FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Why do we classify mugs from Chinese restaurants as Tiki?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Why do we classify mugs from Chinese restaurants as Tiki?
Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-16 5:58 pm   Permalink

First, I have my fair share of mugs and vessels from a range of Chinese restaurants in my collection. However, I keep them collected together in their own section of my Tiki Lounge. I appreciate them and enjoy them. But I have often wondered why we consider them (or do we?) as Tiki?

I understand the ones that cross over and are used in Tiki establishments, such as the Fu Manchu (in its various incarnations), but what about the rest?

Do you consider them Tiki? If so, what is your reasoning? If not, do you collect them still like I do?

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-16 7:20 pm   Permalink

OK, for one, none of those mugs from Benihana.

I mean, yeah, Buddha’s cool, and who can say no to Maneki-neko. But they're still just not tiki in any way, shape or form.

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-16 10:46 pm   Permalink

Well chances are the places had Tiki Décor and the drinks were Tropical
in nature, so I would say "Tiki"

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-17 09:17 am   Permalink

Yeah I gotta go with that. Not all mugs from Chines/Asian restaurants are Tiki. However, I do know that a lot of tiki mug collectors also have at least a few Benihana Buddha mugs in their collection as well.

In the 50's and 60's many Chinese restaurants were cashing in on the Tiki craze by offering drinks in tiki mugs (that patrons could take home). Even today, some of the older Chinese restaurants offer "tiki drinks" in tiki-ish mugs.

The Hong Kong Inn, in Ventura (which just recently closed) offered many drinks in tiki mugs and volcano bowls (on fire), ceramic clam shells, even hallowed out pineapples. There is also an old school Chinese restaurant in San Diego that I have yet to go to, but I'm told it also has drinks in tiki mugs.

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-12-17 09:34 am   Permalink

Since Tiki restaurants we're mainly serving Cantonese food, I think there was a sense of "Since they're serving our food, we'll serve their drinks." Exotic being exotic to the average schmo it probably didn't matter that much. However was the Dr. Funk or any of his aliases sold in the Dr. Funk or Fu Manchu mug at any of the major Tiki Restaurants?

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-17 11:02 am   Permalink

I just wrote a whole spiel on how since the birth of Poly pop Don and Vic offered mainly Chinese food cooked by Chinese Chefs, and how with the mid-century wave of Tiki temples, Chinese cooks, servers and bartenders rose up in the ranks, only to then by the mid-60s (the waning of the trend) take over the business when the original owners wanted to retire. Or they had saved enough money to open their own restaurant, and that, most of all, as Boris mentioned, for originally Chinese restaurants the switch to "Polynesian" was an easy one...

Well, perhaps as an omen that I should not post his, the whole damn page just froze on me! But I don't care, I am not superstitious, so now you are merely getting a truncated version of the first part of my response, and the salvaged second part which I managed to save, below:

P.S.: Of course, there are exceptions to what I am saying above, like Lee's Islander, and some of Hop Luey's places, but they do not contradict the general historic facts.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-12-17 11:09 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-17 12:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-12-17 09:34, Bora Boris wrote:
However was the Dr. Funk or any of his aliases sold in the Dr. Funk or Fu Manchu mug at any of the major Tiki Restaurants?

Boris,

Dr. Sam Tee at the Hawaiian Village, Tampa, for one.

Quote:

On 2012-12-17 11:02, bigbrotiki wrote:
P.S.: Of course, there are exceptions to what I am saying above, like Lee's Islander, and some of Hop Luey's places, but they do not contradict the general historic facts.

Bibgbro,

I agree with most of your thoughts, although there were few more great exceptions, the Luau Hut being a favorite!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-12-17 1:36 pm   Permalink

I think I misunderstood the question (Although I love this thread) The argument about mugs if it's clearly not a Tiki or has a Tiki connection like a Panda Bear or a Benihana mug has been discussed before but I will now call that the Piggy Bank Syndrome, if it's a coin bank shaped like a pig sure it's a piggy bank but if it's shaped like an elephant it will still be called a piggy bank*. So if it's a mug for cocktails shaped like a Tiki or a mug shaped like a Ninja or Joe Strummer, it'll be described by some as a Tiki mug. I can live with that, it gets even blurrier though when you bring the Trader Vic's Hawaiian mugs into the picture like the jeans mug but I still like em.

*Hopefully there are piggy bank collectors out there that are driven nuts when this happens.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-17 2:12 pm   Permalink

Great...now I want a tiki mug shaped like an elephant piggy bank.

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-17 3:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-12-17 13:36, Bora Boris wrote:
So if it's a mug for cocktails shaped like a Tiki or a mug shaped like a Ninja or Joe Strummer, it'll be described by some as a Tiki mug. I can live with that...

I can't

How about "Ninja Mug" and "Joe Strummer Mug" instead? Most of the time, the "Tiki" description used by the above "some" has not evolved out of any conscious knowledge of the characteristics of the Tiki genre, but from internalizing too many of the false claims wielded around liberally by collector-preying e-bay sellers

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-12-17 16:03 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-12-17 4:02 pm   Permalink

Yes!

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-17 4:47 pm   Permalink

Ditto....

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-18 12:13 am   Permalink

I had such a blast on John-o's Hong Kong Inn bus trip that I had to get up there and snag some memorabilia when I heard that they were closing. I bought a couple of dbl old fashions and Hi-balls that had a chinese motif. Not tiki. Also picked up a "scorpion bowl" ( heavy brown glaze-3 tiki figures holding up the bowl) Technically tiki I guess but I don't consider it as tiki as for example, the Goof or Mr. Bali Hai mugs that I bought at the Bali Hai in San Diego. However, the bowl was signed by both Jimmy and Tommy Kwan and I'll treasure it as a memento that will remind me of the great time I had with my fellow Tikiphiles on the ride up to and at the HKI. Wish I could remember where I posted the pic of that bowl.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-18 12:37 am   Permalink

I believe this is your bowl.

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-18 01:28 am   Permalink

Thanks Coolman!

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation