FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Dick Moano´s "Introducing original Polynesian tropical bar recipes ... mai tai, navy grog 1963
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Dick Moano´s "Introducing original Polynesian tropical bar recipes ... mai tai, navy grog 1963
Big Bad Beau
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-03-08 5:09 pm   Permalink

Howlin

There are things Worse than Death By Wife! Torture by Wife {or any Gender Significant Other) is MUCH WORSE than a Quick Easy Death!

[ This Message was edited by: big bad beau 2014-03-08 20:30 ]

View Profile of Big Bad Beau Send a personal message to Big Bad Beau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
scottxwl

Posted: 2014-03-08 6:05 pm   Permalink

Paypal sent. Thanks for doing this!

View Profile of scottxwl Send a personal message to scottxwl  Email scottxwl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-09 04:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-08 17:09, Big Bad Beau wrote:
Howlin

There are things Worse than Death By Wife! Torture by Wife {or any Gender Significant Other) is MUCH WORSE than a Quick Easy Death!

[ This Message was edited by: big bad beau 2014-03-08 20:30 ]

Hehehe....who said anything about quick and/or easy??/

I showed it to my wife, THEN I showed her the ebay listing for the 88 dollar used one. Must have touched her "shopping" gene. It's ok, since I got a good deal.

(mental note to self.... anytime you buy something, find it more expensive elsewhere to show the wife).

howlinowl

[ This Message was edited by: howlinowl 2014-03-09 04:02 ]

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-09 04:12 am   Permalink

I don't know if you would know, but I am kinda curious about the original distribution of the booklet back in the day. Was the booklet offered to the general public...sold in restaurant gift shops, mail order, maybe advertised in magazines? Or was it solely intended for the bar/restaurant trade...sold through liquor distributors?

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-09 1:27 pm   Permalink

I sent a Paypal and can't wait to dig in.

gabbahey

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-10 07:04 am   Permalink

Received my copy today and was very pleased with it! Looking forward to mixing myself a Wally's Kanaka Punch!

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-10 3:57 pm   Permalink

Hopefully you don't mind, I posted a link of this thread on the thread in "Locating Tiki" for The Islands in Phoenix. I imagine that a lot of folks who visit this site may not visit the "Tiki Food and Drinks" section often and that maybe cross posting may bring a few more folks here to buy.

howlinowl

Big Bad Beau

Posted: 2014-03-10 5:28 pm   Permalink

Thanks Howlin

Very thoughtful of you and I do appreciate it!
Mahalo

View Profile of Big Bad Beau Send a personal message to Big Bad Beau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-10 6:06 pm   Permalink

I just sent a payment for one as well. Thank you.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Bad Beau

Posted: 2014-03-13 06:30 am   Permalink

Took a few pictures of a couple old 1962 Vintage Menu's from the Islands Restaurant and Tiki Bar that I found among some of my Dad's things. I am going to go through some of the stuff that he left to me, as I know there are many items he held on to that pertained to the Polynesian Culture and the Tiki Lifestyle that he so admired. Again, THANK you all for your interest and also for ordering his booklet! Is it just me, or have PRICES GONE UP OVER THE YEARS. Those were "Good Old Days"!

Kahuna Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-13 10:26 am   Permalink

Ron,

I just got my copy and I couldn't be more thrilled! It's a little piece of history and in mint condition! Thank you so very, very much for sharing this with us. And a big thank you to your Dad and to Dick Moano for creating it.

Mahalo, Aloha and Cheers!

View Profile of Kahuna Tiki Send a personal message to Kahuna Tiki  Email Kahuna Tiki Goto the website of Kahuna Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-13 11:06 am   Permalink

Mine just arrived! Like the post above, in mint condition and beautiful. To think this item had been stored away since the time of the Kennedy administration, waiting for me! I'm imagining many a night spent trying a new and different recipe! And thank you for posting the menu above! I've already recognized a few drink names from the booklet (Chinese Itch, Banana daiquiri). Thank you very much!

howlinowl

howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-13 11:19 am   Permalink

...thought I'd throw this out, the OP of this thread was asking about if the book had a Mai Tai recipe. It does, and it is surprisingly close to this recipe in a letter from TV dated 1956:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=37143&forum=1&hilite=mai tai recipe

I'm not going to post the recipe from the booklet due to the fact that I'd hate to cost Ron any sales of his booklet. But I can tell you that is is close.

Once again Ron, Thank you.

howlinowl

Big Bad Beau

Posted: 2014-03-13 5:42 pm   Permalink

BTW - I sent the OP a booklet at no charge. The Least I could do!
Ron

gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-13 9:21 pm   Permalink

I received my copy a few days ago as well. It is in great shape minus a few dents caused by my postman jamming it in the mail slot with mere junk mail. Nothing a few rum stains can't fix. Anyway, this thing is awesome and you've been just great. Here is a picture of me trying out the Islands Sour.

It is delicious and my wife loved it too.

That was already one of my favorite mugs because I like Colorado tiki stuff and there is an Phoenix Islands/Tommy Wong's Islands connection. It is outlined in this old thread:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=4380&forum=1

Thanks for everything and keep posting anything else you find.

gabbahey

[ This Message was edited by: gabbahey 2014-03-14 11:23 ]

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation