Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Kauai Suggestions
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Kauai Suggestions
Tikitrent

Posted: 2013-01-09 2:15 pm   Permalink

Hello everyone! My fiancee and I are planning our Kauai honeymoon and are looking for some tips! What are the must sees and the cool, out of the way gems!
Thanks!

View Profile of Tikitrent Send a personal message to Tikitrent      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-09 4:27 pm   Permalink

We just got back from a week in Kauai.

Get this book and the app for your phone.
http://www.hawaiirevealed.com/books-apps/kauai-revealed

We rented a car and drove the whole Island using the app to guide us.

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-09 4:58 pm   Permalink

Tahiti Nui in Hanalei-right on Kuhio Hiway. Dinner at the Blue Dolphin. Both best enjoyed at dusk.
Have fun!
Correction; the proper name is the "Hanalei Dolphin"

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-01-09 16:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-01-10 23:00 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-09 9:28 pm   Permalink

What do you like to do? There's not much in the way of nightlife, but there's tons of outdoor activity. A rental car is a must regardless.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hibiscus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-11 07:44 am   Permalink

As people said, Hanalei (Tahiti Nui, Tiki Man pizza (awesome Huli Huli chicken pizza!), the bay and pier, and Havaiki Oceanic Arts for cool South Pacific art). Drive all the way to the end of the road to Ha'ena State Park for a beautiful beach and a view of the start of the Na Pali coast.

Waimea Canyon and further up the road to Kalalau Lookout. The Na Pali coast, either by boat or helicopter, depending on your budget. Kilauea Point lighthouse and bird sanctuary (on the way to Hanalei) for gorgeous views and great birds like the endangered nene goose and giant Laysan albatross. Kilohana Plantation and the Koloa Rum distillery and store, plus their great restaurant, 22 North (formerly Gaylord's) are definitely worth a visit, as is the aforementioned Hanalei Dolphin.

Go to Spouting Horn near Poipu just before sunset to see the blowhole turning pink and gold. Then turn around and see the amazing sunset behind you.

If you're staying in the south, Kalaheo Cafe does great breakfasts. Also near Kalaheo is the Trading Post, for all your souvenir needs. Plantation Gardens restaurant in the Kiahuna Plantation in Poipu is a perfect place for an excellent romantic dinner, set in an orchid garden. Highly recommended! Across the road is the little Poipu Shopping Center and Keoki's restaurant - not as fancy or excellent, but solidly good and with a nice tiki/Hawaiiana vibe.

The "Garden Island", as it's known, is green and lush for a reason - there's going to be rain at some point on your trip. No worries - hop in the car and drive about 15 minutes anywhere. Chances are it will be sunnier there. The winter months are generally wetter, and if hiking is in your plans, that's the one time the rain might affect you, as apparently some trails wash away.

As someone else posted, you're not going to get much in the way of nightlife beyond (sometimes very good!) local musicians playing at places like the Nui and other little bars and restaurants, but that's part of Kauai's charm.

Here's a thread from our last Kaua'i trip (scroll past the Maui info to get to it)...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=38587&forum=16&start=0&hilite=hibiscus%20kauai

Kaua'i is a magical place. Much more low-key than the other major Hawaiian islands and very special. I love it!

View Profile of Hibiscus Send a personal message to Hibiscus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikitrent

Posted: 2013-01-11 08:19 am   Permalink

Awesome! Thanks for the help everybody. I will post photos when we return! Has anybody been to the Hindu Monastery? It sounds like it would be really cool!

View Profile of Tikitrent Send a personal message to Tikitrent      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-11 9:18 pm   Permalink

In my earlier post I forgot to mention "Brennigan's" on the beach at Poipu. A little noisy at lunch but there is a beautiful view and the grinds are ono.
At the opposite end of the island (hour, hour and a half or so) is the beach at Hanalei. Gotta be one of the prettiest spots on earth. Swimming not so good but a short walk past the pier is the St Regis Princeville. A drink at the pool bar there and you might wanna stay on Kauai for a long long time

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-12 8:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-11 08:19, Tikitrent wrote:
Awesome! Thanks for the help everybody. I will post photos when we return! Has anybody been to the Hindu Monastery? It sounds like it would be really cool!

The Hindu Monastery is a breathtaking place, once you find it. Although on the main hwy, there is no sign, and I turned into a private home, where the driver told me I was the 2nd that morning. The monastery is open for touring in the mornings and there are guided tours. There are breathtaking views of the river, a dramatic walk through the above-ground Banyan tree routs and a dazzling "chapel" area.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-12 8:43 pm   Permalink

The Kauai Tiki report thread:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=1171&forum=16&start=0&hilite=kauai

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-18 09:46 am   Permalink

In a word, Lumahai Beach and ke'e beach. Well, that's two words, innit?

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-18 10:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-11 21:18, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
In my earlier post I forgot to mention "Brennigan's" on the beach at Poipu. A little noisy at lunch but there is a beautiful view and the grinds are ono.

Did you mean "Brennecke's"? I don't know of a Brennigan's...

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zond2
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-19 12:04 am   Permalink

If you qualify you can buy groceries at mainland prices at the Barking Sands Naval Base.
The Base club also has good eats.

View Profile of zond2 Send a personal message to zond2      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-28 6:56 pm   Permalink

sweet just booked our hotel and flight there (cant book return for a week)

My Kauai to do wish list

Coco palms tour (if possible)
Havaiki
drink
Tiki Iniki if its open
the blue room
drink
tube down a ditch
snorkel & hike & kayak
get a sunburn while drinking
shop
drink
maybe surf (its been a while)
drink
and drink some more

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-28 9:10 pm   Permalink

Dagg, when are you coming?
Coco Palms tours are at 2PM daily, it's $20 which seems totally worth it to me. Maybe I'll go, I still haven't gone yet!
For hiking, I highly recommend the first two miles of the kalalau trail. It doesn't get any better! Bring actual hiking shoes if you gottem.
Blue room...? Do you mean the blue hole?

Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-28 9:26 pm   Permalink

Hey Bill
Get there on Feb 25 and leave for two days on Oahu on March 3rd

Blue room is supposed to be a cool cave on the North end.
at about a min 33 of this vid, but I recommend watching the whole thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YljMbYXbjXE

i think this is the trail head to the cave (its not the cave on the road)

[ This Message was edited by: Dagg 2013-01-28 21:33 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Dagg 2013-01-28 21:45 ]

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation