FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-19 7:01 pm   Permalink

Forgot to post this yesterday, but here's a little tiny pinch pot mug/ cup with some little tiny oddball Moais on it (three total). It's less than 4" tall, but the Saturated Gold glaze came out pretty nice.

Jon, ha! Hope to start glazing version 2 of the Art Swap Mug ASAP so I can relax before the holidays....

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-19 8:49 pm   Permalink

Nice coconuts. I like the texture your tool is making. I use a wire brush with different length wires for mine and it's much quicker than the scoring tool I was using before.

It looks like you're going for a darker clay body, which is a great idea. I've run into trouble trying to get glaze in the deep grooves, when I've carved the coconut texture, too deep. I like Black Mountain for this as it turns a nice dark brown. That way, you don't have to worry about missing glaze, you save time because you don't have to glaze, or worry about glaze chips, once they're finished.

I've also been using Coleman Porcelain slip, to eliminate the iron bits from popping through the glaze on the inside. I tested 2 vs. 3 layers of slip and found that 2 doesn't cover up all the spots, even with two poured layers of glaze over it. It looks like you're using a different clay, so that'll make a difference.

That gold glaze is also pretty cool.

Keep up the great work!

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-23 05:31 am   Permalink

Thanks- the chatter tool is pretty handy. I've watched others use it and borrowed someone's to give it a go. Would like to use it on other (non tiki) thrown pieces for some cool effects. TRR, the clay body will turn a bit lighter once it's high fired. It's Speckled Buff, which is similar (I think) to Rod's Bod, which you use. The clay becomes an oatmeal like color, and little specks come out when it's glaze fired (cone 5-6). I haven't used the porcelain slip before but used three layers just in case. I haven't used Black Mountain clay body (I have easier access to and mostly use Laguna Clay), though they do have an "Electric Brown" that (sounds) pretty similar.

Note on the Amaco gold (high fire) glaze- it seems it only gets "really gold" when it's in the middle of the kiln when it's fired. The pinch pot Moai piece turned out when, though two Art Swap pieces had one section w/ that same glaze that turned out differently. I know Amaco's Palladium (another metallic glaze, though not food safe) relies on the right positioning in the kiln for the right effect.

TRR, look forward to seeing more of your work- it's amazing.

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-24 11:32 pm   Permalink

Cheers bruddah
Dis Mai-Tai for u

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-25 10:45 am   Permalink

Jon, thanks! Have fun out there!

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-25 5:04 pm   Permalink

The first round of coasters are out of the kiln. Admittedly, they're slightly too small for any glass except a Zombie/ Collins glass, but I will enlarge the base for future coasters. These will work great as hanging tiles or bar decor.

The Kahiki Fireplace tiles: A combination of shino glazes made the stone work look realistic. The fire is textured and "raised" from the back of the fireplace. Maybe not the best for glasses (since it's slightly uneven/ unlevel), but feels cool if you touch it.

The Moai coasters, group shot:

One glaze combo close up:

The other Moai Coaster, crazy glaze combo 2:

[ This Message was edited by: TikiAno 2013-11-25 21:12 ]

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-03 08:41 am   Permalink

Art Swap mug is finished, inspired by Martin Denny's Exotica! LP:

Original record:

The small coconut bowls came out of the kiln as well. The chatter tool left a great texture on the sides of the mug. I have some other versions that have not yet been bisque fired that I used another carving approach on the outside.

Thanks for lookin'!

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-03 11:03 am   Permalink

Dude how did I miss the "coasters" post
They look great

Album art swap piece is way cool
"Send it over. Better yet, bring it in over"

And coconut bowls done too?
Awesome

U on fire, like a coaster

Jon

[ This Message was edited by: hang10tiki 2013-12-03 11:05 ]

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-22 5:54 pm   Permalink

Finally got back to some tiki-centered work. First up: improved version of Moai coasters- w/ a larger coaster section (that will hold a real-sized mai tai glass). First I threw a slab, trimmed out the shape, drew in the basics, then used a jar of glaze to imprint a circle for the glassware (please note: that is an oversized pencil in the photo):

Then built up the nose and forehead. These have a more authentic Moai nose. I also added a little more depth and shape to the forehead and the eye sockets.

I made another one- here's a photo w/ a hand to show scale. They're now covered in plastic to firm up. They're sitting on a piece of drywall so they stay flat.

I also wanted another go at the Kahiki Coaster. The first two I made were a little too small for a glass. First I trimmed out a basic shape:

Then I corrected the shape and started building it up:

Now wait a bit to get these to firm up a bit, then trim a big more. Thanks for lookin'.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-22 11:58 pm   Permalink

Off to a great start

Jon

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-02 09:13 am   Permalink

Updates?

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-02 09:15 am   Permalink

Hey, I love those Kahiki fireplaces. You are making some fun art, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-04 08:26 am   Permalink

Jon, haven't been to the studio in a few weeks- dang work getting in the way. I went back on Monday to trim away at a few (very dry) pieces. The Kahiki coaster is now ready to be bisqued:

So are the Moai coasters. I sanded them down, fixed all edges, and fine tuned more details.

I trimmed a little odd shaped vessel I threw, to be used for swizzles at the home bar- the walls are very thick, so I was able for it to have lots of depth in the words "RUM" on the side. This is speckled buff clay, so when it's high fired will have little specks showing through.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-04 10:40 am   Permalink

Wow, awesome

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-17 4:22 pm   Permalink

Been a while since I've updated (been working on the home bar, and working to pay for the home bar), not enough clay time. The latest coasters have come out of the kiln. The larger Kahiki coaster:

The two new Moai coasters- I prefer this glaze... and they're larger than the previous version:

More importantly, a mai tai glass fits perfectly in the Moai's mouth:

Also started hand building a set of tiki mugs to be used for work- though not quite tiki (it's for a coffee business), they're rewards for finishing the "Latte Log," not unlike the Tonga Hut's Grog Log- customers have a year to drink the entire coffee business's menu (41 drinks). We started in November, and a few people are almost done. I have to hurry up, since the first finishers were promised a mug. It'll be shaped like a log with some tapa design and more.

Thanks for lookin'.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation