FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Dick Moano´s "Introducing original Polynesian tropical bar recipes ... mai tai, navy grog 1963
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Dick Moano´s "Introducing original Polynesian tropical bar recipes ... mai tai, navy grog 1963
bochi

Posted: 2012-12-21 04:01 am   Permalink

Hello,

does anyone own the book "Introducing original Polynesian tropical bar recipes ... mai tai, navy grog ... and many more" from Dick Moano (Aku-Aku) or does someone have a digital copy of it?

I can´t find anything about this book in the internet and i think it would be very interesting. Was there a mention of the mai tai recipe before 1963? Trader Vic published his first recipe of the mai tai in the 70s. did´t he?

Cheers from
Münster / Germany
Bochi

View Profile of bochi Send a personal message to bochi  Email bochi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-21 05:02 am   Permalink

Welcome Bochi!
Do some searching around the forums, you'll find a wealth of information.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=20200&forum=10 is a great thread on the components of the mai tai, for example.

As far as the Mai Tai goes, there's a long-standing debate, which was settled by a lawsuit in 1970, that Trader Vic invented the Mai Tai. Don the Beachcomber claimed to have invented it in 1933, but if you check out the link below, you'll find a good history of it, as well as more information.

http://temperedspirits.com/2012/07/13/the-mai-tai/

Sadly, I don't have the book that you mention, but hope that some of this information has helped!

Also, check out all of the Beachbum Berry books, browse through our forums, get yourself an orgeat recipe, and welcome to tiki!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bochi

Posted: 2012-12-21 06:03 am   Permalink

Hi thanks a lot,

i wasn´t searching for infos about the mai tai. i am searching infos about the book and wanted to know if there were more prviously published recipes. the first published recipe i know is from the 70s and i wondered if there were some recipes published before.

i contacted jeff and he said that there were some books that published a mai tai recipe before trader vic did but this were only guesses. he also had this book in his hand a longer time ago and published a few recipes in his intoxica book.

so if anyone knows someone who owns this book i am interested in a digital copy or some photos becaue i think it´s an interesting booklet.

Cheers
Bochi

View Profile of bochi Send a personal message to bochi  Email bochi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-21 06:51 am   Permalink

Sorry, I think something got lost in translation, or perhaps I'm missing something.

Surely Vic published a Mai Tai recipe before 1970. Anyone care to jump in on this? All my cocktail books are in storage, except for Okole Maluna, which I'll consult when I get home.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-21 06:58 am   Permalink

Good luck finding the book. I'll be sure to post it if I can find one.
I recently scanned in a bunch of old cocktail books for posterity's sake, and that us one I do not have.

Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-21 07:39 am   Permalink

I found the listing on Amazon - but it's out of stock: http://www.amazon.com/Introducing-original-Polynesian-tropical-recipes/dp/B0007K3IRU looks intriguing

-Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-21 7:53 pm   Permalink

I'd also be interested in learning if he published it before 1972. Of course Trader Vic created the Mai Tai in 1944 but I don't know of any instances where he published the recipe before his 1972 "Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide". It is not in the 1947 "Bartender's Guide by Trader Vic". I also have the 1968 "Trader Vic's Pacific Island Cookbook" and while it has a few recipes for some of his exotic cocktails the Mai Tai is not one of them. They were selling the Mai Tai mix prior to publishing the recipe from basic ingredients in 1972.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Bad Beau
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-02-23 2:18 pm   Permalink

Just stumbled across this site and wanted to let those interested know that Wally Turnbow is my Dad (he passed away in 2005) and that I have a case of his and Dick's Bar Guides Brand New from 1963 direct from the publisher. My Dad was the Manager of the Islands Restaurant located in Phoenix, Arizona at the time that he and Dick Moano published this booklet. Anyway, not sure what I may want to do with the books. I did see on e-Bay that one recently sold for $88 that was signed by my Dad. Anyway, I will check back and see if any of you want my contact info. I would be glad to share any of the information in the book with you.

[ This Message was edited by: Big Bad Beau 2014-02-27 21:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Big Bad Beau 2014-02-27 21:04 ]

View Profile of Big Bad Beau Send a personal message to Big Bad Beau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KrakenHunterSteve
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-24 8:31 pm   Permalink

I would be interested in that book.

View Profile of KrakenHunterSteve Send a personal message to KrakenHunterSteve  Email KrakenHunterSteve     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Semyon

Posted: 2014-02-25 12:10 am   Permalink

Hi Big Bad Beau,
these are really great news! I would be interested in a copy, too! So if you are willing to sell one or another, please let me/us know

Best wishes
Semyon

View Profile of Semyon Send a personal message to Semyon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-25 08:40 am   Permalink

Also interested in a copy of the book. If the Aku Aku Zombie recipe from Remixed is any indication of the overall quality of the rest of the recipes this would be a great addition to the Tiki drink library.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I-Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-25 09:22 am   Permalink

Count me in as well please.

View Profile of I-Tiki Send a personal message to I-Tiki  Email I-Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Bad Beau
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-02-25 1:29 pm   Permalink

I appreciate all the interest being generated and the interest of some in purchasing the booklet. My Dad and Dick Moana made thousands of friends over the decades, and I do know that their Polynesian Recipe book was at one time the Holy Grail for the Original Recipes of many of the most popular and famous Polynesian and Exotic Drinks. I know he would be happy that this 31 page booklet full of Dozens of the Best of the Best in Polynesian Mixology still garners interest from so many people. Of the box that was left to me by my Dad, there are probably around Eighty or so books. I want to save around half of them to sell on e-Bay and keep 10 or so to myself to give to my kids and grandkids.
Anyway, all that being said, as it was just a fluke that I ran across this site and it just so happens to be full of Dads FAVORITE kind of people, I will offer a portion of the booklets to those that are interested for the same price as one of the members has already paid - $20.00 which will include shipping within the USA including Hawaii of course. If out of the country, let me know and you can pay whatever the actual shipping cost is.
You can send the payment for 1 or up to 2 books via PayPal. Send to User Name -
atozsales@aol.com
I will check it daily and send out ASAP (which reminds me - I am heading to the Post Office here shortly to send out to my first Tiki "connoisseur".
If you don't have PayPal, send me a Personal Message and I will give you my mailing address so you can send me a check.
Any question you might have, feel free to get in touch. By the way, I have been a verified PayPal member since 1999. Hope all this didn't bore all of you too badly - now I will attempt to post a few scans I did earlier today of the booklet. Pages are crystal clear, but scanner caused some shadowing effect.

[ This Message was edited by: big bad beau 2014-02-27 07:53 ]

View Profile of Big Bad Beau Send a personal message to Big Bad Beau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-27 08:23 am   Permalink

Sent you a PM Beau. Thanks!

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2014-02-27 09:08 am   Permalink

Great find BBB! You certainly came to the right place. Can you tell us anything about your dad? Any memories of visiting some of the establishments he worked with?

BTW, PayPal payment sent.

Cheers! and Looking forward!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation