FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-24 5:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-24 15:40, TikiAno wrote:
I started w/ a pieve of wide PVC wrapped in newspaper, rolled a slab around it, then added more clay to build out his brow and features.

My hand-built mug method of choice! I do this for any cylinder larger than 4" in diameter. For anything less, I can usually get away with just rolling the clay without a support form. Loving your mugs!

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-24 8:48 pm   Permalink

Lookin good
U r on fire

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-26 09:33 am   Permalink

luna, thanks- the silver glaze worked out. Not food safe, so unfortunately not for any mugs.

Henrik, thanks so much! I like this method as well- though I keep trying different ones! (why???)

Jon, thanks!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-22 7:32 pm   Permalink

More progress on a Moai getting carved up today- I'll call him (for now) "Off-Kilter Moai." Shaved off a good amount of clay/ weight, evening up and balancing out his facial features and thinning out the mug (in all the right places). He's leaning a bit to the left (his left, that is)- not unlike a dog who's giving you that "what are you talking about?" look- a little angle to the nod. He's a bit larger than some of the last Moai work I've done- the last photo gives a bottle for height comparison:

He has a bit of stone-texturing going on, look forward to glazing this guy.

I also finished up the latest Art Swap Anthropologist Soup Bowl (Cannibal themed for the Swap)- there's lots of photos on that thread- here are a few details from the final piece (sorry for the re-post of some of these):

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-29 3:19 pm   Permalink

Decided to work on a few new 'Stachetiki tiles, this time w/ that black clay. Made two slightly different from one another. They're trimmed up and will hopefully get bisque fired later this week. I know, mustaches may not be the most traditional design feature, my apologies.... Thinking about glazing the entire facade except for the mustache, which would leave it a flat black color... though not sure yet.

Also trimmed more of the leaning Moai. His face is slightly scrunched up, and leaning not unlike a dog who's trying to understand what you're saying (w/ its head cocked to one side). I get this look a lot from both of my dogs.

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-07-29 4:55 pm   Permalink

If he's still wet enough, bump his bottom down (GENTLY!!) on the table on the side that's too high up, so that it flattens that side more so that he's more straight up. And when he dries, you can sand some off the bottom to make him stand straighter. Or you can always add some clay to the low side.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-07-29 4:55 pm   Permalink

Damned double post.

[ This Message was edited by: grog 2013-07-29 17:43 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-29 5:15 pm   Permalink

I like him, he's got personality. Though he looks a bit thirsty, gonna have to hurry and fill him up

That's a great bowl too. I dragged my feet so I think I'm gonna miss the swap so I guess some other lucky taffer will end up with it.

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-29 5:32 pm   Permalink

Good job on the Moai design. It's fun watching you work, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-29 5:38 pm   Permalink

I really like your moai!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-30 08:32 am   Permalink

Grog, the Moai's pretty dry. The photo was taken at a bit of an angle, it's not really as skewed as it looks (in the photo). I am happy with the progress of shaping/ carving a Moai's face, though, each one seems to evolving (no, that's not a dig at cavepeople, Grog).

Badd, thanks a lot. I've been enjoying your posts, your clay work is out of control. Gorgeous stuff. The cigar store indian and the pineapple vase on your Deviant art page are killer (too).

Wendy, thanks (once again). I'm hoping it's improving. The wheel has slightly distracted me recently, need to get back into carving and hand building. New project is planned, a bit different but definitely tiki.

Lori, thanks so much!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiAno 2013-07-30 08:36 ]

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-30 08:52 am   Permalink

Dig the leaning MOAI (reminds me of Grog)
Great stuff brother
Keep it up

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-31 11:44 am   Permalink

Jon/ Hang10, ha! Thanks very much. I try to keep moving forward, hoping things are looking better....

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-01 4:42 pm   Permalink

I know, Water Buffalo no.2 isn't quite tiki, but there's a very shrunken head drying out next to him. This will be one of a few little items for friends at Tiki Oasis....

This form-making style (thin slab rolled around rectangular foam) will be used for some other more tiki-oriented projects, including a few new square mugs.

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-09 9:39 pm   Permalink

A few things came out of the kiln today- I have to wait til daytime to get a better shot of the leaning Moai. I really like how the glaze job turned out on the latest Stachetiki tlie (all six layers of glaze):

(Very abstract) shrunken heads:

Finished "Anthropologist Stew" Bowl for the Cannibal Art Swap:

The primitive "What's for dinner?" cracked hanging wall tile, also for Art Swap:

I have another 'Stachetiki to glaze, was waiting to see how the first one turned out w/ the excessive glaze layers (which is necessary for this black clay). Feedback always appreciated. Thanks for lookin'.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation