FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Save the Waldorf Hotel
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Save the Waldorf Hotel
Kilaueakyd
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-01-17 10:53 pm   Permalink

I will sign. I was so looking forward to seeing it this summer.

View Profile of Kilaueakyd Send a personal message to Kilaueakyd  Email Kilaueakyd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-22 06:34 am   Permalink

So did they have to vacate?
Last I heard, negotiations had broken down.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-22 07:55 am   Permalink

I just did a quick web search and recent articles and reports (from within the past 3-7 days) seem to indicate this weekend was their last. Although, on a positive note, one site reported a week ago that the city has issued a "120-day protection order" for the Waldorf.

http://www.straight.com/news/342891/vancouver-issues-120-day-protection-order-waldorf-hotel

Anyone else have an update? I can't see the Waldorf Facebook page here at work, it may have more up-to-the-minute news. Clearly there are quite a few people in Vancouver who want to prevent the loss of this venue.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-01-22 11:22 am   Permalink

I just got this email from change.org

The Waldorf Hotel, as we know it, has been shut down after being sold to giant condo developer Solterra Group. Moving trucks are removing furniture and equipment today.

Our city just became more cold and costly.

Despite the closure negotiations between Solterra and Waldorf Productions creative team continue. There is a window of opportunity for a deal to be made and for the Waldorf to re-open.

For that to happen Solterra needs to feel public pressure. We have learned that Solterra does not want to be dealing with this public relations nightmare. Our actions are working.

Send Solterra a message calling on them to negotiate a fair long-term lease agreement with Waldorf Productions >>
www.savethewaldorf.ca

With hope,

Tara, Tim, Jen, Nicole, Glyn and friends on behalf of #SaveTheWaldorf

www.savethewaldorf.ca

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captainwhoopass
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-01-22 11:25 am   Permalink

Thank you for the link. Just sent my message to Solterra.

View Profile of Captainwhoopass Send a personal message to Captainwhoopass      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-22 12:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-22 11:22, tikilongbeach wrote:

Send Solterra a message calling on them to negotiate a fair long-term lease agreement with Waldorf Productions >> http://www.savethewaldorf.ca

done

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-22 5:16 pm   Permalink

"Waldorf closure spurs unprecedented civic engagement" in the Vancouver Observer.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Ho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-26 12:35 pm   Permalink

Signed and posted the http://www.change.org/petitions/city-of-vancouver-save-the-waldorf-hotel-2# link on http://Facebook.com/orchestrotica - good luck to them!
http://orchestrotica.com/ ••• New album Nov. 2013

View Profile of Mr. Ho Send a personal message to Mr. Ho  Email Mr. Ho Goto the website of Mr. Ho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-26 4:29 pm   Permalink

Signed...best of luck on this saving effort.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-26 5:20 pm   Permalink

I signed the petition and sent the message I hope it helps the cause!

Lori

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
toadman

Posted: 2013-01-27 8:31 pm   Permalink

My wife and I got married in the Tiki Bar @ The Waldorf in 2010 , it is a real treasure . Sadly in todays world it has has no equal, most if not all of these spaces are long gone . I love the Tiki Bar but don't think it was utilised to it's full potential in the traditional sense , it became a DJ oriented hipster hangout with the current management , most patrons had no appreciation for the space , it's history or what it represents , or tiki culture . I honestly hope this is saved , and moving forward is preserved in the traditional sense . This may not make economic sense to the new owners ,to keep the bar as it stands , tiki is (Iknow) a niche market , but history and diversity I believe is important in every community/city , we ned to preserve things from our past

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfBOHWUOo3E

View Profile of toadman Send a personal message to toadman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-31 3:06 pm   Permalink

87 pages of Waldorf history!

From the facebook group

Incredible read. 87-pages of Waldorf Hotel history was collected over the past few weeks by a group of volunteers and submitted to Van City Hall staff as a "Statement of Significance." This is in support of the application to designate the Hotel as a heritage building.

City officials said they had never seen a "community-derived" submission like this before. Way to go Jen Cook, Holly Fox, et al for bringing out the best in our city.

To read the full submission
http://ge.tt/2Bymg1X/v/0?c

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MoonBeach
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-27 8:00 pm   Permalink

Waldorf Hotel rooms and cafe appear to be open for business again, lounge and downstairs available for special occasions. Hopefully they're working on getting the lounge or at least a pub open to the public on a regular hours basis. www.waldorfhotel.com

View Profile of MoonBeach Send a personal message to MoonBeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2013-02-27 8:24 pm   Permalink

That's Great!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-28 04:30 am   Permalink

HOORAY!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation