FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-07 12:35 pm   Permalink

Wow
Great colors.........

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-15 6:09 pm   Permalink

Got to glazing a few new pieces, including...

Two Fez Mugs- these are thrown on a wheel and custom designed as surprise gifts:

The "May I Moai?" will turn out as a light "Robin's Egg" blue:

The "Forbidden Maya Tai" Scorpion Bowl. Three different colors, including an untested glaze combo:

Now time to wait for them to get fired....

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-15 7:17 pm   Permalink

Nice Dave! Goin' balls to the walls with the untested glaze combo!!!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-15 7:56 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Mike. I admit I tend to use my pieces as test tiles- especially since I don't have my own kiln...

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-18 10:36 pm   Permalink

A few pieces out of the kiln, including: Fez 1 & 2/ 2:

The "May I Moai?" a handbuilt piece, 1/1:

From the Studio...

to the home bar:

The "Forbidden Maya Tai" Scorpion Bowl. Glazes turned out great, but the lettering is hidden unless you really look. Learned my lesson, should have put wax resist over the initial letter glazing...

Thanks for lookin'.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-22 11:41 am   Permalink

Me like
But
Now me thirsty...

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-22 12:31 pm   Permalink

Good job. I really enjoy watching your work. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-22 10:05 pm   Permalink

Jon, ha. Now I'm thirsty too-

Wendy, thanks for checking in!

A certain Tiki Tavarua made a request for another pendant for use during Tiki Oasis (or maybe we came up with the idea at the same time at the Bali Hai- there were some Zombies involved), but it seemed like a good idea. The original "SD Ohana" stamp, made of bisqued clay, cracked due to my lack of attention to detail, so I went with a (hopefully) longer lasting production solution (a rubber stamp). I drew out a design, scanned it, then added some text and sent it out to be made into a stamp. It looks like this:

Then I stamped out a few more, using corn starch so the clay wouldn't stick to the stamp too much..... (that's the white stuff). These are just under 3" tall, and pretty thin. Each one is trimmed a big different to make each one completely unique. I left a bit of room above the moai's head to figure out the best way to attach it to a cord....

Muchos mahalos for the visit!

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-24 5:56 pm   Permalink

Now I am so hungry for tiki sugar cookies. Yummm. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-29 05:53 am   Permalink

Wendy, ha ha ha! I thought the same thing, actually.

That IS what they looked like, though I prefer my cookies without corn starch.

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-09 9:56 pm   Permalink

Wasn't too happy with the first round of new SD Ohana pendants, so broke them apart and recycled the clay. Started working on a new pendant for Tiki Oasis- Beat themed. I drew this quite a while ago, even before I saw John Mulder's amazing mug for Oasis.

I threw a mini slab, and did a rough sculpt. The cigarette didn't make the cut- so to speak.

The texture on the bottom will be grass- or possibly a black turtleneck?

Tiles came out of the kiln. These are all made out of Black Clay body (actually, it's Laguna B-3 Brown, which high fires to a charcoal black), which leads to black highlights.

Close-Ups:

Muchos mahalos for the visit!

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-12 6:54 pm   Permalink

Sweet stuff bruddah

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-21 8:55 pm   Permalink

Been working on a number of tiles and assorted clay projects. Figure I'd just post 'em all at once. Started with four small (4" square) tiki tiles. First I threw a slab, then added pieces and carved away.

Then I let them dry a few days, added texture and some more carving. Now they're dry enough to bisque fire them:

I bisqure fired the Beat Moai pendant for Tiki Oasis, then used it as a press stamp to make a negative. While doing this I snapped the original (I trimmed out the back to thin it out, which made it a bit fragile, especially before glaze firing it), but made a few negative pieces (which I will use to create new pendants that will hopefully be ready in time for T.O.). Here's what it looks like:

The Volcano Scorpion Bowl: I threw this on the wheel a week or so ago. It was a new clay body for me to work with, with a lot of sand in it, so wasn't too fun to throw. You can see the sand/ texture on the clay, and it will be visible when it gets fired.

I let it dry/ set-up, then built a small cylinder by hand for the center of the bowl. There's a small platform inside of it to hold a flaming sugar cube, then I trimmed the base so it would be "open." I thought it would look cool to see your drink floating under the flaming center. I can't remember seeing that before in a scorpion bowl design- has anyone else? I carved some tapa around the sides- and added the name of the home bar: "The Forbidden Maya Tai."

I started working on some Tiki Bobs (my first time with this subject). First I made a larger hanging wall tile:

Then made some smaller Tiki Bobs as pendants- here's the whole family:

Jon/ Hang 10, you inspired me, so here are a few new coasters... Some of these may or may not be for you... (these will be trimmed a bit after they dry for a few days to "clean up" the areas for the mugs/ glasses.

And here's my attempt at making a "handy" coaster- Jon, let me know your thoughts... this was interesting to build since wet clay has to be supported as it dries so it doesn't crack. Each piece is built up and will hopefully survive and dry slow enough to be safely fired. Unfortunately, this clay body dries a little faster than I'd like, so we'll see what happens. Jon sent me a photo of a design that he saw- mine is quite a bit different.

First I started to build up a base with fingers coming out of a palm...

Then added bent fingers (separate pieces of clay), which are bent forward to look like they're clenching- ideally, around a mai tai glass. This will have to dry slowly and set up before I can touch it and trim/ carve it more.

Muchos mahaolos for the visit!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiAno 2014-07-21 20:58 ]

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-28 11:48 pm   Permalink

Wow
They are all lookin sweet
Hope the hand low ball glass coaster works out
U can do it.....

Jon

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 30 days ago; 7:30 pm   Permalink

Jon, thanks. The hand coaster is waiting to get bisque fired, along with a whole lotta other pieces. It's times like this when I realize I need my own kiln...

Started working on a gift for a friend- his son is six months old, and his folks are fans of the tiki tiles I've been making. I offered to make a hanging set of tiles, with his son's initials (which just so happen to to "RAD"). I made some child-friendly looking tiki tiles using that black clay. These will be hung in a line on a piece of bamboo or a dowel- the faces in between the letters. (The "Jorge" Hello Tiki mug I made a while back was for RAD's dad). Each tile is ~ 4" square.

The next two pieces I threw on a potters' wheel then added details. The first is a larger version of the Fez Mug:

The second is a scorpion bowl as a surprise gift for some friends- this bowl will be delivered along with the early fez mug. First I threw the bowl and let it set up for a few days, then made a diving board to go across the top of the bowl, including a base to help hold up the board. I cut straw holes at opposing angles on the board.

I supported the edges of the diving board with bits of clay, then planed down a tiny fire bowl I threw on the wheel. I hadn't thrown something that small as of yet. I shaved it down with a rasp, which left it looking like a little coconut. I shaved down the sides of the bowl to match.

Muchos mahalos for the visit.....

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation