FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-07 10:06 pm   Permalink

This is such a fun thread to read and observe. That's a lucky winner. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-12 1:27 pm   Permalink

Thanks Wendy!

A little more progress on a new Moai mug. Instead of starting w/ a circular form, I went a la the Mad Dog Mike (and other potters') method of subtractive work from a chunk of clay. I had trimmed a bit away, but wasn't quite happy w/ its current look:

Not Moai-y enough, so I added clay to improve the features. The top will have a rim/ brim. While I had no intention of it looking like Bamboo Ben's mug from Tiki Farm, it's somewhat similar- maybe it's just its chin. More work will certainly differentiate it. So far:

It will dry out a bit more, then will carve out its ears and more. Next up will be cutting the solid mass in half and hollowing it out, then reattaching it.

Still waiting for the two "Latte Log" Tiki Mugs to be bisque fired- hopefully this week. Here they are, waiting...

Thanks for lookin'.

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-12 4:33 pm   Permalink

Like the new one

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-12 4:52 pm   Permalink

Hand building from wet clay is always a challenge. The waiting around for it to get to just the right firmness for shaping and carving can kill a guy (or gal)!
Moai is looking good.

Bowie

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-13 1:15 pm   Permalink

Thanks, guys! Dave, I agree- this clay was almost there- but needs a bit more time.

Wendy, I've learned from you- looking at the photos showed me some adjustments I need to make! Good advice.

Next up is to chop it in half and start digging out the guts.

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-13 1:18 pm   Permalink

I just took a break from the clay and decided to check up on you. It was fun to find a message.
You are doing great. Your sculpting is fun to watch. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-13 9:57 pm   Permalink

Looking Good,Ano!
Gut that puppy
i wanna see it as a finished vessel pleez!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-19 5:35 pm   Permalink

Thanks! Been away from the studio for a bit, so got back today and started digging away... but first I had to slice the Moai in half...

Then I dug out the guts, until both halves were empty. I think that's what the inside of MY head looks like...

Then I scored and slipped the two halves back together. I didn't trim the top to ensure that it fit together well....

After it set for a little bit, I took a tool and trimmed off the top of the mug.

Next up I wrapped it up in plastic to set up for a bit. I won't touch this until some time next week.

I work at a communal clay studio in San Diego, alongside some very talented potters- not all are into tiki- though the owner of the studio likes working in all styles. Though not a TC member (yet), I wanted to introduce you to L.E. Tiki (her name is Elly)- I'm not sure if there's another LE Tiki on TC- if so, she (and I) apologize.

She threw a bird feeder as one piece of clay on the wheel, then started tinkering with it. I'm pretty interested in buying this piece from her, but thought everyone here might want to check it out- or order one for yourself.

First she textured the palapa with a rake tool:

Then added some holes for the bird seed to pour out. She then added some bamboo framing around each "doorway"

L.E. Tiki is really into details- the bamboo ends are hollowed out and look very realistic.

Higher angle view:

She then added a (very) long bamboo border along the rim of the lower bowl/ seed holder.

I'll try to post some more photos of her work as her Tiki Bird Feeder progresses, and will pass along any comments/ questions/ requests to her as well!

Thanks for lookin'.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-19 5:54 pm   Permalink

Moai looks great
Like da bird house too

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-26 6:33 pm   Permalink

The Latte Log mugs made it out of the kiln.They'll be given away this weekend to two customers who were the first to complete a challenge in drinking 41 coffee drinks off our Coffee Truck menu. Inspired by the Grog Log at the Tonga Hut, they had a year to finish the task. These customers rushed through it to make it to the end first (in four months)- the first place finisher had 9 drinks in one weekend- plus a few more shots of espresso after the completion. In any case, stoked to give these away to folks this weekend. Enough story, here's what they look like: (I made two):

Knotty:

The Coffee Truck on the mug:

Interior:

Mug 2: a bit taller, w/ different design.

I double dipped the mug into the glaze, thinking I would get some kind of "coffee spilling" look. It came out interesting, though not perfect. The glaze gets very glossy when thicker, wasn't expecting such a different look to it.

Sides:

Interior:

The mini-Paco Coconut came out of the kiln as well. This was a hand thrown piece w/ the silhouette of my wife's 14 year chihuahua. He's missing part of one of his ears due to a scrap w/ our other dog over an empty jar of peanut butter. I took the blame, but it really wasn't my fault. It's almost too small to drink out of, so it'll be Paco's honorary mug at the home bar.

It spells out "Paco"...

Interior has same glaze as exterior on top of white porcelain slip. Cool effect:

A little further progress on the Moai Dug-out mug. Cut harder edges and added more details:

Thanks for lookin'.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiAno 2014-03-26 18:37 ]

danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-27 12:45 am   Permalink

Wow there was a lot to catch up on. You and MadDogMike have the cut it in half and hollow it out technique down. I've not tried that yet. The Moai looks really good.

The coffee mugs came out great. I hope you post those who earn one on here.

It's sweet that you dog has a tribute mug.

I really enjoy watching your projects, Wendy

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-27 4:45 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Wendy! Hoping the customers enjoy the mugs- they worked hard for them.

I dug out another mug cut in half yesterday- learning as I go. I'm sure Mike has advice for me (should have asked him first)! The new one is a "Quad Bob" mug- w/ a Tiki Bob on each side. I'm going to work on a few hand-built Bobs next. Thanks for the support. Reading your thread keeps me excited on moving forward w/ designs. Hope to see you at an event soon.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-29 8:31 pm   Permalink

Cheers to u n paco

Looks good

That thick glaZe does look like coffee

Kool

Jon

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-30 2:25 pm   Permalink

The Latte Loggers picked up their mugs this weekend. Originally the (one) winner was going to receive a mug AND a track jacket, but with the tie I made t-shirts for each- as well as a small wooden box to store the mugs. I cut down some pieces of pallet wood, burned them and shot them together. Pretty simple but did the trick. Here are a few pics of the mugs, boxes, and the winners (since Wendy requested these pics).

Top view, interior of Mug 1/2:

Todd, one of the winners- who has been a collector of tiki mugs in the past. He said this mug has rekindled his interest....

Jessica, who would have come in first place, though Todd snaked her at the last second by drinking 8 (or 9?) coffee drinks in one weekend:

Thanks for lookin'.

danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-30 4:24 pm   Permalink

Those are fun photos. I loved seeing who got the mugs. You are very nice to do all that work for your customers. Wendy

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation