on 2003-06-29 18:49 ]

Mrs. B
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-29 11:35 pm   Permalink

Caught the crew on "Sloppy Joes" live cam....thanks to Floratina....she clued us all in via cell, reg phone and "coolness."
Mahalo.
Told Crazy "ass" Al to jump on stage but I think King Kook was begging "no show tonight!!"
Geeeezus, what a rage, how "cool," aahhhhh!
Huge Aloha to the Key West venture crew!!!!

floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-29 11:37 pm   Permalink

Just spoke with the gang. They were at a bar called Sloppy Joe's in Key West and they cavorted in front of the webcam so's I (and anyone else who got a cellular head's up) could see them.

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hoahele Howard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-06-30 12:30 am   Permalink

A great event, great location, great fun, and great people.

Lots of stuff for sale both up in the Coral Room and on the vendor's floor. It was hard to walk away from either without blowing a wad of cash. Too bad the Shag mugs didn't show up on time. I know they'll arrive soon enough...

I Belli Di Wakiki rocked the house two nights in a row, both at the party on Friday and at the Mai Kai on Saturday. Grazie!

Speaking of the Mai Kai -- what a place. This was my second time at the restaurant and it's just as wonderful as ever -- a Mecca for the tikiphile.

I'd like to post something longer and more thoughtfull here but my head is swimming with too many memories.

I've posted a little gallery of photos at
http://www.astropad.com/hukilau

Enjoy!

View Profile of Hoahele Howard Send a personal message to Hoahele Howard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-30 02:23 am   Permalink

Tim and Christie, Bre'elle and Tristan...what can I say....The whole event..Truly (as Mai Kai means....) "The Best". This place raises the bar so very high that one would have to discuss any further progress with Saint Peter. Kern, Pia, and the Mai Kai family have to be the most effective, exemplary, warm, personable, and knowledgeable people ever born into the Polynesian dream, and the hospitality sets a benchmark. The legacy of Bob and Jack Thornton is impeccable in every detail and cared for like the Sistine Chapel of the Tiki world. The show was so great I was overwhelmed....it's just a masterpiece. To all of you great people I finally got to meet: Gecko...your'e the real thing, Braddah, a true believer. Hope to see you at La Mariana soon...Ben and Al- Your persons far, far exceed your legend...a great couple of guys that run circles around us country boys...hope to see you soon on the Hale Tiki project..We'll get your bail all worked out and/or dial 911 in advance. Thanks for the shirt, Ben, it'll be in rotation by tomorrow! Pacifica and the Afa Tasi family...you stole the show. You exemplify the Aloha spirit..Al and Shelley-(low Maitre De voice: )-"Mr. Wolfe told me to inform you that everything is on the house...enjoy your evening at the Kon Tiki Paradise Room"..Your thoughtfulness is out of this world and then some, just great people. Thanks for the coffee can, card, and pendant. I sketched you out a Samoan war club in the car on the way home. I hope you like it...Purple Jade and HumuHumu (insert Barry White music)..charm, talent, and class...James-can we switch brains? This man has forgotten more about tiki bars than half the world will ever know. It was a pleasure; just let me know if you want something carved and we'll part-trade out for some artifacts...Casey, I soooo admire your job, my friend, and wish I had half as much in the charm department..I'll look out for C.T. stuff for you and have to visit soon to check out the Tropics in person..Kukelele, I'd trust you with my life. If you want the best, that's the guy, period. Holden, you're at the top of your game and strictly a class act...Kava King and Michelle, your drinks await, so get up here! TikiVixen, Vern, Powerofthetiki, Traderpup, Lance, Doctor Z, Mr. Smiley, TikiGreg, it was a pleasure meetin you and you all are welcome anytime at the Paradise Room if you happen through Georgia. Anybody that has a "Hey, what about me" please speak up..You all drink for free at the KTPR...This big oaf from Jawja and his Wahine had a blast. I'm drooling for next year like an Ed Roth caRTOON~!

[ This Message was edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-06-30 18:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-07-01 16:55 ]

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-30 05:51 am   Permalink

Just a brief shout to say what a blast the 2003 Hukilau was! I will detail more later but for now, let me say that all the organizers, vendors and participants did a great job. The tiki gods smiled upon us.

The venue was great. Mai Kai, hotel, beach everything!

I was at the closing of the Kahiki and everyone kept saying how it was the ultimate Polynesian bar/restaurant. Well, with respect, I submit that the Mai Kai lacks nothing comparted to the Kahiki, and more importantly, continues to live on.

The weekend was really great. The thing that struck me during the weekend is what great friendships we all have experienced because of our love of tiki. I get the warmest feelings from you guys. There is just an indescribable happiness that I get inside when I talk with the people that I have met through our common interest. I don't get that anywhere else.

Special thanks to Kiliki for the great work. I got to spend more time with her this year and she is one helluva tiki woman and event organizer.

Photos and more comments to come.

Mahalo and appreciation to all,

TB

[ This Message was edited by: tikibob on 2003-06-30 22:09 ]

View Profile of tikibob Send a personal message to tikibob  Email tikibob Goto the website of tikibob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CaseyJPS
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-30 11:21 am   Permalink

WOW! At the risk of sounding out-of-character, THIS EVENT ROCKED!! This was my first event and I am truly impressed.

Thank you Tiki Kaliki, Swanky, Trader Trick and Tiki Bree--you should be very proud of your efforts. CAN WE GO BACK TO THE MAIKAI EVERY YEAR?

Thank you for allowing the CTR to participate in such a positive life experience! I am truly looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Mahalo!

View Profile of CaseyJPS Send a personal message to CaseyJPS  Email CaseyJPS Goto the website of CaseyJPS     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
manic cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-30 1:02 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the photos! Keep 'em coming for the folks back home!
MC

View Profile of manic cat Send a personal message to manic cat  Email manic cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-30 5:37 pm   Permalink

tiki bob is right - i am missing the sense of camraderie that was at this event already. i'm also ten times as homesick for florida.

all i can say about the event otherwise is - wow.

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-30 9:58 pm   Permalink

It does not get better than this! So spectacular an introduction by Crazy Al is needed!

Here are photos!

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b320d8f7a441

What a weekend!

TB

[ This Message was edited by: tikibob on 2003-07-01 10:21 ]

View Profile of tikibob Send a personal message to tikibob  Email tikibob Goto the website of tikibob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mrs. B
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-30 10:25 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2003-06-30 11:21,
CaseyJ@Calientetropics.com wrote:
WOW! At the risk of sounding out-of-character, THIS EVENT ROCKED!!

Nope, Casey honey, I say that all the time
See you soon.
Aloha!!!

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-30 10:43 pm   Permalink

Now that's a lucky optometrist (and I mean that respectfully, Al!).

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation