FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Ano Mugsville: Latte Logs out of the kiln....
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Tiki Ano Mugsville: Latte Logs out of the kiln....
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-17 9:24 pm   Permalink

Sweet

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-17 10:03 pm   Permalink

Dave, you're doing some cool stuff. I really like those coasters

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-18 08:00 am   Permalink

That's a wonderful reward for drinking coffee. I'm looking forward to seeing what they look like. Logo on the side or bottom?

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-18 09:11 am   Permalink

Thanks- Mike, actually Jon/ Hang10 was the one who first suggested (thought of?) the coasters- they're fun to make, and I'm happy to have figured out a better/ more appropriate glaze. Mike, I will try one with an unglazed circle for cups, just for you...

Wendy, I'm figuring out the design now. My initial plan was to use a woodgrain stamp to press into the slab (before forming it into a mug), but now I think I'll carve the grain into it. My plan is to keep it looking log-like, with "Latte Log" carved into the side. It'll have a few other images etched in as well. The business name will be on the bottom of the mug. I'll probably work on two or three at the same time, to see which one I like the best. If only you were closer, I'd pay you with hot chocolate to help me carve these properly....

Thanks for the support!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiAno 2014-02-18 09:13 ]

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-19 9:25 pm   Permalink

Update on the (non-tiki) Coffee Biz Tiki Mug. First I drew out the design with a pencil (it's the mug for the first person to finish the "Latte Log"). Using an eraser pushed into the clay, so just drew on top of the initial drawing. The pencil marks will burn away when it's bisque fired.

Then I carved into it with one tool that Wendy once recommended...

And used another tool recommended by Wendy for carving woodgrain (to make it look "log-like"):

Since the clay was not as dry as I liked, I had to go ahead and recarve some of the lines for a cleaner look.

Side, showing a paper coffee mug (w/ our business' logo on the cup sleeve):

Front, w/ texture. Will add more detail- but will be a bamboo-like frame around the "Latte Log" sign.

Didn't get to any tapa designs on this one, but plan on making one more of these mugs (for another customer). Thanks for lookin'.

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-21 09:57 am   Permalink

Now I want COFFEE......

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-21 6:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-21 09:57, hang10tiki wrote:
Now I want COFFEE......

Hahahahaha! First rum, then coffee. Or coffee, then rum? Hmmm....

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-22 6:40 pm   Permalink

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-22 8:47 pm   Permalink

That's really cute. What are you putting on the bottom? Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-24 12:02 am   Permalink

Wendy, since it's slab built I pressed my stamp into the bottom before I attached it to the form. I'll take a photo of it soon, just waiting for it to dry out a bit more to carve a few more details, and then get it bisque fired. I plan on making one more version w/ a slightly different design....

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-24 08:28 am   Permalink

I look forward to seeing every step. Wendy

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-24 1:57 pm   Permalink

As the clay dries it becomes easier to sand down certain areas. I trimmed the areas between the letters to "raise" the letters. I also added texture to the bamboo frame, as well as adding some wood grain behind and around the "Latte Log" letters:

And, for Wendy, here's a look at the bottom of the mug:

Now it waits to get bisque fired- which may take a while (after looking at the firing schedule at the clay studio). Dang it. I'll have to start working on the next Log mug now.

Thanks for lookin'.

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-27 11:08 pm   Permalink

Started working on another handbuilt mug for the "Latte Lug" challenge winner. I had made a slab w/ a slab roller and gotten the form to firm up a bit. I free hand drew then cut out letters out of a thrown slab. Attaching letters one at a time....

until more were scored and slipped onto the mug:

I then drew in and carved a big knot in the side:

then added a little tapa strip:

All of these pieces need to firm up some more, then I will trim more, as well as add wood grain texture to the rest of the mug.

I also continued working on another Moai mug. I saw MadDog Mike cut away a block of clay from his last Art Swap piece, and really wanted to try the process. I cut a chunk of clay out of a bag, removed clay in wet chunks. Wasn't working so well, so I let it firm up a little bit, then attacked it more today. It's the first time I've worked a piece of clay like a wood carver, so it's definitely a learning process- not quite as "Moai" as I had hoped. Once it's trimmed up I'll cut it in half to remove the interior, then re-attach it. So far:

I also got a thrown vessel (that was carved) back after glaze firing. The "Rum" letters are carved very deep into the cup (thick walls), which made the glaze really pop. It's pretty small, and an almost-coconut shape.

Thanks for lookin'.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiAno 2014-02-27 23:09 ]

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-28 07:46 am   Permalink

Very cool

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-07 6:41 pm   Permalink

Further work on the second Latte Log mug... it had dried a bit, so was able to add wood grain texture, as well as make some cleaner cuts/ trims on the clay.

The letters were fixed up:

Details on the Coffee Truck:

and tapa trimmed and cut in deeper...

Hopefully can bisque fire both of these next week.... Thanks for lookin'.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation