FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-23 08:36 am   Permalink

Another fun mug, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-25 2:39 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Wendy! Worked a bit at the clay studio today- unfortunately, my 2nd Art Swap piece wasn't fired (???), it's been sitting out for a few weeks and was never loaded in to the kiln. Two other mugs DID get fired, though:

Reverend Rum (of "Rum DMC" Fame): His hat is the cup's lid- there's a hole for a drinking straw. Combination of a few glazes (lime green and turquoise blue), along with a shiny black on his glasses and hat.

This orange guy arrived as well (name still TBD):

Got a little more work done on "Skully" (working title): carved a little bit, then added arms (similar to Reverend Rum's) and a big ol' mod Skull on the other side:

Added to the list will be a mug covered in skulls (in this style). Look forward to any feedback.

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Canvas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-12 3:55 pm   Permalink

RUMDMC- brilliant! He looks so encouraging. Drink more, I can feel him urging me.

View Profile of Canvas Send a personal message to Canvas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 10:19 am   Permalink

Canvas, thanks! It's true, the Reverend believes in "everything in moderation. Including moderation." This goes double for rum- or so he tells me.

A few new original sculpts bisque fired: "W-eyed Open" and "Skully McSkullster." W-eyed has some serious wood graining and a broad nose. Skully sports a few "mod" skulls (sans crossbones) and traditional clasped hands. Trying new glaze combos on these.

Would love any feedback, as always.

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-14 5:16 pm   Permalink

Some more carving today. I've been secretly working on a gift project for a surf shop owner here in SD- his shop is housed in big ol' quonset hut (if you're in SD you may know what I'm talking about. If not, I'll eventually post pics for comparison- but I don't want the owner to know this will be coming to him). Instead of a mug I'm working on an (inverted) bowl. As of now I've etched the aluminum "lines" in the walls after building the shape, added doors, and put a longboard down inside. I have another piece of clay that I plan to carve out their logo onto- I will try to summon up Wendy's carving skills.

I know, it's not quite "Tiki," per se, but it's for someone that embodies the spirit of Aloha for everyone in the surf community around here. There will be more detail carved in as it dries some more. Some rough pics:

Keeping with the spirit of bowls, I started working on another 3-legged bowl a while back. I tried forming some mid-century modern wire legs out of clay, but the thin gauge was not quite strong enough. I beefed them up and attached them to the bottom of a bowl. It looks kind of like a flying saucer, so I threw mid-century out the window and put a mod-skull (sans crossbones, of course) on the interior.

All these bowls just reinforces how badly I wanted to go to Grog's Bowl-a-rama show at the Tonga Hut. Working on the weekend doesn't help, was sorry I missed it. Look forward to any feedback, as always. Update: plan on making some molds, including Reverend Rum, in the next few weeks...

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-28 3:53 pm   Permalink

It's been a while, but Skully McSkullster & W-eyed Open are all done. Skully is a lime green (w/ a bit of texture underneath)with earth brown skull eyes. W-eyed Open is a ruddy earth brown. Fun to make these pieces, planning on trying to make molds in the next couple weeks. Any requests for specific ones to cast?

Skully is a pretty bright, chartreuse-like green- don't think the photo does the color justice.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-28 9:37 pm   Permalink

U have been busy
Lookin good

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-29 10:16 am   Permalink

It's fun that you have a definite style that is easy to recognize. Love the top hat and glasses. I am really looking forward to the bowl. That is a daring design. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-01 4:17 pm   Permalink

Jon, thanks a lot. Wendy, thanks- I think the style is lack of carving skills. No, I do enjoy building on top of forms, so that has become part of my style. So glad that you like it. A few of the pieces are very thick-walled because of this (due to using a thick die in the extruder). I assume that when I make a mold I can control the wall's thickness of the pour by the amount of casting slip used. Work's been a bit crazy, distracting me a bit from the clay studio....

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-01 6:32 pm   Permalink

Doesn't it suck when work interferes with your life! Yes, you will be able to control the thickness of slipcasts items. Love that brown glaze David, are you mixing your own glazes?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-02 3:05 pm   Permalink

Mike, thanks. I'm not mixing my own glazes from scratch, just mixing existing glazes. which has worked out pretty well. Which brown glaze did you like? (The brown skull on Skully is a Turkish Amber, the the one w/ Orange is a combo of Mayco Orange with Turkish Amber.

I've found that Amaco's Toasted Sage, kind of boring by itself, combines really well with bright colors and creates new textures. Similarly, I've had great success with using Amaco's Textured Turquoise (an absurdly high gloss, intense glaze) on top of other "mellower" glazes (it was one of the three glazes I used for that water effect in the Sinking Moai Art Swap piece.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiAno 2013-04-02 15:08 ]

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-13 2:55 pm   Permalink

Spent a little time in the studio this week hammering out some more pieces. Here are a few "in-progress" shots: The first is The Skipper, which is made to pay homage to SD surfing legend Skip Frye. The Skipper has long hair, shaggy brow, and will be aged/ textured as he dries. I know, not very traditional, but I tried to include some more traditional tiki elements.

The Tangaroan Long Distance Rummer is up next. While not 100% traditional, I used Tangaroan elements (less lines, I know, and more teeth) for the face. More details will be carved in as he dries. The "Rum?" on the back will have more texture, and the circles added will be cut out into different shapes. This one is definitely a work in progress.

The hairpin legged bowl has been bisque fired, and now I have to figure out how to glaze it. While the chubby legs are no longer mid century modern looking, a silver look might be in order. The little cracks in the skull should be covered up when glazing- it's my first crack in a bisqued piece, which was bound to happen one of these days. Any thoughts are appreciated.

While my wife isn't as attached to the ever growing world of tiki at home, Dreyfus is coming along & exploring his options:

Feedback, as always, is appreciated. Thanks!

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-17 09:31 am   Permalink

Did a little "editing" on the Skipper and the TLDR. Skip got a new mouth, light stone texturing, and some new carved lines.

Dug into the TLDR a bit more with more carving. I also did some dermatological work on the flip side of the mug, including excising the moles (that were originally be a design element, but thought it would be a little "too much"). Will carve out his teeth a little more as he dries out.

Started working in a different way on a new Moai mug. I started pushing from the interior, forming the brow and the beginnings of a nose (it will be built out more after it dries a bit). Always excited to learn new ways to work- Also working on a larger version of this same piece (in the same way) on a pretty big cylinder that the owner of the clay studio I work threw on the wheel (it's the brown clay form on the bat on the table in the last photo). I admit I'm more of a hand builder, so excited to where this piece will be going (right now, I admit, it's not too hotsy totsy).
Pushing outwards:

With mouth and traditional Moai ears:

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-18 08:54 am   Permalink

When I see your work I smile. It's such fun to see you continue to come up with new ideas. Push outs, terrific. I have covered some cracks with paperclay or with Magic Mend. I let them dry, sanded and glazed over them and fired. Sometimes it works. Once I kept filling the crack with underglaze until the crack didn't show. I overfilled it. Then sanded. Then I put clear glaze on top and fired. It still showed a bit but it was stable. Good luck and keep up the great work, Wendy

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-18 09:03 am   Permalink

Man U r busy
Lookin good
Keep it up
Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation