FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 )
Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 21 days ago; 8:16 pm   Permalink

I think I do remember those now that I see them

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 9 days ago; 10:12 am   Permalink

Mike, unfortunately those Kahiki coasters aren't quite "coaster-size," unless you're using them for a champagne flute? Once I started building that one I realized that keeping the original Kahiki one to scale would make for an usually large coaster (since the mouth/ coaster center would have to be made considerably wider.

"Da Bar" Mug. I've had a few drawings in my sketchbook for a "tiki bar" mug. These are from at least a year ago, finally I got started on it. Kinny posted a pic a little while back with the same idea, which validated my moving forward with the mug. Ha.

First I threw a slab, then used a press stamp for the stone walls. (The "plain" clay slab is visible above the imprint).

I wrapped parchment paper around a form (a water bottle, since my trusty PVC cylinders somehow went missing). I scored and slipped the wall together to make it "stick."

I let it set up, then pulled the bottle and made a better seal- plus added a bottom to the mug

A few days later I trimmed off some of the stone work, then began adding pieces to the wall. Each piece will need to dry a bit more before adding more detail....

The bar itself:

A glass float

And two flaming torches.

Soon to be added: bar shelves, bottles of rum, a mug shelf, hanging masks, bar stools, and a resin chunk lamp.

I've been posting more progress shots more regularly on instagram:
http:///www.instagram.com/tikianos

Muchos mahalos for the visit!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiAno 2014-09-10 10:14 ]

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 9 days ago; 12:06 pm   Permalink

That rock texture is cool
Nice start

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 7 days ago; 08:49 am   Permalink

You've come up with so many cool ideas. That's turning out beautifully. I love the ideas. You are so good. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 5 days ago; 9:02 pm   Permalink

Thanks Jon & Wendy! It's been really hot here in San Diego, and I wasn't able to get back to the studio to work on "Da Bar" mug (EDIT: Okay, maybe not quite as HOT as near Wendy or Jon- but definitely hot for us wimps in SD)- ). Thankfully it was wrapped up tight and didn't dry up TOO much. I unwrapped it today and added some details. Carved bamboo into the front of the bar, & added rum bottles on a shelf above the bar (more details to be added after). There's also a mai tai waiting for its drinker on the bar top.

A hanging chunk resin lamp....

And more details on the flaming torches.

Got some more work done on this wheel thrown volcano bowl. Trimmed a foot ring then carved a lava line around the volcano pedestal in the center. Added texture to the sides for a coconut effect. This will be the first version of the "Flaming Coconut" bowl.

Muchos mahalos for the visit!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiAno 2014-09-15 08:25 ]

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 4 days ago; 09:16 am   Permalink

Lots of details on "Da Bar Mug" Dave, cool!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 9:49 pm   Permalink

Sweet.......

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2 days ago; 08:57 am   Permalink

Worked on some more details, and now it's time to wait for it to fully dry and then get bisque fired....

More details on the rum bottles, do you recognize any specific ones? There's also some wood grain added to the shelf that holds the booze.

Itty bitty mai tai on the top of the bar. Ice cubes were slightly easier to sculpt than crushed ice. There's (supposed to be) a long mint spring coming out of the top of the glass. The bartender was pretty nice and has one ready once you enter "Da Bar."

Some visitors wonder about the lack of tiki decor in Da Bar, but their bartender reminds them to look up. The owners decided to place some details way up on the wall. Here's (half of) a Moai mask up there... don't worry, the flames from the torches LOOK like they're about to light the mask on fire, but that's just one of those perspective things. To date there's yet to be a fire in "Da Bar."

Muchos maholos for the visit!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation