FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving PT's Foray Into The Realm Of Chisels and Blood
PT's Foray Into The Realm Of Chisels and Blood
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-03 3:50 pm   Permalink

well....no blood *yet*, but it is my first foray into carving wood! Hopefully it's as easy as carving on a skateboard! After 6-ish years of drooling over beautiful carvings by various TC members, I said "what the hell...might as well!" So I picked up 2 different sets at Home Depot, 1 set w/ 3 chisels ranging from 1/2" to 1", the other set with smaller, more detailed-oriented gouges and such. Picked up a piece of scrap wood and started widdling away at it, and that's when I realized that I'm probably not using a good "beginners wood" (is there such a thing? From my small amount of research, I'm guessing I shoulda gone with basswood or pine since it's so abundant here!). Here's a pic of what I've been attempting to have a go at.

Be gentle, I'm a total newcomer to this glorious realm of wood. I decided a moai would be a step in the right direction, however I've been running into splintering and peeling. I found the easiest instruments to work with so far have been a hook knife (of all things) and a scoop chisel that came with one of the two sets.

Any tips/advice/slander that you deem relevant and helpful I welcome with open arms as I'd like to move to even bigger and better woods and carving styles. Also keep in mind that I'm used to 2D images. I'm an illustrator and designer by trade so these 3D objects are foreign to me.

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-03 4:04 pm   Permalink

Keep carving. A little depth is desireable.

Basswood is a beautiful medium to begin with.

Your finger appears frail and unharmed so far. Take some risks, but don't overdo it.

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-04 04:06 am   Permalink

Your on the right track.
They start cub scouts off with bars of soap.
They're soft.
Also,
Keep your tools sharp,
& your band aids close.
& keep posting.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-04 06:21 am   Permalink

Bass wood is the best to begin with. As stated in other threads I feel that buying one good chisel is better than spending the same amount on a group of crappy chisels. You are starting off on a small piece of wood - not appropriate for chisels and skill level. Start with a big piece of wood that you can clamp down and remove your fleshy parts from the picture. Once you get used to how the chisels, gouges and knives work - then move into smaller stuff.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-04 1:38 pm   Permalink

my 2 cents worth of advice..

draw it out. that way you have some lines to follow with the blades.

I draw all mine out before I cut 'em...gives me a direction...

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-04 3:17 pm   Permalink

Tom & I just got done talking about this &
we agree that piece of wood your holding is
exacto size. Not chisel stuff.
You need bigger wood or smaller tools.
I like exacto #10 & @ 11.
And don't hold wood in your hand & carve into
your palm.
Get bigger wood & clamp it down.
You'll never cut your self if you don't put
your fingers in front of the blade.
Think be for you cut.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-04 9:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-12-04 15:17, Will carve wrote:
Tom & I just got done talking about this &
we agree that piece of wood your holding is
exacto size. Not chisel stuff.
You need bigger wood or smaller tools.
I like exacto #10 & @ 11.
And don't hold wood in your hand & carve into
your palm.
Get bigger wood & clamp it down.
You'll never cut your self if you don't put
your fingers in front of the blade.
Think be for you cut.

Yeah I realized that. I had been using smaller tools including a hobby knife I had in my room. But I will definitely hit up bigger pieces of wood with my chisels.

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-04 9:39 pm   Permalink

What they all said...

But most of all HAVE FUN!

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-10 12:45 pm   Permalink

any progress on this?

Will's right, every time I've cut myself it was due to my hand being in the path of the blade. After a few 'lucky' nicks I try to be more conscious about where my fingers are in relation to the knife/chisel...

I checked out your skateboards, nice!

View Profile of Atomic Mess Send a personal message to Atomic Mess  Goto the website of Atomic Mess     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RIOTURBAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-10 2:49 pm   Permalink

Recently i remembered how we used do do potato print at the kindergarden.i now carve carrots as little design models before i carve the "real pieces".its a good practice and if you don`t like it - just eat it!
happy carving!

View Profile of RIOTURBAN Send a personal message to RIOTURBAN  Email RIOTURBAN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-10 4:28 pm   Permalink

All this dialog.......... and one pic?

Cmon Pocky! Carve man!

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-11 11:14 am   Permalink

Yeah sorry for the lack of carving updates. I've been working on those panels that I've been posting in the other thread!

PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-12 08:45 am   Permalink

Just picked up a couple blocks of basswood so I should have some carving updates for you guys within the next couple days.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation