FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events OHANA Luau at the Lake 2013: The Official Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
OHANA Luau at the Lake 2013: The Official Thread
Queequeg

Posted: 2013-07-03 06:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-27 08:03, tikiskip wrote:
If Bud is the beer of champions,
What is Pabst the beer of?

Ohana, of course!

Great seeing everyone there! Gort lives!

View Profile of Queequeg Send a personal message to Queequeg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-kitty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-04 09:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-01 12:46, Hale Tiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-06-30 16:40, Tiki-kitty wrote:
Aloha Ohana friends! What a GREAT time!!!
Can anyone help me here: what was the documentary about Polynesian culture that ran at the beginning of the Drive-In movies on Saturday night? I didn't get to see the whole thing....I was competing in the Guess The Old Man Beer contest...I came in 2nd....I am kinda proud/kinda ashamed.
MAHALO!

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=34772&forum=12

Hoping that Sven has a new batch of them for Christmas this year, as mine is long gone. Or if I do have, it's in a box in storage...

THANKS SO much, Hale Tiki!!

View Profile of Tiki-kitty Send a personal message to Tiki-kitty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captainquad
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-04 4:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-30 16:40, Tiki-kitty wrote:
Aloha Ohana friends! What a GREAT time!!!
...I was competing in the Guess The Old Man Beer contest...I came in 2nd....I am kinda proud/kinda ashamed.
MAHALO!

I think you can lean toward the proud: the winner of the first fabulous prize only got one more than you and only two others got two. It's hard, I tellya, since the light american lagers are all in the same family. In some cases, pretty incestuous: Pabst has been buying up a lot of the small OMB marques and keeping them in production and I think they're doing their damnedest to make all old man beer taste like all other old man beer. Blatz, National Bohemian and Schmidt's are all produced by Pabst and damn if they don't seem to be three taps off the same keg. For the record, the beers in the challenge:

Strohs, Schaefer, Piels, Gennessee, Narragansett.

The first three are Pabst products while the last two are still independently brewed, albeit Gansett had to be brought back from the dead by a dedicated follower with some resources. No matter, they really all taste about alike, although I can say that having had them all, Piels is the one most like fornication in a canoe. Gansett, for the record, also produces excellent seasonal brews and good cream ale and bock. Just had one on tap in NYC yesterday before seeing Richard Cheese and I can note that like most beer, it's better on tap.

Having had what I'd call a successful first challenge, the crack team at OHANA is brewing up another for next year, plus I will definitely get the Mai Tai challenge going. It's always fun to taste blind then see what you really think...

CQ
OMBC 2014!
A/V Squad
Risk Management Squad

Yes'm.
They'll get together.

View Profile of captainquad Send a personal message to captainquad  Email captainquad Goto the website of captainquad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-05 03:36 am   Permalink

A little bit of press from the event...

http://poststar.com/lifestyles/a-taste-of-tiki/article_a06f3eba-e4c9-11e2-9ae1-0019bb2963f4.html

The Glenns Falls Post Star:

"...The upstate New York village, with its mid-century modern architecture and vintage tourist attractions, is a welcome blast from the past for the tiki-philes, who have been descending on the destination for the past five years like a shimmering UFO in a 1950s science fiction film."

Which is an entertaining description of the event, more so if you saw any of the costumes from the Return of the Son of the Thing from Lake George from Thursday's party.

Some more pics here: http://fraternalorderofmoai.org/huimalu/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16139

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-kitty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-05 05:48 am   Permalink

Captainquad:
THANKS for the "Beer Chat" corner of Tiki Central!
The beer challenge was a bit harder than I thought it would be-- especially considering I had never tasted 2 of the 5 before!
I think it was a great addition to Ohana (my taste buds may disagree) and I look forward to the challenge next year!!
Mahalo!

View Profile of Tiki-kitty Send a personal message to Tiki-kitty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-05 06:04 am   Permalink

Here are a few Sights from Ohana weekend for those unable to join us in Lake George......

The Return of the Son of the Thing From Lake George Kick-off party....wacky costumes everywhere!:

The Deadhead Rum Cocktail Contest Runner-up - The Barrel Aged I'ke Kula:

& The Trader Vic's Mystery Bowl Auction, with all proceeds benefitting the Easter Island Foundation:

And, of course the Polynesian Dinner Show at The Tiki:

'till Next Year, Tiki Resort!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation