FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Ano Mugsville: Tiles, Volcano Bowl, Bobs, & Pendants....
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Tiki Ano Mugsville: Tiles, Volcano Bowl, Bobs, & Pendants....
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-25 07:40 am   Permalink

Working on a couple other projects (including a tiki bar garage plan/ build-out), but here's a very out of focus shot of the two hanging tiles that were bisque fired. Sorry it's a bit blurry, you can decide whether the photo was taken:

a) with a phone
b) after too many mai tais.

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-25 08:36 am   Permalink

Was it taken /: with a phone after too many mia tias?

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-26 08:14 am   Permalink

Did you throw the bowls?
Are you making a tiki wind chime?
I always smile when I see your tiki with a mustache, I like that glaze too.
We are having fun with clay so lets keep going forever, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-26 2:49 pm   Permalink

Badd, always a good slash correct option.

Wendy, yes, I threw those bowls, finally getting slightly better on the wheel- and enjoying it, which is (almost) more important.

Wind chimes are not a bad idea, but the two pieces are hanging wall tiles- they have a different ways to mount on the wall on the other side. Next up will be a similar design suggested by Hang10, and THEN starting work on the Art Swap piece. I have two very different concepts in mind, not sure which one will be the final version. So glad 'Stachetiki makes you smile, too- I keep making them, they will eventually be used as tiles on the new home bar....

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-30 9:38 pm   Permalink

Got a few things out of the kiln today- I can't post some until next week (to be explained later), but the "Where the Wild Tikis Are" hanging wall tile came out- might be renamed "Sendakatiki." The two glaze combo worked out- (digging that blue rutile). Colors are a bit different in person (w/o the overhead fluorescent lights in the clay studio). Here's a couple of angles:

Jon/ Hang10 commented that he thought my last set of cut-out wall tiles looked like a coaster. I thought it was a great idea, so started working on a Moai coaster. First I rolled out (or, threw out) a slab:

I then traced out a circle large enough for a medium sized tiki mug (with extra room, since the clay will shrink ~10% as it dries), then drew and trimmed out my version of a Moai's head:

Added some facial features: brow & nose:

Smoothed out some edges and added stone texture:

I used another cup to press out a small circle to "mark" where the glass and/or tiki mug will go. I was feeling ambitious, and made two more. I made these a bit smaller (the first one was admittedly pretty large and would take up a good amount of space on the top of the bar). These have a much smaller diameter for the coaster part, might be good for a zombie/ collins or mai tai glass.

Next up is starting on the Art Swap piece (v.1)!

Jon, thanks for the inspiration! Look forward to hearing any feedback....

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-01 06:06 am   Permalink

Nice coasters. If you leave the "mouth" unglazed the mug/glass won't slide around and the unglazed stoneware will absorb the condensation from the drink.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-01 07:47 am   Permalink

Great color

The Moai coasters look cool
Love that the drink will not cover the entire design
Good stuff

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-01 07:53 am   Permalink

Those colors were perfect for your art. The coasters are a wonderful idea and would be really fun to use. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-02 09:44 am   Permalink

Mike, thanks- great idea- may have to try this on at least one of these. Originally I thought about attaching some cork to that area. Slightly concerned about the high fired stoneware staining from something spilled on it- do you think I should worry?

Jon/ Hang10- I wouldn't have thought of this until you brought it up! Once I figure out the proper sizing (after firing these test ones) I'll have to make you one for the inspiration...

Wendy, thank you. I originally thought about building up the nose for a more traditional Moai "look," then realized it needed to be more coaster-like- and I think I've realized I really like working with this style Moai. For now, at least...

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-02 12:30 pm   Permalink

If the coasters are for personal use you don't have to worry about stains. Since you have access to a kiln, you just re-fire and it burns out the stains

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-02 7:33 pm   Permalink

ANO-
U da man...

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-03 6:59 pm   Permalink

I'd love myself a Moai coaster if you ever make a bunch and want to sell them! Great idea. I wish I was as creative as everyone on TC!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-04 11:40 am   Permalink

Mike, that seems like a fairly intense form of coaster maintenance...

Jon, hey, I just went with your idea... ha!

Lori, thanks, for now they're for personal use, and this is the first round of 'em. Let me see where this road takes me... Cool to hear, though!

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-06 10:10 pm   Permalink

Ker-blam! Another peril of not owning my own kiln- this greenware piece was loaded into the kiln before it was fully dry, and reacted to the bisque fire by blowing up. As it should have. The kiln loader apologized, looks like I will start working on a new larger Moai Coaster.

Stay tuned for some other stuff, hopefully later this week....

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-07 07:38 am   Permalink

OH NO ):

A tiny air pocket will do that too. I add so much clay to my pieces that I always fear this will happen.
You could glaze the pieces and make a mosaic. (: Wendy

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation