Joined: Aug 07, 2012
From: San Diego, CA
|Posted: 2014-03-12 1:27 pm  Permalink|
A little more progress on a new Moai mug. Instead of starting w/ a circular form, I went a la the Mad Dog Mike (and other potters') method of subtractive work from a chunk of clay. I had trimmed a bit away, but wasn't quite happy w/ its current look:
Not Moai-y enough, so I added clay to improve the features. The top will have a rim/ brim. While I had no intention of it looking like Bamboo Ben's mug from Tiki Farm, it's somewhat similar- maybe it's just its chin. More work will certainly differentiate it. So far:
It will dry out a bit more, then will carve out its ears and more. Next up will be cutting the solid mass in half and hollowing it out, then reattaching it.
Still waiting for the two "Latte Log" Tiki Mugs to be bisque fired- hopefully this week. Here they are, waiting...
Thanks for lookin'.