FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 )
Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-10-27 10:01 am   Permalink

Wow, you're really getting creative, particularly on those bowls!

I like the simplicity of the moai platter. I think you just came up with a new classic there.

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-11-03 09:55 am   Permalink

Cheers, Philot. I've been going in a few different directions at once. I'm enjoying the weird-o bowls (though not traditionally "tiki," but it's been fun telling stories with each piece (or at least thinking of them). I just glazed the simple Moai Platter (white base with stone glazed moai), this will be the first one. So glad you like the idea, hopefully others agree with you. It's definitely more "modern" looking. Eric October has been a few platters, too (I have a beautiful one- with a tiki carved into it).

Went back to working on some mugs. I use a clay extruder to form cylinders, then add bottoms and other doo-dads. The shorter one has some wood grain carved into it, the taller one is fairly smooth, glaze tbd. These are drying out a bit more and will be sent into the fiery kiln soon(ish):

Next I spent a few hours glazing this bowl. It will have a flaming aka fiery looking interior (if the kiln gods smile upon it), with wooden bridges over the top (I know, who builds a wooden bridge over a volcano? Not the smartest engineers, but what can you do?)

There are some flames pouring over the sides, as well as some cube forms coming out of the sides of the ancient structure.

More "Tiki Tiles" out of the kiln. Made out of Laguna B-3 Brown Clay (fires to a lava-esque black when it vitirifies/ midfires). Fun to work with, though it's a bit finicky with glazes (at least on wheel thrown pieces):

Mahalo for the looksie!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiAno 2016-11-03 09:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiAno 2016-11-03 10:49 ]

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-11-03 10:20 am   Permalink

The Kraken bowl is so much fun. Your son must have allowed you some free time. Seeing you post here again is a thrill. Never stop. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-11-04 10:27 pm   Permalink

The Tiki Bob platter came out of the kiln. It's around 12" long, with curved/ raised sides. I used a slump mold to make the form- unfortunately the bottom is not quite as "flat" as I had liked- it bubbled a bit in the kiln, as the center of the platter was not supported (has just four feet)- lesson learned- though it looks good from this angle, aside from the bit of glaze running.

Here's a few examples of "Team 6" pendants I made (as a joke) for the San Diego Ohana. The short story is that we were invited to the pre-opening of "False Idol," a new tiki bar in town. We had two sets of invitations. The first group (starting at 6 PM) had to leave pretty quickly, as there was a bit of a fire with one of the "effects" in the bar. Everyone was cleared out, and a self-proclaimed "Team 6" was formed. (I was on "Team 8:30," which was allowed to hang out and enjoy the bar).

I experimented with a lava-esque glaze combination on the one on the left, and to the right I went for a "bloody lava rock" look- the black is the color of the clay itself, without any glaze.

Mahalo!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 25 days ago; 10:02 am   Permalink

Glazed a few pieces, waiting on da kiln to get turned on (think the plan is to fire this weekend), so I'm finishing up more pieces to be ready by then.

The Kraken Bowl has been glazed. I took a few chances, and really hoping the glaze choices work out- ya never know. First I used a lot of black underglaze...

Then wiped it off, leaving the glaze to reveal details (hopefully, under the next coats of glaze). This is what it looks like now.

(this is a full color picture- the glazes will change when it's fired to cone 6- think a blue and murky black water with white seafoam bubbles, and dark reddish octopus whipping its tentacles about. Or, that's what I'M hoping for....

Mahalo for looking!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiAno 2016-11-15 21:22 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 25 days ago; 4:40 pm   Permalink

You've been busy TikiAno! That Kraken bowl looks very promising.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 25 days ago; 9:33 pm   Permalink

Great idea

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 23 days ago; 4:33 pm   Permalink

Diggin' the tiki tiles Ano.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 9 days ago; 3:42 pm   Permalink

Glaze firing revealed a few new pieces... I have video of the two drinking bowls, but have to take some stills too.

The Wood grain and not so wood grain Moais...

Moai Serving Dish:

and a few guys ready for some more drying, some more drying, and some bisque firing...

Mahalo for the visit!

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 9 days ago; 4:45 pm   Permalink

You've been really busy making a lot of fun things. I'm so glad you found the time to share them. The Moai serving tray is super. When are you going to make a mug with Tiki Ari on it?

We are enjoying your hot chocolate. Hugs, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 9 days ago; 7:32 pm   Permalink

Fun stuff! I really like the moai serving dish. And the curved-eyebrowed mug guy catches my eye.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation