FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 )
Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-10-07 09:59 am   Permalink

Dave I like the test tile on the far left. I got one of those slab texture mats, I need to try it out

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-10-07 1:03 pm   Permalink

Glaze tests are fun. There is an underglaze pencil that you can write on them before you fire and it stays on. I label all my tests and save them on the wall. Using the press detail sheet was genius. Wendy

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2014-10-07 13:04 ]

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-09 09:20 am   Permalink

I like the medium brown, second from the right. Da Bar Mug looking good Tiki Ano.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-14 10:59 am   Permalink

Thanks, guys. I think I've chosen the glaze, but might hold off since I'm thinking about making a mold of this design and have been advised to do this with bisqueware rather than a glazed mug (thanks, Wendy!). We'll see, might just want to see how it looks glazed first...

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-16 12:19 pm   Permalink

Nice job throwing on the wheel, Dave. (why is it called "throwing", anyways?)

The white glaze worked out really well over the Speckled Buff on this one.

Bowie

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

[ This Message was edited by: Bowana 2014-10-16 12:19 ]

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-22 10:47 am   Permalink

Not sure of the real reason for the name
But I know that if I attempted to "throw" clay on a wheel
I'd likely throw something

Hats off to all you clay people

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-10-25 10:42 am   Permalink

The bowl is beautiful. I hope you feel the excitement of a piece well done.
When is the tiki room mug coming out? Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-26 9:49 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Dave & Jon! Glad you guys like it. Trying to throw more (to get better at it).

Wendy, thanks- "Da Bar" mug has been bisque fired but I haven't glazed it yet. I'm still deliberating about making a mold of it, but most likely will just glaze it to finish it up. Working on a few pieces for the nursery that the wife requested.. .which, yes, is pretty shocking. Since they're not so tiki I haven't posted them here, but you can check them out on the instagram ("tikianos", or
http://instagram.com/tikianos

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 28 days ago; 8:53 pm   Permalink

I checked out instagram. My first visit to that type of site. Seeing all your work together was terrific.

However going to facebook today and seeing your new son was even better. Congratulations. It will be fun to
see if you make him a tiki bowl when he is old enough to have solid food.

This will be a Halloween to always remember. Cheers, Wendy

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 6 days ago; 6:09 pm   Permalink

A long time since posting. Thanks, Wendy, for all of the well wishes. Tiki Ari has been doing well, eating, growing, and doing everything a baby is supposed to do (mainly pooping).

We had come up with his name, Ari, before his birth, but didn't tell anyone. It means "lion" in Hebrew (my wife is Israeli), so I started working on a number of lion- related non-tiki items. I know, it's not the place to post non-tiki stuff, but the second wall tile I made is mid century- styled, ALMOST tiki? In any case, these have been bisque fired, and will be glazed soon:

Each is approximately 7-8" tall:

I've been working on two different mugs for the upcoming TC Art Swap. The theme is "Hawaiian Shirts," so I sketched out my idea- make a mug that IS an aloha shirt. I haven't seen this design before, so it seemed like a good approach. (Sorry if you've seen these photos already on that thread):

First I built the form for a mug out of a slab of clay:

Then attached the bottom to the cylinder form:

I let it firm up, then started working on the basic design:

Added a collar, pocket, and sleeves...

Another potter at the studio I work at saw my slab form, and offered to throw a mug to work on at the same time. She threw it, then trimmed it, and left it for me to work on. Linda's been giving me feedback on each piece. She's a great potter and is always stoked to see what kind of tiki project I'm in the middle of:

I'm working on the slab piece, made entirely by me, for the Art Swap piece, and the wheel thrown form for fun. The slab form is quite a bit taller. The plan was for each to have mismatched seams of the "fabric," as many poorly constructed Aloha Shirts have.

I let each dry up a bit, then started sketching out the design and then started carving. Here's the Slab Mug first:

The wheel thrown mug has a bit more "shoulders," but basically has the same (well, similar) design:

I let this firm up, then added coconut buttons to the form and kept carving:

The two of them together:

Mahalo for the visit!

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 6 days ago; 8:17 pm   Permalink

Those are adorable but not as much at Tiki Ari! Wendy

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 6 days ago; 11:18 pm   Permalink

Wow
Lookin good

Love the "Dan-0 Ano Mugs"

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 5 days ago; 08:19 am   Permalink

Those mugs just keep getting cuter and cuter. Love them both, Wendy

PS good job hang10tiki

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation