[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Plunge Pirate Saloon
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
The Plunge Pirate Saloon
jimbo020
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-01-06 06:57 am   Permalink

Some shots of our pool tiki bar named the "The Plunge Pirate Saloon" I have some more changes planned for next summer, but right now it's 5 degrees outside here...

View Profile of jimbo020 Send a personal message to jimbo020      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-06 3:46 pm   Permalink

It's not a tiki bar...it's a Jimmy Buffet bar!

Spend some time on this forum, especially taking note of the other threads in this particular section. Using what you already have, and adding real tiki touches here and there, you might have something! For many here, it is a lifelong pursuit....but you are already halfway there since your structure is already built.

You need bamboo, real tikis, tapa cloth, possibly a thatch roof, tropical plants, ambient lighting, blowfish lamps, spears, shields, there are soooooo many things you can add that would turn this into something special.

A great starting point (besides this forum) is to pick up "book of tiki" by Sven Kirsten.

Then check out the work of the master decorators on this forum, such as Bamboo Ben.

http://critiki.com/pictures/?loc_id=77#/3

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2013-01-06 15:48 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-06 5:38 pm   Permalink

No tiki? Jimbo, you should hit up Lake Surfer. He is in Milwaukee.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimbo020
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-01-06 5:57 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the tips guys! Actually the pics are a little old and I have done some changes already. The roof is cedar shakes as I know the thatch will not hold up thru the winters here. Neither will tropical plants. So I do what I can with that, and I have my plants in the house for winter. But they will never be big. I already have some cool lighting for inside, and I am working on re-doing the surfboard thing with some thatch and a shelf or two for my tiki mugs and booze. I have been looking for that 'just right' tikis, and we do use several torches these days. A while back (on here somewhere) I saw someone had a tiki serving tray (utinsel/napkin/condiment holder) it was awesome! I have not seen one anywhere for sale. SO i am still hunting for that. Always open for suggestions as I trust this will always be a work in progress...

[ This Message was edited by: jimbo020 2013-01-06 18:01 ]

View Profile of jimbo020 Send a personal message to jimbo020      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-06 6:44 pm   Permalink

You might look at fake tropical plants. They can be somewhat pricey, though!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-06 9:43 pm   Permalink

Welcome Jimbo! I live in the desert so I understand the challenge of getting things that look tropical and will survive the climate. This thread on Tropical Gardens with Hardy Plants may be of use to you.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimbo020
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-01-07 04:09 am   Permalink

Excellent!! Thank you!

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-07 9:47 pm   Permalink

Welcome to TC. I have to use fake plants in my lounge as I have a tendency to kill live plants. It's all good...you do what you can. Lot's of beautiful Tikis to be had in the marketplace on this board...wink wink wink.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-08 06:22 am   Permalink

"I saw someone had a tiki serving tray (utinsel/napkin/condiment holder)"
Like this???

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimbo020
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-01-10 4:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-08 06:22, tikiskip wrote:
"I saw someone had a tiki serving tray (utinsel/napkin/condiment holder)"
Like this???

YES YES!! The rectangle tray is it!!! I see it is from the FI Tiki Bar... wonder if they are homemade... SOOO cool tho, I would LOVE to have one of them!

Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-10 5:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

YES YES!! The rectangle tray is it!!! I see it is from the FI Tiki Bar... wonder if they are homemade... SOOO cool tho, I would LOVE to have one of them!

Tikiskip made them.

AWESOME stuff!

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=18485&forum=18

[ This Message was edited by: Dagg 2013-01-10 17:48 ]

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-10 6:35 pm   Permalink

Jimbo, when you are chatting on TC with others you are often chatting with the artists that create the look for many of the Tiki bars and restaurants of this century. Even last century! Many here, myself included, actually carve tikis, make lamps, mugs, accoutrement etc, for private home bars and restaurants. Take a look thru the Tiki Gallery.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimbo020
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-01-10 6:53 pm   Permalink

yes, there are some great artists here. Truly gifted. Thanks for the tips!! Just looking for ideas for next summer's Tiki bar work! I am in MN, where the water in my pool is currently frozen

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-10 6:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-10 18:53, jimbo020 wrote:
yes, there are some great artists here. Truly gifted. Thanks for the tips!! Just looking for ideas for next summer's Tiki bar work! I am in MN, where the water in my pool is currently frozen

So you have an Ice Skate rink!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-10 11:52 pm   Permalink

It is always tropical at Psycho Suzi's.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation