FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Badd Tiki's Tiki Ceramics
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Badd Tiki's Tiki Ceramics
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-22 11:31 am   Permalink

I figured I'd start a new thread, my old thread had a bit of non-tiki stuff creeping in.

So this one will be tiki only. And most likely ceramics only as that's what I'm doing with my free time these days.

Funny I got the ceramics bugs from looking at all the cool mugs and wanting to make some then got somewhat sidetracked into throwing and just all kinds of ideas for other stuff.

But a few weeks ago I got a strong urge to make a mug.

This was my first 'sculpture' piece. I started with a big wad of clay and started carving away. Then I cut him in half, hollowed him out and put him back together. Unfortunately as careful as I was drying slowy he started to split apart at the base.

So I pulled him apart again, rehydrated for a few days, cut the base out (I think the two base chunks of clay had too much pull apart when drying), put him on a slab base, then used sodium silicate in my slip to 'glue' him together (aka 'magic water').

He's been wrapped in plastic and drying for over a week now, and the studio is closed for the holidays so I'm hoping to have him ready to fire at the beginning of Jan.

He's a red stoneware, I'll glaze in clear which should give him a decent granite grey finish with some iron spotting. (probably rub a little stain in for contrast too).

He's 8 inches tall wet, probably 7.5 after firing. I'm thinking he might hold about 16 oz.

[ This Message was edited by: Badd Tiki 2012-12-22 11:33 ]

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-12-22 11:45 am   Permalink

GROG like.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-22 12:18 pm   Permalink

Ditto, Grog.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-22 1:29 pm   Permalink

Very cool, love the exaggerated features.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-22 1:36 pm   Permalink

He has a real personality. Good job, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-23 10:24 am   Permalink

Thanks everyone, can't wait to start on another

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-23 10:46 am   Permalink

Awesome facial bones

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-25 1:05 pm   Permalink

Unfortunately the Moai is going south fast, and I'm not talking south pacific. The crack came back... Not sure what to do with him now, slip cast at some point might be a way to go...

---

Anyway, my South Seas Art Swap piece is drying and ready for bisque:

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-25 1:36 pm   Permalink

Your Moai looks ready to mold. You should go for it. Just remember MOLD SOAP! Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-25 4:57 pm   Permalink

I love that Moai. It was bugging me because it reminded me of someone. Then I realized I was thinking of Rondo Hatton.

View Profile of Tabu Send a personal message to Tabu  Email Tabu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-28 06:24 am   Permalink

Nice take on the Moai.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-17 1:04 pm   Permalink

haha funny Tabu

-----
Well, my swap piece for the sea creatures swap came out of the kiln with some heavy dooty cracks. It's still one piece and pretty strong, just visually diminished.

Canvas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-20 7:29 pm   Permalink

Nice! Shame about the cracks. I'm no potter though, so have no idea how to avoid them. If I were I'd be called Kiln, not Canvas (lol).

View Profile of Canvas Send a personal message to Canvas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-20 8:22 pm   Permalink

thanks,

well there are a few possible reasons.

#1 guess: the large flat surface area on the shelf caused a lot of tension as the piece shrank (10% or so).

#2 : 2 slabs stuck together, both different shapes (one flat with raised square, one bowl shaped) stuck together at the edges. Wanting to shrink at different rates/pulling apart, etc..

Of course there was always concern about something happening (as with every single piece that you fire)but I didn't think it would be that bad. it's really my first piece like that.

Future fixes???
Maybe resting it on a bunch of clay marbles or rollers?
Maybe building a small wall between them (more like a box than 2 pancakes squished together)the walls could flex/bend a bit.

Chalk it up to learning experience and be grateful that Tiki Central is such a cool and forgiving place

Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 3:48 pm   Permalink

Been awhile since i've done tiki specific stuff, but got this out of the kiln today. Just a little jar, about 5 inches tall. Thrown and carved.

And something that MIGHT fit in...

A skeleton candle lantern

[ This Message was edited by: Badd Tiki 2013-06-17 15:50 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation