FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT


advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events The Polynesian Paradise Dancers with CAKE (the band) for New Years
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
The Polynesian Paradise Dancers with CAKE (the band) for New Years
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 12, 2004
Posts: 3985
From: SOCAL
Posted: 2013-01-02 12:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-02 11:37, TheClamsCasino wrote:
I'm just gonna say the Untouchables didn't belong at TO and take the flames as they come.



No arguments here. Sure, great band....I remember them in high school when I was a mod....

but I can't think of even one thing tiki about them.

I am all for the big tent, to widen the appeal....but c'mon already! I would not have any problems with most of this if a true hapa haole band (like mine) was included....but this is like ordering spaghetti and being told that marinara sauce is not a good fit for the dish.

My favorite thread on this forum, hands down, was the polynesian floor show thread. Band after band in those pictures were hapa haole bands or something extremely similar....yet, the actual bands and the actual music have very little appeal to a majority of people here...I just don't get it.

I mean, I grew up (like everyone here) surrounded by rock music. When I was a teenager, a trip to the music store was to be subjected to nothing but pointy guitars played by dudes wearing make-up and with blown dried hair.

It's boring. Then, and now. We are immersed in it, surrounded by it. I always looked at tiki as something different....no matter what your upbringing was, the vintage music made during that era was excellent, and has stood the test of time. Shame more people don't get it.


 
View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Posts: 6838
From: Tujunga
Posted: 2013-01-03 03:11 am   Permalink

Need some Beatles music.

[ This Message was edited by: grog 2013-01-03 04:15 ]


 
View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Aug 10, 2004
Posts: 8849
From: Anaheim,Ca.
Posted: 2013-01-04 12:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-02 10:07, lucas vigor wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-01-01 18:47, bigtikidude wrote:
Lucas,

who are these punk rock tiki bands you speak of?

I don't know of any.
but I might go see them if I knew there name,
and where they played.

if yer to afarid to post it publicly
call me.

Jeff(btd)





Jeff, why must you always call me out, and make me "go there"?

Ok, I'll play....for starters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF73Q2hgiOc

headlining the biggest "tiki" event in the world. Meanwhile, a hapa haole band that has been gigging for 10 years now is told they are "innapropriate" for a tiki event, not even poolside, not even in the elevators....

So a mosh pit is ok, but vintage hawaiian music is not. Can someone please explain that to me?

Maybe we are not cool enough for oasis....but we sure are cool enough for the NAMM show, where we will be performing in two weeks.




Lucas,

I'm not sure, but I would think that the Creepy Creeps would say that they are (not) a Tiki Band.
They played one year on the main stage, The Zombie theme year(Zombie-Creepy Creep)
get it?
They Have a Side project called Creep-zotica that has played by the pool.
Very mellow surf/lounge versions of their songs, and new ones.

But you wouldn't know that, because yer never there.
I would think if you liked tiki, you would go to events.
But we only see you at Tiki Events that yer playing at,
then you leave shortly after.
So yer take on what is going on is very limited,
and biased.
Try going to an event and soaking in what is going on.
Instead of trying to figure out why yer not playing it.

Jeff(btd)




[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2013-01-04 00:21 ]


 
View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Joined: Mar 29, 2002
Posts: 852
From: NorCal
Posted: 2013-01-04 8:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-02 11:37, TheClamsCasino wrote:
I'm just gonna say the Untouchables didn't belong at TO and take the flames as they come.



For those of you who are newbies (Clams) to the Tiki Oasis party, or or those of you who have never been (Lucas), Tiki Oasis is themed in order to present a wide array of art and musical acts that are tangentially associated with Exotica. Usually we try to present Exotica-centric bands on Friday (Ernie Menehune, WAITIKI, Bob Drasnin, APE, Tikiyaki Orch, Tiki Joe's Ocean, The Maikai Gents, etc) and bands related to the theme on Saturday (HERB, Untouchables, Phantom Surfers, Ghastly Ones, magician James Dimarre, etc).

Here's how The Untouchables fit the bill for Tiki Oasis. (speaking very slowly so everyone understands) Last year's Tiki Oasis was "Spy" themed. One of their biggest hits was "I Spy for the FBI" and a great spy video accompanied it. They also do "Agent 00 Soul" a spy/ska/soul classic. And they wear suits and fedoras so they look pretty secret agent-y to begin with.

Now, long before YOU were into Tiki, The Untouchables were into Tiki. Naturally since they were into vintage 1960s culture they would be fans of Tiki. This comic book, albiet it VERY 80s in an MC Hammer kind of way, shows them as secret agents versus the Tiki Brothers!

So not only is there a strong spy connection but a slight Tiki connection.


look in upper right corner of this panel for Tiki mask grafitti





 
View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
greenfire
Member

Joined: Oct 17, 2005
Posts: 8
Posted: 2013-01-04 9:07 pm   Permalink

To me, the sound of "Tiki" is all about Martin Denny and that type of sound.

 
View Profile of greenfire Send a personal message to greenfire      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 12, 2004
Posts: 3985
From: SOCAL
Posted: 2013-01-05 08:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-04 20:46, Otto wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-01-02 11:37, TheClamsCasino wrote:
I'm just gonna say the Untouchables didn't belong at TO and take the flames as they come.



For those of you who are newbies (Clams) to the Tiki Oasis party, or or those of you who have never been (Lucas), Tiki Oasis is themed in order to present a wide array of art and musical acts that are tangentially associated with Exotica. Usually we try to present Exotica-centric bands on Friday (Ernie Menehune, WAITIKI, Bob Drasnin, APE, Tikiyaki Orch, Tiki Joe's Ocean, The Maikai Gents, etc) and bands related to the theme on Saturday (HERB, Untouchables, Phantom Surfers, Ghastly Ones, magician James Dimarre, etc).

Here's how The Untouchables fit the bill for Tiki Oasis. (speaking very slowly so everyone understands) Last year's Tiki Oasis was "Spy" themed. One of their biggest hits was "I Spy for the FBI" and a great spy video accompanied it. They also do "Agent 00 Soul" a spy/ska/soul classic. And they wear suits and fedoras so they look pretty secret agent-y to begin with.

Now, long before YOU were into Tiki, The Untouchables were into Tiki. Naturally since they were into vintage 1960s culture they would be fans of Tiki. This comic book, albiet it VERY 80s in an MC Hammer kind of way, shows them as secret agents versus the Tiki Brothers!

So not only is there a strong spy connection but a slight Tiki connection.




First off, Otto, I was at the 2004 tiki oasis when it was still at caliente. You might remember that was the first and last time the smokin menehunes played your event. Then, while I was still in the hula girls, I played 3 tiki oasis events, that included car shows, room parties and main stage.

Second, I don't know if the "long before you were into tiki" was directed at me, but I have been listening to Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman since I was 5 years old...and that would be around 1970. Been "into" tiki culture since I lived in hawaii during the 80's. However, did not know it was called "tiki" until I discovered this forum.

Also, as I mentioned, the untouchables surely are a good band, but they are so marginally tiki it's laughable. You are connecting the dots in a very nebulous way, and so do a lot of other people on this forum, and at the same time, you totally exclude hapa haole music from your event, and specifically my band, for whatever reasons you have. Whatever happened in the past was almost 10 years ago now. Great music should be bigger then that, you know?
_________________
http://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/sets/set-3/

I AM A SOCIOPATH!


 
View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 12, 2004
Posts: 3985
From: SOCAL
Posted: 2013-01-05 09:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-05 08:01, lucas vigor wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-01-04 20:46, Otto wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-01-02 11:37, TheClamsCasino wrote:
I'm just gonna say the Untouchables didn't belong at TO and take the flames as they come.



For those of you who are newbies (Clams) to the Tiki Oasis party, or or those of you who have never been (Lucas), Tiki Oasis is themed in order to present a wide array of art and musical acts that are tangentially associated with Exotica. Usually we try to present Exotica-centric bands on Friday (Ernie Menehune, WAITIKI, Bob Drasnin, APE, Tikiyaki Orch, Tiki Joe's Ocean, The Maikai Gents, etc) and bands related to the theme on Saturday (HERB, Untouchables, Phantom Surfers, Ghastly Ones, magician James Dimarre, etc).

Here's how The Untouchables fit the bill for Tiki Oasis. (speaking very slowly so everyone understands) Last year's Tiki Oasis was "Spy" themed. One of their biggest hits was "I Spy for the FBI" and a great spy video accompanied it. They also do "Agent 00 Soul" a spy/ska/soul classic. And they wear suits and fedoras so they look pretty secret agent-y to begin with.

Now, long before YOU were into Tiki, The Untouchables were into Tiki. Naturally since they were into vintage 1960s culture they would be fans of Tiki. This comic book, albiet it VERY 80s in an MC Hammer kind of way, shows them as secret agents versus the Tiki Brothers!

So not only is there a strong spy connection but a slight Tiki connection.




First off, Otto, I was at the 2004 tiki oasis when it was still at caliente. You might remember that was the first and last time the smokin menehunes played your event. Then, while I was still in the hula girls, I played 3 tiki oasis events, that included car shows, room parties and main stage.

Second, I don't know if the "long before you were into tiki" was directed at me, but I have been listening to Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman since I was 5 years old...and that would be around 1970. Been "into" tiki culture since I lived in hawaii during the 80's. However, did not know it was called "tiki" until I discovered this forum.

Also, as I mentioned, the untouchables surely are a good band, but they are so marginally tiki it's laughable. You are connecting the dots in a very nebulous way, and so do a lot of other people on this forum, and at the same time, you totally exclude hapa haole music from your event, and specifically my band, for whatever reasons you have. Whatever happened in the past was almost 10 years ago now. Great music should be bigger then that, you know?


Our founder, Uncle Pat Enos:






_________________
http://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/sets/set-3/

I AM A SOCIOPATH!


 
View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Aug 22, 2009
Posts: 551
From: Cucamonga, CA
Posted: 2013-01-05 11:34 am   Permalink

The Polynesian Paradise Dancers are pretty good

 
View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Joined: Mar 29, 2002
Posts: 852
From: NorCal
Posted: 2013-01-05 7:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-05 09:40, lucas vigor wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-01-05 08:01, lucas vigor wrote:
Quote:





First off, Otto, I was at the 2004 tiki oasis when it was still at caliente. You might remember that was the first and last time the smokin menehunes played your event. Then, while I was still in the hula girls, I played 3 tiki oasis events, that included car shows, room parties and main stage.

Second, I don't know if the "long before you were into tiki" was directed at me, but I have been listening to Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman since I was 5 years old...and that would be around 1970. Been "into" tiki culture since I lived in hawaii during the 80's. However, did not know it was called "tiki" until I discovered this forum.

Also, as I mentioned, the untouchables surely are a good band, but they are so marginally tiki it's laughable. You are connecting the dots in a very nebulous way, and so do a lot of other people on this forum, and at the same time, you totally exclude hapa haole music from your event, and specifically my band, for whatever reasons you have. Whatever happened in the past was almost 10 years ago now. Great music should be bigger then that, you know?


Our founder, Uncle Pat Enos:







Lucas,
My apologies. I did not realize that you were in the Smokin Menehunes back when they played Caliente tropics.
Also forgot that you were in the Hula Girls earlier on. Of course I remember the last time The Hula Girls played on the main stage with you in band, I believe I talked to you briefly backstage.

My apologies again for referring to you as new to neo-Tiki. I have only heard from you since 2004 and I know Sven has been researching Tiki Bars since at least 1984 and I have been frequenting Tiki bars since I was about 22 (Kelbo's in 1986)

And, as I noted, I am not against Hapa Haole music, The Maikai Gents have played many TO, Ernie Menehune is classic Haole music, The Friki Tikis played one year, the Uke jam has been a very successful aspect of TO since moving to SD and they play Haole Hawaiian tunes.

I often throw in some hulas and haole Hawaiian tunes during my monthly Exotica DJ gigs that I have been doing at Forbidden Island for a few years and other locations for the past 16 years.


 
View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 12, 2004
Posts: 3985
From: SOCAL
Posted: 2013-01-05 8:31 pm   Permalink

Sorry, otto. I don't mean to come off as such a dick...I am just really passionate about hapa haole music. I have always held it as equal weight with exotica, when it comes to tiki.

 
View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Joined: Mar 29, 2002
Posts: 852
From: NorCal
Posted: 2013-01-05 9:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-05 20:31, lucas vigor wrote:
Sorry, otto. I don't mean to come off as such a dick...I am just really passionate about hapa haole music. I have always held it as equal weight with exotica, when it comes to tiki.



I appreciate passion. I think our interests interestingly overlap.


 
View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:
  
v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation