FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Hukilau 2003 Report
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Hukilau 2003 Report
Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-17 08:33 am   Permalink

kiliki -

http://www.tropirock.com

- i think they only have like 40-something rooms. alot of outdoor (and roof!) space, though.

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-17 08:36 am   Permalink

Shelley and I stayed at Tropirock our last night in Ft Lauderdale. It was very cool. I recomend it.
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-17 12:29 pm   Permalink

Marian and I have stayed there as well. I love their roof top hammock. How did you find it? Just curious.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-17 12:56 pm   Permalink

The internet of course
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-17 1:37 pm   Permalink

Yeah, us too. I think it would be way too small for the Hukilau ohana though. By the way, it was great to finally meet you both.
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-17 2:08 pm   Permalink

Thanks Rain! Looks like a very nice and cozy spot. Maybe we can find a place with those qualities just larger.

I'll have to look into staying there when we're in Lauderdale later this year.

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-17 6:34 pm   Permalink

That pool thing at the Tropirock main web page is too cool.

TB

View Profile of tikibob Send a personal message to tikibob  Email tikibob Goto the website of tikibob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-07-17 7:05 pm   Permalink

I got to sit upper center in the back of the restaurant which gave me a good view of the Mai-Kai's main dining room. It also gave me a good view of....ANGER MAN!
Anger man was this guy in a party of 8 sitting in
front and left of me. I didn't notice him until the
waiter brought the flaming banana dessert to their
table. The waiter set up his cart behind anger man,
lit the flaming booze and poured it on the bananas.
This apparently scared anger man and he turned around
and with great anger uttered something (like "you
sonofabitch whaddayou trying to do burn me to death?).
The waiter explained something probably like, "sorry
sir, I am just making your dessert". I couldn't hear
what they were saying but the facial expressions said
it all. After the waiter explained what he was doing,
Anger man lept out of his chair and dashed around the
other side of the table to escape the "banana flames
of death". The waiter served the dessert and left.
After this, I couldn't help taking a peek at Anger
Man from time to time. He was wearing some boring
non-tiki t-shirt . Anger Man scowled for the rest of
the evening and left as soon as the floor show
ended-before the auctions left.
Anger Man should have
been happy that he escaped "the banana flames of
death"!--bruce
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-17 7:27 pm   Permalink

Hey I think it's funny that mr smiley (aka mild mannered Bruce) finally met his arch-rival Anger Man

...and he was no match for mr smiley's flaming bananas.... but one day he will return oh yes, to rule the world!!!!!

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-17 10:26 pm   Permalink

was anger man sitting with hukilau people? if so, i'm willing to bet i know who it is. and if so, he's always like that.

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Afa Tasi 50

Posted: 2003-07-18 06:25 am   Permalink

Aloha, Talofa, and Buenos Diaz to everyone. Samoan Dan here. I want to say thank everyone for all the kind words posted about my dad ( Pasefika ) and I. It was a real pleasure meeting everyone and I can't remember having such a great time. I think my liver is still recovering from the Hukilau Weekend:)It was interesting to see pics of my dad and my godfather from the Kai back in the seventies. I also read that Crazy Al went swimming at the Yankee Clipper Hotel. It's cool to know that people are aware that the hotel had a Polynesian Restaurant back in the sixties. A little fact about the restaurant is a group of Polynesian Dancers featuring my father Pasefika, my Godfather Taafili, and my Aunt Tuai worked the show for seven years until it closed in 1969. The show opened with new dancers in 1971 but closed two years later. Just a FYI. Well I wish there was enough space to type thanks to everyone who were involved with the Hukilau. Thanks for allowing Afa Tasi to take part in such a wonderful event. I plan a becoming a regular in Tiki Central because I like the vibe being generated. Bamboo Ben, Crazy Al, and King it was a pleasure staying up all night with you guys and spreading the Polynesian love to everyone on the 6th floor and in Holden's room. Peace everyone and aloha.

View Profile of Afa Tasi 50 Send a personal message to Afa Tasi 50  Email Afa Tasi 50 Goto the website of Afa Tasi 50     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-18 08:01 am   Permalink

Aloha, Dan! Good to hear from you...your room/your dad were the hit of the floor! You guys are Hukilau fixtures from here on out; no if's, and's, or but's will be accepted...I have to thank your dad again for the coconut and the two cups of Pasefika brand hangover cure. That was the best. Welcome to Tiki Central!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-18 09:05 am   Permalink

Drummer Dan!

Missin' the COCO NutS!!!! Our trees out here don't have em! It would be kind o hard to make a drink in a date! (date palms)Practice that drum and we'll get Holden next year! I'll practice my Kung Fu too!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
manic cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-18 12:24 pm   Permalink

Mr. Smiley's ANGERMAN story was so funny. Thanks for sharing. I'm still giggling at work...
MC

View Profile of manic cat Send a personal message to manic cat  Email manic cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-18 12:56 pm   Permalink

Hi Dan! You guys were a great addition to Hukilau! Thanks so much for the coconuts. You guys gotta do that for the whole bunch next year.

Great stories....Swanky and I will be coming down to Lauderdale soon and we'd really like to get together with you guys and Kern.

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation