FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-16 09:36 am   Permalink

It's been a while since I've posted (here), but working on a few different pieces- the first is for this year's Art Swap. The theme is "Space Tiki," so my first (of possibly two) pieces is called "Some People Call Me a Space Moai." I built the cylinder out of a slab, then went to town on it. I gave the Moai pointy alien ears, then tucked two antennae around the back of its head. I'm torn (right now) between a green alien glaze, or possibly something metallic. Hmmmm.....

I had started working on another cylinder (for the above Moai mug), but it dried out too much to add any pieces to it. Instead, I started shaving pieces off and carving away.

It was slightly too dry, so accidentally popped a few holes in it. Another potter showed me how to make paper clay (using the shavings from the form, water, and toilet paper). I used it to patch the holes, hopefully it will survive the bisque fire (next week).

Speaking of which, I posted up some photos of the tiki bird feeder from L.E. Tiki a while ago, I bought that piece from her- she's not on TC yet, but wanted to show it here. She made a few more and will be selling them locally- or can ship if you might be interested. Each one is hand thrown, decorated, and glazed differently. I can put you in touch with her if you might want one for your home or yard (I posted a few more pics in the Marketplace).

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-16 4:48 pm   Permalink

Carving is as much fun as sculpting. Good job. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-17 5:06 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Wendy! It's been fun getting back to the studio so hope to get started on a few new pieces!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-21 07:49 am   Permalink

Wanted some more practice on the wheel, and was inspired by another potter in the clay studio who had thrown a bottom part of a pitcher that looked like a fez. I thought I'd try this out. First I threw two small shapes (w/ speckled buff clay- it will have some "dots" that will appear under the red glaze when it's done):

I then let these dry for a few days, then came back, trimmed a foot ring, and added an emblem and a tassel.

Now it's drying a bit more, then will carve & more detail to the added pieces.

Also got working on another handbuilt Moai mug. There's lots more to add (and trim), but here is the form so far. I'm working with different noses and seeing which one is my favorite to work with (some traditional, some not so much).

Thanks for lookin'. Feedback, as always, is welcomed.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-21 07:54 am   Permalink

Looking good. Dry those wheel mugs slowly since they are thick. I've had too many crack. In and out of a plastic bag with the bottom open helps. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-21 10:09 am   Permalink

Thanks, Wendy. Yes, the fez mugs are pretty thick- due to my (lack of) throwing skills. Taking the time to dry them out nice and sloooowwwwwwwww. In no hurry, if they come out looking nice they'll be a surprise for a local brewery owner and friend.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-21 6:02 pm   Permalink

Cool bruddah
Me like

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-27 7:28 pm   Permalink

These guys have all been bisque fired and are waiting to be glazed. The Space Art Swap piece is all the way on the right in both pics:

The two fezzes are drying out, so I carved into them a bit more. These will go to two different people, their initials are carved into the emblem on the fronts. I ended up trimming one down (threw them a little thick) and kept the other heavy.

Tassels:

I threw a scorpionesque bowl for my home bar ("The Forbidden Maya Tai"). I tried to pull up a small bowl in the center to light on fire. It was my first attempt, so not the best, but I added texture all over the piece and look forward to seeing it done. The name of the bar is spelled out around the circumference. (Not sure why the color is so different in each pic, but the clay is speckled buff, a brown clay that will show dots when its fired).

Top view:

Thanks for lookin'.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-27 9:29 pm   Permalink

Lookin good bruddah

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-29 10:53 am   Permalink

Thanks Jon!

Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-29 3:38 pm   Permalink

Cool Stuff.

You could also make a fez mug and use the tassle for a handle

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-30 07:21 am   Permalink

Badd, Goodd thinking....

Testing a few glazes for this one, and curious how the speckled buff will look under the red glaze.....

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-01 6:57 pm   Permalink

A few new hanging tiles. These are all hand built out of a black clay. Will let them firm up for a few days, then carve more into them. While now a chocolate-y brown, the clay body turns coal black when it's high/ glaze fired. Each is approximately 4" wide.

Glazed a few mugs, including:

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-03 5:50 pm   Permalink

Finished carving on this guy, he's waiting to get bisque fired. Named the "May I Moai?" (since it was made in May), hand built
:

Also went back and added details and texture to the three black clay hanging tiles:

Thanks for lookin'!

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-07 11:48 am   Permalink

Out of the kiln. First up, the Space Tiki Art Swap Mug, named "Some People Call Me a Space Moai..." (Note: Green color a bit more vibrant in person, bad camera phone quality)....

Next, the Flat-Nosed Moai (name TBD). Photos do not show the true color- I blended two glazes (Blue Rutile under Albany Slip Brown) which came out as a washed brown glaze with blue highlights. A bit more "brown" in person- and while the photos show a lot of texture, it's a high gloss, "flat" object.

Also out is the Subtractive Mini-Moai, carved out of a solid piece of clay and then hollowed out and reassembled. Around 4.5" tall. Smokey Shino exterior glaze, Textured Turquoise glazed interior.

Thanks for lookin'.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation