FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-18 10:57 am   Permalink

You are going to have enough tiki ware of your own for a party. I'm looking forward to your glazing of each one. Enjoy, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-23 4:36 pm   Permalink

Wendy, ha! Well, there are some good ones and some not so good ones. Sometimes they look better in my head than they do in reality. I keep trying to get to glazing that pile of mugs, work keeps getting in the way. Hoping to glaze them all early next week to show the final versions....

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-29 09:07 am   Permalink

I just read on my thread that you have glazed your mugs. I'm excited to see the color you choose. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-29 12:27 pm   Permalink

Wendy,

Thanks- I went all out, including some untested glaze combinations- including using Amaco Palladium, which I'm very excited about- I'm hoping the palladium-heavy piece gets loaded in the "right" place in the kiln- I've been told that it needs to be on the center shelf for the best "metallic" look. Hopefully all of the pieces will make it into a firing this week (or early next week)? It's times like this when having one's own kiln would be a LOT better.

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-29 6:15 pm   Permalink

Looking Good!

Cant wait to see these glazed!

View Profile of mp Send a personal message to mp  Email mp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-30 10:31 am   Permalink

Thanks, mp! I admit, I'm curious how a few of the new glaze combos turned out....

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-03 4:05 pm   Permalink

A few pieces came out of the kiln & more went in today. Here are the first four pieces.

Group shots:

(the whole line-up was turned around, so the left-right order switches).

Close-ups ("The Skipper" & "The Lying Moai")- big thanks to Wendy for noting the extra-lengthy nose- ):

Close-ups ("Skullbound" & "The Tangaroan Long Distance Rummer"):

Interior:

Would love any feedback, as always- hope to post photos of the new bowls (and bigger Moai) tomorrow.

LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-04 11:20 am   Permalink

I really like the blue glaze on the RUM? mug!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-04 7:45 pm   Permalink

It sure is fun to watch you work and glaze. The Lying Moai, love that. You did well with your lime green. I've used it once and it all popped off. I hope you do the bowl soon. Keep experimenting so I don't have too. Good job, Wendy

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-04 8:27 pm   Permalink

Lori, thanks a lot!

A few more came out of the kiln today. First, a group shot:

Here's the taller Moai, compared next to yesterday's. A bit taller, w/ a different glaze. Front view:

Back view: He fell into the glaze bucket (Turkish Amber), & stayed in the bath a bit too long- thus the heavy (and somewhat uneven coating)

Here's one view of the Palladium-glazed Wire Pin Skully Bowl. I'm pretty stoked w/ how the palladium glaze turned out (shiny silver metallic glaze), even after I glazed it on a bit thick and had to pay penance by cleaning the kiln wash off the shelf- not fun, but necessary. I look forward to using this glaze both by itself and in combination w/ other glazes- there are some great combos for glaze geeks (like myself).

Inner view- though in person the blue is a bit richer looking:

Another angle.

Bottom view, w/ the "Tiki Ano" stamp:

Here's the first view of the Bird's Surf Shed Bowl.

And the interior, with a surfboard inside:

If you've never visited the Shed, it's a great San Diego surf shop, filled with hundreds (if not more) surfboards, housed in an old Quonset Hut (not too far from Tiki Oasis). More info at:
http://www.birdssurfshed.com
Here's a photo (you can scroll up to compare the real thing to my version of it):

Thanks for looking!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiAno 2013-06-04 20:35 ]

danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-05 6:29 pm   Permalink

I like that blue glaze. The photo with so many showing at once is really fun to see. I hope you are keeping good track of your experiments and glazes used. What's next? Wendy

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-06 1:30 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the support! Wendy, apparently I missed a comment you made earlier- the lime green is Mayco Green Opal. We received a number of sample bottles in the studio, let me see if there are still a few left (I might be the only one using it).

The blue glaze (on the bowl piece?) is Amaco Indigo Float on top of Palladium. The blue on the Rum? mug is Textured Turquoise (Amaco) on top of Amaco Toasted Sage. I've been messing w/ lots of (untested) glaze combinations- I really need to do a huge round of test tiles. Unfortunately, even tried and true glaze combinations sometimes come out different- especially in the Surf Shed bowl, which was supposed to have a blue-green interior, though it turned pretty green and murky.

I just posted this in the Art Swap thread, but started working on a new bowl piece. Haven't thrown anything in a bit, but decided to have a go at it again:

Oh, and next will be one (or two) Art Swap pieces, as well as a larger bowl that I threw that I'm thinking of making into an oversized scorpion bowl (a larger version of the bowl that's pictured above, w/ the same clay body). And then.... making a mold or two!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiAno 2013-06-06 14:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiAno 2013-06-06 14:02 ]

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-20 11:07 am   Permalink

Along with the mugs, I was working on a ceramic piece inspired by a small sculpture I found in Palm Springs when I went out there for a wedding (unfortunately not for Caliente). While not tiki per se, it has elements that will be used in some future tiki-themed stuff. It's kind of a midcentury stoneware water buffalo.

Top view (finger there to show scale):

Rear view (w/ mug collection behind (Wendy, your Bob is out of focus, but to the upper left):

Tried to keep it w/simple lines. I like the unglazed + glazed combo, this style will be used in the Cannibal Art Swap bowl I'm working on, too (photos on that thread).

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-24 3:40 pm   Permalink

New Moai started, Method 2.0. I've been having fun throwing but realized it would be near impossible to start the next Moai with a thin cylinder- I needed a little more "meat" to work with. I'm building it via addition (of clay). I started w/ a pieve of wide PVC wrapped in newspaper, rolled a slab around it, then added more clay to build out his brow and features. AFter a bit of work it looked like:

Neatened up a few things while letting him firm up a bit. Knocked the PVC pipe on the table, and the head slid off. Got slightly twisted but look forward to working on it some more, adding more details and lots of trimming/ carving. And perhaps a few surprises or two.

lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-24 3:49 pm   Permalink

I like that bowl with the silver legs. Very cool! Must have found some good glaze for that one.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation