Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-02 09:19 am   Permalink

COMING July 2013

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Fun for you!
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

[ This Message was edited by: revbambooben 2013-05-10 19:40 ]

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikitrent

Posted: 2013-02-09 4:16 pm   Permalink

Damn! Tiki Iniki isn't opening until Apri1?! It says February on the website!! Too bad we are going in March!

View Profile of Tikitrent Send a personal message to Tikitrent      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-15 9:22 pm   Permalink

Smiths Family Luau.
Ono buffet
And this morai:

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 2013-02-15 21:24 ]

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-08 11:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-09 16:27, Murph wrote:
We just got back from a week in Kauai.

Get this book and the app for your phone.
http://www.hawaiirevealed.com/books-apps/kauai-revealed

We rented a car and drove the whole Island using the app to guide us.

We too just got back from Kauai, this app was AWESOME! Used it daily for navigating and restaurant reviews, every meal was great!
If you are going to Kauai you MUST get this app.

Thanks for the tip Murph

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-08 1:30 pm   Permalink

Tunnels Beach - North Shore

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-05 2:23 pm   Permalink

My Public Service Announcement:

Somebody drowned here yesterday, a tourist from California.

From an online report: "More drownings occur on Kauai beaches than on any other Hawaiian island. During the last decade, Kauai has averaged 11 drowning deaths per year. Visitors comprise three quarters of the drowning fatalities."

This is the 13th week of 2013, and we've already had ELEVEN drownings. Almost one a week. Most have been tourists, but a couple have been longtime residents.

All of last year there were 8.

If you come here, PLEASE be way more cautious than you think you need to be, while in the ocean or even on the shore. Only 7 of the 58 beaches on the island have a lifeguard.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-05 2:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-08 11:11, Dagg wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-01-09 16:27, Murph wrote:
We just got back from a week in Kauai.

Get this book and the app for your phone.
http://www.hawaiirevealed.com/books-apps/kauai-revealed

We rented a car and drove the whole Island using the app to guide us.

We too just got back from Kauai, this app was AWESOME! Used it daily for navigating and restaurant reviews, every meal was great!
If you are going to Kauai you MUST get this app.

Thanks for the tip Murph

Darren you're welcome. It really is an awesome app!

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-26 9:12 pm   Permalink

We visited Kauai earlier this month, so figured I'd post our Mai Tai findings.

Last time I was there, about 6 years ago, the best Mai Tai I had was actually at the Smith's luau (walk the pre-made drink over the the bar and have them put a float of dark rum on top; makes all the difference.) This time we did better.

Mahiko Lounge at Gaylord's, Kilohana Plantation, Lihue. This was the best we found for a real/Trader Vic's style. No screwing around! Pay the extra buck or two for them to use Koloa rum. They do add a little fresh-pressed sugar cane juice, which worked. We went here twice - the bartender the first time made them best, but they were easily worth drinking on the second visit, too.

Feral Pig, Lihue. These guys also make a nice from-scratch drink. They make their own orgeat and were maybe a little heavy-handed with it - the drink had kind of a thick texture. But a good drink, and kept consistent between different bartenders. Worth repeating.

Oasis on the Beach, at Waipouli Beach Resort, Kapa'a. This is fairly similar to the Feral Pig's drink, but a notch below, and missing mint. They also make their own orgeat and their drink also has that thicker texture. They also add a little bit of passion fruit. They used Whaler's for the float - wish we'd thought to ask whether they had Koloa. I thought the drink had a little bit of an odd flavor at first, but overall a better choice than you'll find most places.

Tiki Iniki, Priceville. Sadly, a huge disappointment. On paper it's a Trader Vic's recipe, but it was terribly executed. I don't know how they got that result out of those ingredients - it just tasted like Sprite. They were by far the most generous with the mint, but I couldn't smell or taste it (I posted more in the Iniki thread in Locating Tiki.)

Tahiti Nui, Hanalei. Everybody knows this isn't a 'real' Mai Tai, but had to admit it was pretty tasty.

For excellent beer, we highly recommend Kauai Beer Company on Rice Street in Lihue. Their beers were all good, and their porter (KokoBoPo) was phenomenal! Right now they're only open Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday, with food trucks available at 5 on Thursdays. They expect to have their own kitchen open in a few months, though. NOT to be confused with Kauai Island Brewing in Port Allen (they were OK, but their beers were more average.)

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 3 days ago; 7:39 pm   Permalink

Kauai's Kekaha Beach has the most white sand in the state.
http://www.kauai.com/beaches/kekaha-beach

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zond2
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 3 days ago; 8:33 pm   Permalink

If you got privilages you can buy groceries at the Barking Sands Naval Base for mainland prices, the base club, Shenannigans, isn't bad and you can rent a 2 bedroom bungalo for 60 to ~100 a night pending on your status and pay grade. We plan on heading back in 2015 for 2 weeks.

View Profile of zond2 Send a personal message to zond2      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mockingbird

Posted: Yesterday; 3:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-26 21:12, bamalamalu wrote:
We visited Kauai earlier this month, so figured I'd post our Mai Tai findings.

Last time I was there, about 6 years ago, the best Mai Tai I had was actually at the Smith's luau (walk the pre-made drink over the the bar and have them put a float of dark rum on top; makes all the difference.) This time we did better.

Mahiko Lounge at Gaylord's, Kilohana Plantation, Lihue. This was the best we found for a real/Trader Vic's style. No screwing around! Pay the extra buck or two for them to use Koloa rum. They do add a little fresh-pressed sugar cane juice, which worked. We went here twice - the bartender the first time made them best, but they were easily worth drinking on the second visit, too.

My Wife and I visited in 2012 and I will second the fact that Gaylord's makes a fantastic Mai Tai. We are big fans of Koloa Rum as well. Also I don't know if they are still doing them with the recent ownership change over and all but take the tour of the Coco Palms! Was a really cool experience.

View Profile of Mockingbird Send a personal message to Mockingbird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Yesterday; 8:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-04-15 15:32, Mockingbird wrote:
Also I don't know if they are still doing them with the recent ownership change over and all but take the tour of the Coco Palms! Was a really cool experience.

Bob is still doing the tours, Monday through Friday at 2PM. He has said they will continue until (re)construction starts up, probably early 2015.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Yesterday; 9:24 pm   Permalink

And it's a steal at $20!

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation