FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 )
Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-19 09:03 am   Permalink

Lion King looks great

Can't wait to see the Aloha Mugs glaZed

That rock wall is kool

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 17 days ago; 11:05 pm   Permalink

I've been working on a few projects but slow going- posting more on Instagram than here (oops), including a few videos to show off the mugs spinning on a wheel. Don't think I can post something like that here. I've been working on more of the Aloha Shirt mugs, plus working on a few different versions of the Home Bar mug... one of which I hope to have finished in time for the SD Home Bar Crawl in March! Version 3 of the Aloha Shirt Aloha Mug has a different "fabric," which includes large tropical leaves and little fish. It could be an underwaterish scene or perhaps a scene from Sharknado. You decide.

The first version of the Home Tiki Bar mug (2.0) began as a wheel thrown mug. I added texture all around the mug. Here are a few early shots from adding a map of California. There's now quite a bit more texture. Although the Ca map isn't geographically accurate, it's the thought that counts, right?

Eventually a "SD" goes into the circle...

More (moving images, at least) on instagram (username: tikianos).
http://www.instagram.com/tikianos

Mahalo for the visit!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 16 days ago; 08:42 am   Permalink

Lookin good bra

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 13 days ago; 6:46 pm   Permalink

Got back to the studio today, put final touches on the Home Tiki Bar Mug (3.0). This one, if all goes well, will be a test subject in mold making- though due to the amount of detail it might not be a great test subject.

I've been wanting to take a stab at a particular form for a bit, and had some time today to play. First I threw a slab, then connected it in a square-ish kind of shape. I worked on another at the same time that I kept in the more oval persuasion...

Any idea where these are heading? I worked on the square one first, which I'm calling 1.0. I added some side features (didn't take photos), then attacked the front features:

Here's v2.0 of the Pufferfish. 1.0 is tentatively being called the "Angularfish due to its square nature...

The tail will be built slowly, as it will float behind the mug body and want to make sure it's pretty firm as the fin extends.

Mahalo for the visit!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 13 days ago; 8:00 pm   Permalink

What a lot of fun creative ideas. What bra? I couldn't find what hang10tiki was referring to.
I like the little fish on the shirt.

How's Tiki Atari? Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 3:44 pm   Permalink

Oops, forgot to post more photos! Wendy, Jon was referring to a "bro," or "brother." I think. Actually, maybe he WAS talking about a bra. I'm not sure, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas, so who knows...

Okay, the Art Swap mug came out of the kiln. I used a midfire glaze (Batik Blue) which 'breaks' differently over textures and where it's applied denser. I like how it came out- it looks like a vintage Aloha Shirt after a (very) long weekend at Tiki Oasis. Hopefully the Art Swap partner will enjoy it.

I started work on a new mug, using a clay extruder to make a long (tall) cylinder). I added a bottom/ base and wet it, curving it a bit at the top. I then let it set up for a few days, then cut some of the clay away.

I started to add some suction cups...

Then added some texture to the other side:

The base is cut wider than the cylinder- I've carved a few water lines, so the Kraken arm will be coming out of the water. The interior of the cylinder was trimmed away- I left it fairly rough to look like an actual arm- somewhat sinewy, etc.

Tentatively titled the "(Better) Get Kraken!"

I had a bit more clay in the extruder, so I started working on my first mug request- a remake of one of my first mugs (not so traditional, so BE WARNED): 'Stachetiki 2.0.

Mahalo for the looksie!

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 4 days ago; 8:42 pm   Permalink

Octopus!!!

Oh no another mustache. I had Dan shave his off when it turned white. It just didn't go with his brown head of hair.

What do you love about them? Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 3 days ago; 5:40 pm   Permalink

Wendy, Ha ha! I think they're funny. I kind of want to make a Moai with Groucho Marx glasses, too. Or maybe a clown nose? I'm all for taking existing forms that excite all of us, then transforming them in somewhat odd directions.

On other news fronts, the bonus piece I was working on last minute for the Art Swap snapped during an intense underglaze glazing session. Unfixable, so looks like there won't be an Aloha Shirt themed bonus piece in there- though there might be some extra goodies in there...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation