Joined: Mar 07, 2008
|Posted: 2012-12-20 08:01 am  Permalink|
Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: December 19, 2012
This week we continued our celebration of the Christmas holiday season in true Tikiphile style. Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived. Some fans choose to record it on their computers to listen to later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9
1) “Once a Year Miracle,” the Duncan Lamont song sung by Blossom Dearie on her CD: Christmas Spice So Very Nice, featuring her Musical Director Mike Renzi on Piano with Jay Leonhart on Bass; Jay Berliner on Guitar and Grady Tate on Drums.
2) “Winter Wonderland,” The 1934 song by Felix Bernard & Richard B. Smith, recorded in 1953 by Chet Baker on Trumpet with Russ Freeman on Piano, Joe Mondragon on String Bass and Shelley Manne on Drums, taken from the antic anthology: Yule Struttin’ – A Blue Note Christmas.
3) “Cool Yule,” the Steve Allen composition performed by Dan Hicks & the Hot Licks on their recording: Crazy for Christmas, featuring Gonzalo Bergara on Guitar and Malibu Slim on Violin.
4) “Jingle Bells (Cha Cha),” composed by James Lord Pierpont in 1850 as an Autumn sleigh riding song, by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy from their seasonal CD: Everything You Want for Christmas, with Andy Rowley on Baritone Sax, Karl Hunter on Flute, Ronny Manaog & Lenny Castro on Percussion, and Kurt Sodergren on Drums.
5) The 1949 song, “Ya Gotta Buy, Buy, Buy for Baby,” taken from the copacetic collection: Songs by Kay Starr.
6) The 1940 Irving Berlin classic “White Christmas” recorded in 1962 by Lionel Hampton from the copious compilation: Wonderland Yulesville.
7) “Santa Baby” by Pink Martini from their album: Joy to the World, featuring China Forbes on Vocal, Thomas Lauderdale on Piano and Dan Fahnele on Electric Guitar.
8) “Mele Kalikimaka,” the Robert Alex Anderson classic sung by Kelly Covington on the anthology: Moonbows for Christmas.
9) “Feliz Navidad,” the Jose Feliciano hit performed here by Pete Escovedo from the collection: Latin Jazz Christmas, featuring Mr. Escovedo on Timbales and his daughter Sheila E. on backing vocal, with Murray Low on Electric Piano and Ray Obiedo on Electric Guitar.
10) “Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer,” Billy May’s 1953 version of the 1949 song composed by Johnny Marks taken from the anthology: Ultra Lounge: Christmas Cocktails 1.
11) “Thirty-Two Feet and Eight Little Tails” by King Kukulele and the Friki Tikis from their CD: Luau in December, with King Kukulele (Denny Monaghan) on Vocals and Bora Bora Bonebrake (DJ Bonebrake) on Vibes.
12) “The Only Law That Santa Claus Understood” by Ted Lyons from the 1986 album: The dbs & Friends -- Christmas Time Again (Santa as a western gunfighter).
13) “We Wanna See Santa Do the Mambo” by Big John Greer from the anthemic anthology: Hipsters’ Holiday.
14) “Rabbe Elimelech” by George Winston from the Kosher collection: A Chanukah Feast. No, not the world-famous pianist who founded Dancing Cat Records to record Hawaiian slack key guitar masters – this is a solo harmonica player with the same name.
15) “I Wonder as I Wander” performed by the Hot Club of San Francisco from the compilation: The Hot Club Cool Yule, featuring Evan “Zeppo” Price on Violin, Paul “Pazzo” Mehling on Guitar and Clint Baker on Bass.
16) “Angels We Have Heard on High” by the Brian Setzer Orchestra from their album: Christmas Comes Alive!