FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-19 11:46 pm   Permalink

Wendy, thanks for the continued support, makes me smile to read what you write. It's the first time I've had a crack in a bisque fired piece. It's pretty small, I think it will be hidden by glaze, if not, it might look kind of cool (and perhaps intentional???)

The push-out was an experiment, I was gifted that thrown cylinder, and it was a whole lot wetter (less dry?) than the slabs I'm usually working with, so it was fun to mess with the clay. I'm trying to convince a super talented young guy at the studio to learn about tiki. At first he was completely confused by my stuff, now he's asking questions about it. Heh heh heh.

Jon, thanks! By the time Oasis rolls around I'll have a pile of mugs and I'll walk around like Santa w/ mugs for all of my (TC) friends!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-22 5:28 pm   Permalink

Mo Moai progress. While these two pieces look similar, the reddish clay one is actually around 10" high, quite a bit taller. I worked on the smaller one first, building a traditional Moai sniffer, as well as carving out his mouth (though admittedly it is kind of Simpsons-esque. The new additions are drying us, hopefully can fire this soon.

The red Moai (which should fire white, w/ a bit of speckling from grog (no, not you, Grog) took a bit longer, Instead of attaching slab rolled forms for the ears and mouth, I added small pieces of clay (a la Wendy) and built out each form. His mouth definitely has the look/feel of a traditional Moai- but will need to be trimmed up a bit more.

Now I just need to get some time to glaze these guys:

Thanks for the support, look forward to any/all feedback.

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-22 7:28 pm   Permalink

I'm liking your work, especially this Moai. I think he's going to be fantanstic! Keep having fun.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-24 8:40 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Lori!

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-24 9:45 pm   Permalink

You Moai is really tiki but I have to ask has he been lying? Wendy

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2013-04-24 21:46 ]

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-25 9:56 pm   Permalink

Wendy, ha ha ha! I'd like to say it's the angle of the photo that makes him look Pinocchio-ish. Maybe?

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-25 9:57 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TikiAno 2013-04-30 22:03 ]

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-25 9:57 pm   Permalink

Wendy, ha ha ha! I'd like to say it's the angle of the photo that makes him look Pinocchio-ish. Maybe?

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-26 08:42 am   Permalink

OH NO you have caught the GROG virus. I hope I haven't caught it too. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-30 10:03 pm   Permalink

Uh oh. I just noticed this. This is the first time it's happened. Maybe I need to go see a doctor....

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-01 06:02 am   Permalink

That's a big enough group of fired tikis that you will learn what marathon glazing is like. It is so worth it when the kiln opens and all the colors show. Making sure the piece is slightly damp before glazing helps make it stick. Also dust free. I'm looking forward to seeing the end result. Good job, Wendy

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-02 5:55 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Wendy! Yes, I always sponge them down to get any dust off. I used to love glazing, though today (for some reason) I only got through two pieces in a couple of hours (multiple colors, multiple coats, wiping off layers, etc). Still have a few to finish up, hopefully next week. Things would be easier w/ a kiln at home and glazing at night. Thanks for all the support!

LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-06 6:14 pm   Permalink

Can't wait to see your pieces glazed.

I still haven't glazed my last one. Slacker!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-07 1:53 pm   Permalink

Lori, I think it will take a while to see mine glazed. The kiln at the studio where I work has been reserved out for weeks! Thankfully, it gives me more time to glaze these things. I started working on a (non-tiki) piece inspired by one I saw in Palm Springs a few weeks ago, kind of a mid-century stoneware (small) sculpture. As I worked on it, I realized I should probably stick with what I know- and love: Tiki. Ha!

That being said, you should start glazing yours!

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-17 09:03 am   Permalink

All of my greenware pieces have now been bisque fired, now looking at rows of pieces to glaze (and figure out how to glaze). The tall Moai got a little crack when fired but will fix him up with glaze. He's a pretty big guy. Beyond the heads I have another shelf before with the Surf Shed Bowl, the Hair Pin Leg Bowl, and this large semi-abstract piece I'm working on. Yowzers. Hopefully can glaze next week. Sorry haven't posted much, work has gotten in the way a bit. Hope everyone at Caliente has a great time- stay cool out there!

Any feedback, as always, is appreciated!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation