FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Ano Mugsville: Tiles, Volcano Bowl, Bobs, & Pendants....
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Tiki Ano Mugsville: Tiles, Volcano Bowl, Bobs, & Pendants....
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-09 10:23 pm   Permalink

U kicked ars brother, hope I get it.
See u next soon at Oasis
Later

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-10 08:25 am   Permalink

I like the Leaning Moai, he's got character. The glaze on the StachTiki is very cool. Water Buffalo? The cannibal projects came out awesome, see ya in a week. (Sorry about the hole in the roof!)

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-10 08:52 am   Permalink

Awesome shrunken head! Really like the glaze. Keep 'em comin'!

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-10 09:49 am   Permalink

The swap is tonight. I may get to own a Tiki Ano! You dinner time cannibal is adorable. The shrunken head abstract makes me think of Bosko. You are on a roll. See you next week, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-11 3:32 pm   Permalink

Mike, thanks a lot. The Leaning Moai came out of the kiln looking interesting, will post a pic soon. Lesson learned, though: runny glaze under not so runny glaze not the best combination. I will try to remember to bring a little bit of that black clay for you at Oasis. The worst part of the ceiling was surprising my wife when she came back home from a business trip ( it wasn't my fault, though). Well, that and the drywall dust everywhere. This was water buffalo no. 2, not tiki but ceramic related. Just gave it as a bday gift, never got a chance to take a pic after it came out of the kiln. (there are a few pics on the last one earlier in this thread).

TRR, thanks a lot. Glad you like the shrunken heads. I guess the Cannibal Art Swap inspired me.

Wendy, thanks so much. Look forward to seeing you this week! I should bring a box of my wares for you to choose one???

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-07 10:14 am   Permalink

45 minutes to Marketplace. I hope you make it. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-07 6:15 pm   Permalink

Hi Wendy,

Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it- which is probably better for my wallet. It would have been fun to see everyone but I wasnt able to leave work until 12, which didn't leave a lot of time to make it up there.... Hope to see you at a future marketplace!

David / Tiki Ano

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-07 6:21 pm   Permalink

It was fun but a super hot day. We were all melting and doing imaginary hugs due to sweat. I'm sure I'll see you somewhere in the future, we try to get around. Wendy

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-10 07:09 am   Permalink

It's been a while since posting any recent work- work, etc getting in the way- been throwing more pieces, not tiki per se, on a wheel, so not posting those pics here.

Second Mustache Moai tile came out of the kiln- made with that black clay, it has six coats of glaze (necessary for that crazy clay body). I left the 'stache unglazed, which leaves it rough and a great charcoal black color:

Also started cutting and carving two smallish tiles (work in progress):

Tentatively titled: "Where the Wild Tikis Are" (this will be built up and carved some more as it dries):

and the "Inverse Moai" (this will also be built up some more):

Trying a different approach for these, there is a lot of work to be done but should look pretty cool. Thanks for lookin'.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-10 07:51 am   Permalink

Kool color

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-11 7:40 pm   Permalink

Hmm..I am seeing interesting possibilities....

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-11 8:47 pm   Permalink

Diggin the look of the wild moai

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-12 10:13 am   Permalink

Thanks Dave & Badd. I've had the Wild Things Tiki in my sketchbook a while, just trying a new process. The clay body (1/2 & 1/2) was pretty wet, not great for carving. I admit, I'm more of an "additive" than "subtractive" clay guy, so now trying multiple directions at once. Been throwing too much, slightly off on my hand building. Ha.

Dave, still look forward to meeting up one of these days and clay jamming.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-14 05:31 am   Permalink

Made me think of a drink coaster ....
Hmmmm

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-16 3:34 pm   Permalink

Jon, funny- they look slightly less like coasters now... (though not a bad idea for a future project). These will both be hanging tiles, slightly larger than the 'Stachetiki ones I've made in the past. They will most likely be used in decorating the new bar I'm planning to build at home. They have holes for lanyards built into their backs. I added more clay to add dimensions (from my earlier post), let that dry a bit, then shaped and trimmed the forms. (Jon, the space below the nose on the Moai-ish tile is not quite large enough for a glass- or tiki mug):

This tile was trimmed fairly thin, hoping it won't crack when bisque fired, though I'm ready to start another one that's a bit thicker...

The Maurice Sendak inspired tile seems a little less "Where the Wild Things Are" right now and a little more mod...

Though not quite tiki, here are a few photos of some thrown pieces (shapes inspired by some midcentury designs, which is kinda sorta related to tiki....?).

The first is made of black clay- finally figured out the technique for getting bolder colors to set onto this interesting clay body. The others are on white/ b-mix clay.

(going for a slightly atomic look....)

Low bowl/ plate, used as a glaze test- dig how this came out, plan to use same glaze combo on future tiki pieces....

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation